Carvin Guitars?

Lucius

• Members

I have a Carvin Flame top Telecaster style TL-60...
It's a great guitar!
Neck-thru,
Ebony fingerboard,
Sperzels,
Graphite saddles and nut,
two splittable Humbuckers,
Hard tail bridge

It stays in tune, and sounds awesome clean and distorted.
The intonation is excellent all over the fretboard.
I love it... it's very easy to play and it's quality is comparable to guitars costing MUCH more.

Carvins have poor re-sale value for whatever reason...
I bought mine for used at a pawn shop for $450 w/hardshell case.
I suggest you look for a used Carvin and get a great guitar for a low price! :thu:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the newer models have better pick-ups ( for Hard Rock/ Metal ) than the older ones did.

• Members

I had a black dc 127 with the hardtail option, active pickups, sperzel locking tuners, neck thru and I kick myself often for getting rid of it for a ibanez jem. It played the greatest right out of the box than any other guitar i've had. Oh and I had graphite nut and bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by toneking

I had a black dc 127 with the hardtail option, active pickups, sperzel locking tuners, neck thru and I kick myself often for getting rid of it for a ibanez jem. It played the greatest right out of the box than any other guitar i've had. Oh and I had graphite nut and bridge.

dude i love your avatar! do you know the name of the artist that created it?

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Both of mine actually were pieces of crap. Lots of people swear by them, but mine were too unreliable to be gigworthy. For the money, there are lots and lots and lots of better choices out there.

Like what? If I wanted to be able to custom order options?

• Members

Originally posted by FourT6and2

Like what? If I wanted to be able to custom order options?

I don't know about the custom options. I don't rate them very high compared to the guitar actually producing sound on stage. For the same money as a new Carvin, I'd take a used Gibson or PRS, or a new Fender or G&L any day.

Pretty much anything you buy can be customized if it's important to you.

• Members

Both of mine actually were pieces of crap. Lots of people swear by them, but mine were too unreliable to be gigworthy. For the money, there are lots and lots and lots of better choices out there.

Unreliable in what sense? Elaborate please:)

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

Unreliable in what sense? Elaborate please:)

I've elaborated many times here. Usually 20 people come along and pounce on me, but in a nutshell...

Guitar 1 was a DC145 purchased in 1992. This was about 6 months before they put the graphite rods in the neck and the neck was much smaller than it is now. The neck was ridiculously unstable. It quite literally needed a truss rod adjustment every time I played it. One day the strings would be adjusted properly, the next they'd be flat on the neck, the next 1/4 " off the neck. It was ridiculous. Carvin told me it would settle down in a few weeks. They lied. Also the pickup selector only lasted a few weeks.

Guitar 2 was a DC127 purchased last year with the Fishman piezo bridge. Within a few months it developed a short in one of the output jacks. Had to replace the jack. About the same time the volume pot got really scratchy. Not a big deal, but doesn't usually happen in a guitar that's only a few months old. Then the active electronics started making random sputtering and hissing noises. Within a month or two after that, the guitar quit working altogether. I had it in the shop 4 times in 6 months. I sent it back to Carvin and they say they replaced all the electronics. I never even plugged it in when I got it back. Went straight to ebay.

• Members

I don't know about the custom options. I don't rate them very high compared to the guitar actually producing sound on stage. For the same money as a new Carvin, I'd take a used Gibson or PRS, or a new Fender or G&L any day.

Pretty much anything you buy can be customized if it's important to you.

Well, considering it costs like $8,000 to get any type of custom options on a PRS and close to that to have a custom shop Gibson made...I'd assume the better buy would be Carvin or the like.

You can't even get ebony fretboards on PRS guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by FourT6and2

Well, considering it costs like $8,000 to get any type of custom options on a PRS and close to that to have a custom shop Gibson made...I'd assume the better buy would be Carvin or the like.

You can't even get ebony fretboards on PRS guitars.

No, but you could buy a used PRS for $1,000 and change it up pretty much any way you wanted. Carvin isn't really THAT custom. You have several choices in body shape and pickup configuration. From there you can choose your top wood and color and some hardware options. Most manufacturers have enough different models that you can pretty much get what you want anyway.

• Members

Picked up a carvin SC90 at GC about a year back for $400. I adored the thing. The pickups are just GREAT for modelers, but i felt they lack in a band situation. It was alder, im more a mahogany guy. Funny story, somehow my guitar was thrown downstairs, hitting every damn step on the way down, landing on a thin ass rug, on concrete... No it wasnt in tune, and to boot, the headstock was totally {censored}ed up. But whatever happened that fateful night, It mysteriously played better. The bitch resonated like no guitar i ever heard...:confused: :confused: :confused: It was like I was suddenly Gary moore. That guitar is now gone. :cry:

Archived