February New Gear Thread

spaceship

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously though. I'm sure Korg would have sold more M3s if they made a black version. I think it's psychological for me: I'm more likely to get inspired and make some music while sitting in front of a black keyboard than a red, orange, or white one.

Plus stains are worse on white/beige than they are on black, lol.

Never laid my hands on an M3. I should go to Guitar Center...

• Members

Sowwy, I could not resist. :( I am EXTREMELY bored with work and only sheningans help. :(

Anyway, to stay on topic: Bought some softsynths. Have too many now. But it's a LOT of fun, and I'm writing a LOT of music at the moment (and doing lots of sound design too) so it's all good. :)

(And none of them are pink.)

• Members

Seriously though. I'm sure Korg would have sold more M3s if they made a black version. I think it's psychological for me: I'm more likely to get inspired and make some music while sitting in front of a black keyboard than a red, orange, or white one.

Plus stains are worse on white/beige than they are on black, lol.

Never laid my hands on an M3. I should go to Guitar Center...

I still like my M3. However, the Kronos is probably a better buy now, unless you can find the M3 for sale at a great discount.

• Members

The UPS guy showed up today (I've been waiting patiently for a week and I have to say I can't remember the last time I was left this 'breathless' over a synth.

This thing is the cat's ass, the bass and low-end sounds are unbelievably good.

Thanks to the gang at Noisebug for another excellent experience and a great deal, you guys are the best!

This synth will leave my collection when they pry it out of my cold dead hands, it's that good.

By the way, I sold my Moog Little Phatty and put the money towards this and the difference is night and day, there's no comparison, well worth the extra cash.

004-2.jpg

• Members

Comparison might be unfair, but it's always fun.
:D
Name your 5 top differences, if you would be so kind, plzkthx.

Hm let's see...

1) There's a lot more modulation routing options on the Voyager

2) The bass sounds on this beast are unbelievable, just think 'ball shattering'.

I've only been playing around with it for a few hours so far, running them through my Mackie's but I can't wait to get this over to where we rehearse and plug it into my Carvin PA and crank it up.

The sound is, I can't really articulate it, but it's just warm, fat and awesome.

3) I'm not going to say the Little Phatty sucks because it doesn't, for what it is, it's a cool little synth but the Voyager is like the full size real deal. The LP feels cheap, crappily made, plasticy etc, the Voyager is a stunning piece of cherry wood surrounded by big knobs, the backlighting on this edition is so nice and easy to read, this just feels 100x better built than the LP.

4) The third oscillator is a big deal

5) extra keys

Now keep in mind, I'm not a Moog purist, some guys swear that the LP & Voyager are two different machines altogether, but from my very limited experience with the Voyager, it seems to me that this is everything the LP is x 100.

I've been playing this dry as my MX200 is in my rack over at the rehearsal place and it sounds great, I can't wait to hear it with a touch of reverb and delay on it, I get a semi just thinking about it :)

• Members

004-2.jpg

Welcome to the Voyager club! I love the XY touchplate on mine. The backlight color does look nice with that wood.

The Phatty synths sound ok to me - I'm mulling picking up a Slim to make my Moog setup duophonic, plus it has the Tuning Scale features. OTOH, I also like the idea of putting together a little modular analog system around the Voyager.

• Members

Welcome to the Voyager club! I love the XY touchplate on mine. The backlight color does look nice with that wood.

The Phatty synths sound ok to me - I'm mulling picking up a Slim to make my Moog setup duophonic, plus it has the Tuning Scale features. OTOH, I also like the idea of putting together a little modular analog system around the Voyager.

Suppose a guy had lots of money and decided to buy 2 Voyager racks in addition to the Voyager, could you poly chain them together like you can with Dave Smith insturments and make a 3 voice Moog Voyager? I saw the YT video Michael posted about the Japanese guy who chained a bunch of LP's together, but I'm just curious if you added 2 Voyager racks if every patch would play in 3 voice poly with each sound being the exact same for each voice?

• Members

Suppose a guy had lots of money and decided to buy 2 Voyager racks in addition to the Voyager, could you poly chain them together like you can with Dave Smith insturments and make a 3 voice Moog Voyager? I saw the YT video Michael posted about the Japanese guy who chained a bunch of LP's together, but I'm just curious if you added 2 Voyager racks if every patch would play in 3 voice poly with each sound being the exact same for each voice?

Yes, you can chain up to 15 Moog Music synths - for 16 voice polyphony. Some could be Voyagers, and some could be Phatty. All Voyager and Phatty models support the chaining functionality. The Slim Phatty makes the most sense to me as a chaining slave because of the cost and space.

Realistically though, I'd probably just end up using the Voyager as an extra MIDI keyboard controller for my Korg M3 as the MIDI output is polyphonic. I do understand the behavior is different than chaining multiple Moog synths to to Voyager - each note of a chord coming out of its own dedicated synth can be powerful stuff.

• Members

And the ubiquitous new signal flow diagram:

theaudacityworks2011.jpg

Nice clean setup and I bet very usable.

Ever try running the La2A into the 1176 portion of the 6176 for Vox?

May want to look for a nice DI and shove the JP through some of your outboard equipment.

• Members
Ever try running the La2A into the 1176 portion of the 6176 for Vox?

Double compression? I've done it before, in other studios, but mainly rely on the UA plugins, which sound nearly identical.

May want to look for a nice DI and shove the JP through some of your outboard equipment.

Thinking of snagging the preamp board for the Symphony I/O, which lets you digitally route external devices. The JP-8080 is really just for one stupid sound I can't seem to part with.

Archived