The definitive EL34 alternative thread, KT-77 and 6CA7

Alanfc

• Members

Please tell us all which of these alternatives you've tried in your EL34 amp,

6CA7, KT-77

and what you have now, and Why. Or did you go back to the

EL 34, and , which one.

What type of music, and what tunings you use most .

Compared to your former tubes, how are the mids, lows, highs, tight, loose.. all that stuff.

thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got EL34's in my Marshall right now. They're still stock EL34's (there's a little jj logo on the foot of the tube). I got a quartet of JJ KT77's from Doug's Tubes just a few days ago. Gonna put them in this week, so I'll be posting my findings after that.. If I can still find this thread.. :)

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

Please tell us all which of these alternatives you've tried in your EL34 amp,

6CA7, KT-77

and what you have now, and Why. Or did you go back to the

EL 34, and , which one.

What type of music, what tunings, what tones.

Compared to your former tubes, how are the mids, lows, highs, tight, loose.. all that stuff.

thanks

VHT 2502 Tube Poweramp. Came with SED Winged =C= EL34s. Was Retubed with JJ KT-77s.. Still has KT-77s. Would like to try some 6CA7s sometime to compare to KT-77s.

Preamp used is ADA MP-1 3TM modded.

- Type of music?

Heavy Metal, Thrash.

- what tunings

Standard, Drop D and soon to play in full step down (all strings)

- what tones

Sorry.. not sure what you mean here.

- Compared to your former tubes, how are the mids, lows, highs, tight, loose.. all that stuff.

After the retube from EL34s to Kt-77s, I noticed a huge improvment on alot of things tone wise. The lows became much tighter, more punchy and thicker. The Mids became less honky, a bit more aggressive sounding. The Highs were tamed and not as harsh, specially when cranked. The louder I crank the rig, the thicker and tighter the tone gets.

Hope that helps :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

I think you'd have to ask "Which brand?" first. There are a lot of differences between brands of EL34s, old and new. I'd try suggestions from Dougstubes or KCANOStubes.

yes,

I'm hoping to hear something on different EL 34's too. I've got SED winged C's now, but I hear great things about the Ruby EL34's the BSTR's or whatever they're called.

I just want to read some random stream of consciouseness ramblings from all you guys.

• Members

I recently had KT-77s put in place of EL-34s in my Splawn Competition head. I won't be going back to EL-34s. Like another forumite mentioned above, the KT-77 IMO was better than everything on the EL-34. Much better grind, lows more manageable, HUGE improvement in the mids department, and the treble more tweakable. I can have the treble at 11:00 or 1:00 and it sounds great, just different. Also, want to add that the KT-77s definitely added a bit more gain. I don't have to turn the gain knob up as high to get the same crunch I was getting at higher settings before.

- Type of music?

Metal, hard rock, classic rock, etc.

- what tunings

Standard and Drop D

I want to add that I was on the verge of selling my Splawn prior to this retube. As soon as I threw the KT-77 tubes in, I couldn't part with the amp. It improved the sound that much. EL-34s are great sounding tubes and even sound great in my Splawn, however, I normally cut mids a bit. I don't like my mids overbearing. Some people like that. I want to be able to cover classic rock all the way up to metal. For metal, I feel the KT-77s tubes are a huge improvement.

• Members

My Marshall is due for a tube change. I'm looking at the 6ca7's and kt-77's myself. I may even go back to the JJE34Ls.

I think I'm leaning toward the 6ca7's right now. From the clips I've heard, they add some tighter lows and sweeter highs. The mids are still there, with a little more low-mid growl vs an EL34.

I wanna try the kt-77's, but don't want to lose any of the cutting mids. I love the high mids of an EL34, but want more tight low end. More punch at high volume, and less mush. The only other output tubes that I've tried in my Marshalls are the JJ 6l6's (JMP 2204), and the JJ E34L's (900 mkIII 2500).

I think a minor mod was required for each amp. Switched a wire on the ohm selector for the 6l6's, but can't remember what was up with the e34l's. They draw more current or something.

