jfaaz

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

the Epi Valve Jr Army!!

Their weapon of choice: BAD TONE!!!

Their area of expertise: POLISHING TURDS!!!

SOUND OFF!!!

HOW MUCH MONEY CAN WE DUMP INTO A CRAPPY AMP ?!?!?!?!

HUNDREDS SIR!!!!!!!!

HOW DOES IT SOUND AFTERWARDS?!!?!?!?!

STILL LIKE {censored} SIR!!!!!!!

at ease soldiers

lol, come on Robotroll, try harder

• Members
Originally posted by MR MARCUS

I am officially AWOL. Sold and shipped off yesterday.
:p

seeing as how there is now a vacancy at the Colonel level, and I am currently at the Lt Colonel rank, I hereby submit my application for promotion. As applicable experience, I have also just done the OT swap as my first amp mod, and am loving the results.

Please advise.

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

seeing as how there is now a vacancy at the Colonel level, and I am currently at the Lt Colonel rank, I hereby submit my application for promotion. As applicable experience, I have also just done the OT swap as my first amp mod, and am loving the results.

Please advise.

Wear your bird proud Colonel Mamberg.

You have officialy been promoted!

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

Guys, I have one on it's way (should be here today) and I plan on modding it. Now, I'm no stranger to doing solder work and have modded several ADA MP-1's. What's the best way to discharge this thing?

According to a couple of posts here, and verified by a visit to 18watt.com, the caps are self-discharging.

If you have a few hours, there is a monster 150 page post concerning all the available mods for this thing at 18watt.com, although you have to register to be a member.

• Members

Hmmm. I did register over at 18watt. I went to several sites and they all talked about needing to discharge the amp. Hadn't seen any posts that it was self discharging. Maybe I missed it as I haven't read through the entire mod thread over at 18watt yet.

• Members

Originally posted by mamberg

According to a couple of posts here, and verified by a visit to 18watt.com, the caps are self-discharging.

Even if it's self-discharging, i would still test before you stick your hand in there.

I use a 10K 5W resistor, with alligator clips on each end. I used the shrink wrap on each end so there was no way i could touch the wire.

Clip one side to the + and the other to the ground. Test again to make sure its safe.

• Members

Well, I guess I've been drafted, since I bought a jr. head for Xmas. I look forward to doing some on the mods.

All dissing aside, I like it just because it's gives me an amp that I can tote around the house and jam out on without having to go to my music room and dissasemble, etc.

I just run it though an ICBM, and it sounds pretty decent to me.

• Members

For me, I just wanted a small rig for home use since my full rig is kept at the practice pad for the band. I have the head coming since I'd prefer to use my own cabinet and there are so few other options like this available for a true tube amp.

• Members

I think I should head up weapons development - scratch built mine with top-end components.
:D

Front.jpg

Completeinside.jpg

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=273037

With a 12AX7 it's a total gain-monster, and even with a 12AU7 it still gets seriously crunchy. I had to prise it out of AlGroves fingers after the Liverpool ampfest. It's enjoyed a fair bit of tweakeage since those original recordings to get the fizz out.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

Hmmm. I did register over at 18watt. I went to several sites and they all talked about needing to discharge the amp. Hadn't seen any posts that it was self discharging. Maybe I missed it as I haven't read through the entire mod thread over at 18watt yet.

when I just looked, there is a post that shows up as the first on page 147.

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:35 pm - that post calls out the self bleeding resistor on the PDB.

They do recommend getting in the habit of discharging always though, too, as a standard procedure. I didn't, though, and didn't get any surprises.

• Members

I don't think the guys on 18watt will mind if I borrow jxoco's post (page 148):

The two links have the full lists of parts within the page but to help;

zaphod_phil wrote:

"Gold-Plated Mods" would be:

R1 1meg

R2 10K

R6 shorted out

R7 91k, or replaced with 500K or 250k pot, for Gain control

R8 1k or 1.5k (the exact value doesn't matter too much)

R9 620 ohms

R14 240 ohms 1watt

R10 1K 3watt

C3 3.3uf (or anything between 2uF to 4.7uF to your taste) 25V

C4 3.3uF ( .......................... ditto ..............................)

C5 1000uF 25V

If possible insert 1k 1watt screen resistor into connection to EL84 pin 9

(this involves cutting the circuit board copper track with a scalpel or sharp craft knife)

That will really make your little VJr rock.

A couple of better quality tubes also wouldn't be a bad idea.

