The definitive EL34 alternative thread, KT-77 and 6CA7

Alanfc

• Members

Originally posted by JamesPeters

"Modern" is relative though. I'm sure some people would hear that and assume it's going to make their amp sound more aggressive in certain ways, and then they'd be disappointed when they tried them. The focused deeper lows fall into that "modern" category, as well as the less rich mids, but the rounded highs might not. Don't forget that crisp articulate snap is largely responsible for helping amps sound more aggressive; JJ KT77 remove some of that...unless a person is changing from JJ EL34 or JJ E34L of course.

Very true. :) I guess my perception of "modern" is the more focused low end, additional tightness and less 'complex' harmonic in the midrange.

I personally think they are pretty RAD, and that's all anyone needs for a well thought-out, descriptive agument about them. :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

I recently had KT-77s put in place of EL-34s in my Splawn Competition head. I won't be going back to EL-34s. Like another forumite mentioned above, the KT-77 IMO was better than everything on the EL-34. Much better grind, lows more manageable, HUGE improvement in the mids department, and the treble more tweakable. I can have the treble at 11:00 or 1:00 and it sounds great, just different. Also, want to add that the KT-77s definitely added a bit more gain. I don't have to turn the gain knob up as high to get the same crunch I was getting at higher settings before.

- Type of music?

Metal, hard rock, classic rock, etc.

- what tunings

Standard and Drop D

I want to add that I was on the verge of selling my Splawn prior to this retube. As soon as I threw the KT-77 tubes in, I couldn't part with the amp. It improved the sound that much. EL-34s are great sounding tubes and even sound great in my Splawn, however, I normally cut mids a bit. I don't like my mids overbearing. Some people like that. I want to be able to cover classic rock all the way up to metal. For metal, I feel the KT-77s tubes are a huge improvement.

I recently (about 2 hours ago) retubed my engl SE with kt-77s and couldn't be happier. It sounds like the amp has more gain and is thicker/chunkier as well. The mids are still there, but they don't honk like EL-34s and don't have those shrill highs. I'm staying with KT77s. :love:

• Members

Oh, and about the Ruby EL34BSTR...They're nice too. They have a bit deeper lows, but not as tight as the JJ KT77.

This is an excellent way to describe it

In some amps that translates to a slightly more vintage feel, and some people really dislike that (they say it's "too loose" or the lows are "too flubby" etc.) Overall the EL34BSTR reminds me of a Svetlana EL34 with deeper (and somewhat looser) lows.

I agree but also find that the top end is much more open and present on the EL34BSTR than on a regular EL34. Also where the EL34BSTR's test out (much like any tube) makes a big difference.

For those who have a very high gain amp you may find that KT77's will work well for you.

Hope it helps

Trace

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I use KT77's in my Bogner XTC. I play mainly 7 strings tuned standard b-e.

I like the stock winged SED EL34's better with my 6 strings, but the KT77's handle the bass better on this really loose amp and keep it from flubbing out.

I tried KT77's in my triamp and didn't like them.

-W

• Members

Well, I ended up trying some EH 6CA7's in my SL-X. Tung Sol 12ax7's in the Preamp. So far...so good.

More/Tighter low end. My amp seems a bit louder and it's got a little more headroom at high volume...but the crunch is still there. Just a bit more roar. They maintain the mids, no problem dialing them in. The mids just don't seem so in your face. The high/mids and the highs are both right in between an EL34 and a 6L6. They react a lot like an E34L in that respect. Not as smooth of a top end as a 6L6, but not quite as bright of a top as an EL34.

I like the EH 6CA7's, but now that I've got my ears trained for 6CA7's after about 6 months of running them, I think I'm gonna try a quad of KT77's.

• Members

To me, the KT77's sound thicker and slightly scooped compared to the EL-34's (stock in the 2/50/2). I can't really tell the difference on the treble side...

The EL34's definitely have more bite in the mids, but alot of the low end seemed to flub out. I hated that.

I'm happy with the KT77's...I almost gave up on them, but being a dumbass I didn't re-EQ my preamp for these tubes once I swapped them out. I think my cab has a lot to do with how the low end and mids balance out in my tone.

I'm once a happy man again.

There are harmonics that just jump off the fretboard and with the right EQ, can have some killer mid bite with more than enough low end to chug along too. great tubes!!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Any opinions on the TAD EL 34STR ?

This is a very handy thread. I'm having a 22w hi-gain made for me. The builder and I are trying to come to a decision on which power tubes to use. He likes 6L6 in the amp, but I'm no so hot on the 6L6 and prefer the tones of other EL34 amps. So thanks guys.

BTW, Iommi uses TAD EL 34STR in his Laney, and that's why I ask about them.

• Members

All I have played/tried:

Mullard(new sensor) EL34s

Svetlana(new sensor) EL34s

Svetlana Winged C EL34s

JJ EL34s

JJ E34Ls

JJ KT77s

EH 6ca7s

Each were different. In my amp, I love the KT77s. Just warm and clear. 3 dimensional. I play mullards in my other amp. Creamier but a lot of mids.

Tommorow, I am trying some Siemens EL34s and I might be able to convince my tech to try out some RCA NOS 6ca7s that he has. Will report back tommorow.

• Members

I've tried the 6CA7 and KT-77 in my Bogner Ubershall and Marshall JMP. The Bogner sounds best with the Tesla El34's. The Marshall sounds best with the GE 6AC7's. The KT-77's are ok but not as good as those GT-GE6CA7's. But if I had to choose between a EL34/E34L and the KT-77 in the Marshall I'd probably go with the KT-77s. Remember the GT GE6CA7s are very expensive too.

• Members

I haven't read this whole thread but I tried a quad of GT KT-77's in a modded Marshall and didn't care for them as much as EL-34's in that amp. They're like a G12H30 (KT-77) as opposed to a V30 (El34's).

If anyone wants to do a swap this quad is brand new - less then an hour of time on them. I'd love to trade them for some Winged =C='s or SED's.

Archived