The E34L's had a touch more low end (like a 6l6...kinda), and good mids. The highs sounded and felt the same as an EL34.

• Members

Originally posted by 64DUECE

I think I'm leaning toward the 6ca7's right now. From the clips I've heard, they add some tighter lows and sweeter highs. The mids are still there, with a little more low-mid growl vs an EL34............................

For my Rivera, I' m trying to dial these low mids out a bit. I have an EQ in the loop whose primary purpose is just that.

• Members

Here's my 2c.

The JJ KT77 are nice. Compared to Svetlana and EH EL34 they have somewhat deeper lows, somewhat less complex mids (less "rich" in the mids) and somewhat rounder highs.

Whether you feel you need any of those qualities or not is another story; it depends on your amp and your ability to get the sounds you want from it. For instance with my amps, I can use just about any EL34 tubes and people like them. With JJ KT77 however, the ability to "bring back" the more rich mids is less feasible (than it is to use EL34 and get a more clear midrange sound, or get deeper lows). So I've found JJ KT77 isn't a wise choice to use as a stock tube.

Doesn't matter what music it's used with or "types of tones" either. Some people just prefer the way certain tubes sound for their own tastes.

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

Here's my 2c.

The JJ KT77 are nice. Compared to Svetlana and EH EL34 they have somewhat deeper lows, somewhat less complex mids (less "rich" in the mids) and somewhat rounder highs.

Whether you feel you need any of those qualities or not is another story; it depends on your amp and your ability to get the sounds you want from it. For instance with my amps, I can use just about any EL34 tubes and people like them. With JJ KT77 however, the ability to "bring back" the more rich mids is less feasible (than it is to use EL34 and get a more clear midrange sound, or get deeper lows). So I've found JJ KT77 isn't a wise choice to use as a stock tube.

Doesn't matter what music it's used with or "types of tones" either. Some people just prefer the way certain tubes sound for their own tastes.

:)

• Members

Oh, and about the Ruby EL34BSTR...

They're nice too. They have a bit deeper lows, but not as tight as the JJ KT77. In some amps that translates to a slightly more vintage feel, and some people really dislike that (they say it's "too loose" or the lows are "too flubby" etc.) Overall the EL34BSTR reminds me of a Svetlana EL34 with deeper (and somewhat looser) lows.

• Members

They're nice too. They have a bit deeper lows, but not as tight as the JJ KT77. In some amps that translates to a slightly more vintage feel, and some people really dislike that (they say it's "too loose" or the lows are "too flubby" etc.) Overall the EL34BSTR reminds me of a Svetlana EL34 with deeper (and somewhat looser) lows.

I've actually been wondering about the Ruby EL34BSTR for a while, too.

I don't know why, but when I see the 'BSTR', I feel like filling in the blanks. Ruby EL34BASTARD. :D

My take on the JJ KT77 is that it takes the more 'open' feel of the SED EL34 and makes it a bit deeper, tighter, and more modern sounding. I definitely like the vibe of those tubes. It took about 4 months of me convincing, but Reaper finally put them in his Splawn. I think the results speak for themselves. :D I think my Dual Recto needs some now.

• Members

"Modern" is relative though. I'm sure some people would hear that and assume it's going to make their amp sound more aggressive in certain ways, and then they'd be disappointed when they tried them. The focused deeper lows fall into that "modern" category, as well as the less rich mids, but the rounded highs might not. Don't forget that crisp articulate snap is largely responsible for helping amps sound more aggressive; JJ KT77 remove some of that...unless a person is changing from JJ EL34 or JJ E34L of course.

• Members

good/thanks ! I was hoping someone would mention these Ruby's.

The most I've read on these is that they are KILLER and RAD and thats the most detailed description I've found.

Flub and looseness, dont' want.

I KNOW that speakers are part of this equation but I don't want to go there now. I've got a 4x12 now, my first ever. Its an ENGL with V60's. I need alot of loud alone time to work on this.

Thanks

Archived