"Deluxe gold" mod level;

all of the above plus,

Change Output Transformer to hammond 125DSE or 125ESE

Then once you've got the hang of modding the VJr, you'll be ready to build your first 18W
:)

And then the 'Fenderize'

zaphod_phil wrote:

OK, I've been on a plane flight and had time to think about the Fender idea. Here's what you need to do:

R1 = 1M (leave R2=68k)

R8 & R9 =1.5k

Remove C3 & C4

R6 & R7 = 100k

C5 = 1000uF 25V

R14 = 240 or 270 ohms (depends on B+ voltage) 1 watt

R15 = 5.6k

Change OT to 125DSE or 125ESE

Install 47k NFB resistor between OT secondary and top of R9

(try running the NFB resistor off any of the impedance tappings)

Measure B+ voltage and increase R10, if too high

If possible insert 1k 1watt screen resistor into connection to EL84 pin 9

(this involves cutting the track with a scalpel or sharp craft knife)

If you want to go the whole hog, change C1 & C2 to Orange Drops

Now you got a Fenderized Valve Jr!

Both of these give you either the 'answer' you where looking for, or the starting point to change or add a bit more of your own ideas.

Also read this;

s2 wrote:

I offer the instruction manual from my former VJ kit:

http://www.s2amps.com/docs/vj_kit_inst.pdf

As it has an explanation of what each part is doing to the overall sound.

Pry out the four plastic covers on the top of the case to reveal the screws that hold in the chassis.

The circuit board has the part numbers printed on it and after you remove the spring from the EL84 and the screws from the circuit board you can unplug the input jack from the circuit board and unplug the volume control from the volume control side and just lift up on the circuit board and tilt it over so that the input jack connector is up in the air. I have never unplugged any of the power or power transformer connectors.

If you feel that you have the skill to unsolder components and solder in replacements and put everything back together as you found it, you can probably give yourself permission to proceed. The mini-cat high frequency tamer and the conjunctive filter and the extra tone controls and switches are another thing as they involve, not replacing parts that have a place on the circuit-board, but 'hanging' parts off of the board. You need to know how to hang parts or sub assemblies or whatever you want to call them, safely.

And if you mention the type of sound you are trying to achive there are others here who can help you move towards that sound. I prefer a clean warm sound so mine is based on the 'fenderish' design. I have 5 very different guitars and making the 'best' modifications has been very challenging and is still on-going.

BTW S2 runs S2 amps and Zaphod Phil designed the AX84 P1 Extreme.

• Members

I bought one with my GC gift cards the day after Christmas, and as soon as I got it home I took it apart to start modding! Haven't even tried it yet, but count me in. Can I be the Command Sergeant Major? :thu:

A question to, for you modders. Do you recommend ditching the PCB and hooking everything up on breadboard instead? seems like it would be a lot more efficient to work on that way.

• Members
Originally posted by Wolfeman28

IA question to, for you modders. Do you recommend ditching the PCB and hooking everything up on breadboard instead? seems like it would be a lot more efficient to work on that way.

I have read a lot of the mods over at 18watt.com, and I haven't come across anyone going to that extreme. If you are going to start modding, you should read their thread, it's over 150 pages long at the moment. I think a lot of the basics are covered in this thread, for a quick overview.

Most everyone seems to agree that swapping $10-$15 worth of parts, and maybe a $35 Hammond transformer gives you all you need for such a cheap amp. I know I am more than pleased with those mods in mine. :love: :love:

Of course, if you want to try to cram a completely different amp into that chassis, then that is where I would start.

• Members

Originally posted by Wolfeman28

A question to, for you modders. Do you recommend ditching the PCB and hooking everything up on breadboard instead? seems like it would be a lot more efficient to work on that way.

Ken Watts at Turretboards.com is starting to make 'drop in' replacement boards in a variety of flavours. These really do look VERY nice, and have the valve sockets board-mounted just like the VJ, but wired like any other turret-based amp. Some have found the original board fragile, and these will be a top quality replacement.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

Ken Watts at Turretboards.com is starting to make 'drop in' replacement boards in a variety of flavours. These really do look VERY nice, and have the valve sockets board-mounted just like the VJ, but wired like any other turret-based amp. Some have found the original board fragile, and these will be a top quality replacement.

Thanks for that info. Seems liek it would be alot easier to work with on a turretboard. Sweetness.

• Members
Originally posted by Forbidden

I also got the combo the other day and some new tubes and a speaker coming

It's a arrived !!!

A Jensen P8R - Totally changes the sound and majes it alot more like a fender. Sounds alot rounder clean but the break up doesn't sound as good as the stock. Sounds good with an od pedal though.

Put some JJ's in. Tried a 12AU7 in the pre amp and jesus :eek: it makes the amp real quiet and you can hardly get no break up but it makes it alot better for keeping the volumes down and makes the tone nice round and warm, need to try the other 12AT7 I have.

• Members
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

I was looking for those, thanks !!!

:D

Archived