The Total Amp Guts Appreciation Thread ! 1!!

The Evil Dr. X

• Members

Yeah no {censored}. I fixed once of those pieces of {censored} one time, it was a total nightmare. Those things look like someone fed electronic parts and wire pieces to a goat and let it {censored} inside an amp chassis.

YUCK. Never again will I touch one of those.

What did you have to fix?

I sold mine because it stopped working, and there was NO WAY I was going to troubleshoot that amp.

It sounded OK when it worked though.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What did you have to fix?

I sold mine because it stopped working, and there was NO WAY I was going to troubleshoot that amp.

It sounded OK when it worked though.

The power supply blew up. Lost all the big filter caps, and a hole bunch of other random {censored}. It was chernobyl'd. It didn't help that either the amp was wired wrong or the copy of the schematic I had was wrong, or unrevised :freak: :freak: :freak:

Oh and one of the switching ldrs went.

• Members

wow, that does sound like it was a nightmare

Anyone got some gut shots of a Peavey VTM amp?

I'd open my VTM 60 up and take pics, but it's at a friends house now.

I've got some more pics to upload (I'm having a bit of trouble with this disposable digital camera I bought).

1992 Marshall 6101 combo
2002 Ashdown Peacemaker 60 head
1964 Fender AA 864 Bassman head

The best one is the Bassman, what else is there to say other than pre-CBS hand wired goodness? :love:

• Members
Damn, i wanted to see the gutshots of the new Peters amps
:cry:

Meet my QC inspector.

qc_inspector.jpg

The pics I've taken of the guts (showing everything from an overhead shot) have all turned out bad so far, but this pic is ok. I like my new digital camera but it seems taking shots of things closeup is more difficult because of the extra pressure required to depress the shutter button; I think I'm making all the pictures blurry as a result of the camera's slight shaking while I push the button. Once I set it up on a tripod it'll be much better.

• Members
Meet my QC inspector.

qc_inspector.jpg

The pics I've taken of the guts (showing everything from an overhead shot) have all turned out bad so far, but this pic is ok. I like my new digital camera but it seems taking shots of things closeup is more difficult because of the extra pressure required to depress the shutter button; I think I'm making all the pictures blurry as a result of the camera's slight shaking while I push the button. Once I set it up on a tripod it'll be much better.

Most consumer and prosumer cameras have several shutter delay functions. Check if you can select the faster one (usually 2 second delay), focus on the target normally and depress shutter release. The 2 second delay eliminates camera shake from pressing the shutter release.

Though it's pretty much only good for shooting inanimate objects where timing isn't critical.

The cat + amp = beeeeautiful! :love:

• Members

maybe that turning on the macro function might help, if your camera has it of course.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

few more of my amps :)

dscf0116kt1.jpg

Traynor Bassmaster MK II (the one I posted before was a MK I btw..) It has a built in fan, but it's pretty noisy...got to replace it.

v2fz7.png

modded Ampeg V-2 (it's a bit of the mess on the inside, but it sounds great)..I'll get a better pic of this amp tomorrow. I'm going to retube it soon, but I can't find the proper pre-amp tubes :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Diezel Einstein. The ugly thick black cable from top left to bottom right is something I added (mod to remote switch the 3 modes on Ch1).

eini_guts_withmod.jpg

Other than my mod, it's pretty great and neat. Awesome build quality really. Also note the Lehle LTIDs which are very expensive parts on their own among others. This Diezel looks really very German inside I'd say :thu:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived