Do you think playing with High Gain/Distortion limits your playing skills?

The Boogie Man

• Members

You should be able to play the same things with a clean and a high gain sound. Of course they won't sound the same but the motions are exactly the same. Yet there are many players who become complete hacks when faced with a clean tone. I was one of those players. Then I played lower gain, non-compressed amps for a few years and I no longer have that problem.

Lots of players feel they can't get enough sustain if they're not using a high gain setting and in my experience that is another sign of poor technique. Been there myself and it is just another obstacle I had to overcome.

• Members

All I know....

Is that When I made the switch to play my acuostic guitar everyday, last year....since then, My feel has become much more developed.

Without all the gain and effects, you gotta generate all that cool stuff yourself.

Switching over to an electric now a days is niice!

• Members

Originally posted by ROTINPAIN

All I know....

Is that When I made the switch to play my acuostic guitar everyday, last year....since then, My feel has become much more developed.

Without all the gain and effects, you gotta generate all that cool stuff yourself.

Switching over to an electric now a days is niice!

it's good if you can work on both like that...each type of playing will bring things out in you technique-wise that you wouldn't have gotten from the other

• Members

Playing with a good amount of gain will teach you to mute correctly. Right hand muting is a huge part of dynamics that is taken for granted. I am teaching my son to play right now and getting him to understand the muting concept is the hardest part.
Having said that, everyone should be able to turn the gain off and play something musical.

• Members

With more than 5000 chords and variations of them only about 100 even sound musical with very much distortion, sure you can use barr chords and power chords all over the place with tons of distortion but try playing jazz chords or a finger picking passage in something like clasical or country and it won't come out very well. Distortion has it's place in music and some people use it well, most are just wankers who don't really know anything else. That's why they worry about things like how much tube gain they can get out of a JJ vs an EH or a Groove Tube and how much overdrive they can get, and think everything else sounds whimpy and like crap. That's because these guys are limited in their playing skills and knowledge.

Archived