March New Gear Thread.

mildbill

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tell me how that PPG emulator is, i've had my eye on replacing my Microwave XT with it since i'm trying to downsize my studio.

So far it is excellent. The sound is Waldorf wonderful and it's really easy to setup a user bank. Just drag and drop. What's even better is that you can switch the characteristics between those of a PPG 2.2 and 2.3. Pretty much the use of 8 bit or 12 bit. Or you could use the full blown modern waveforms that I believe are 16 bit but I'll have to refer to the manual for sure.

• Members

SO far it is excellent. The sound is Waldorf wonderful and it's really easy to setup a user bank. Just drag and drop. What's even better is that you can switch the characteristics between those of a PPG 2.2 and 2.3. Pretty much the use of 8 bit or 12 bit. Or you could use the full blown modern waveform that I believe are 16 bit but I'll have to refer to the manual for sure.

that sounds very cool- i've gotta download the evaluation version tonight.

• Members

The year was 1984. At a friend's party, I hear Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" for the first time. It blew me away. I was fifteen and had started to get into synthesizers that same year. In a music magazine, I read that the producer used a keyboard called "Fairlight" that cost like four luxury cars of the time. I've wanted one since.

The year was 1985. On an italian tv program called "DJ Television" I hear Propaganda's "Duel" for the first time. I fell in love with the song and its sounds. Again from music magazines I find out that the band used a keyboard called "PPG" (that only cost like two luxury cars). I've wanted one since.

27 and 26 years later, the stars aligned for me this month and the eyes were a bit misty when loading up my first sound on the IIx (I picked - goes without saying - "ARR1") and when spotting the classic wavetable bass and synth sounds on the 2.3 (which I'm actually using in 2.2 mode for that nostalgia factor)

5524578716_16c8e9eef3_b.jpg

5523986139_340fe1bca2_b.jpg

27 and 26 years later, the stars aligned for me this month and the eyes were a bit misty when loading up my first sound on the IIx (I picked - goes without saying - "ARR1") and when spotting the classic wavetable bass and synth sounds on the 2.3 (which I'm actually using in 2.2 mode for that nostalgia factor)

Poor Paolo.

I can see you are so broken you can not afford new synths and have to buy old pieces of crap nobody is using anymore (and then, that's why people sell them) :(

... You, Mo*r Fu*r !!!! :phil: :phil:

• Members

The year was 1984. At a friend's party, I hear Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "Relax" for the first time. It blew me away. I was fifteen and had started to get into synthesizers that same year. In a music magazine, I read that the producer used a keyboard called "Fairlight" that cost like four luxury cars of the time. I've wanted one since.

The year was 1985. On an italian tv program called "DJ Television" I hear Propaganda's "Duel" for the first time. I fell in love with the song and its sounds. Again from music magazines I find out that the band used a keyboard called "PPG" (that only cost like two luxury cars). I've wanted one since.

5524578716_16c8e9eef3_b.jpg

5523986139_340fe1bca2_b.jpg

Way to go. Makes me wish I didn't have to be so practical. :-(

• Members

that sounds very cool- i've gotta download the evaluation version tonight.

Once you get your head around the edit matrix, things start to get really interesting. I'm so glad I bought the PPG 3.V and the Slim Phatty.

Very happy right now.

• Members

:lol:
Thanks!

So if you guys were in the market for something like this, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

My friends and family think I should build these and sell them online and at flea markets, street fairs etc.

It sounds better than any of the boomboxes at Best Buy and it's way more durable.

Given that I just played out on sat. in an casual sort of thing, I realized I needed a better amp than my wife's scratchy fender. What I would need is something stereo with a subwoofer. or at least maybe woofer and highs in the same boxes. Something like that would be road / wear worthy and would be better than bringing out a set of monitors and a sub. yea i'd pay 3-500$ depending on configuration.

I don't know why they haven't made something stereo for keyboard players yet.

• Members

... but for some much more ON-Topic news, I also got the following:

190697_10150104549916029_671306028_65642

From Left to Right:

* Axiom (2nd Gen) 61

* Oxygen 88

* Venom

:)

Why do you need so many midi controllers? Even the Venom is a USB midi controller.

:whisper:
He works for M-Audio

Yup, that pretty much sums it all :D

... but in a more practical side:

1) The Axiom 61 is a 100% dedicated to soft synths. Granted. Its pads are awesome for playing my Steven Slate Drums kit.

2) I have the Oxygen 88 MIDIed to a YAMAHA QY70 as a stand-alone, computer-less piano / synth. Good enough sounds for practicing. It is also USB MIDIed to the computers for soft synths and Pro Tools control.

3) The VENOM... well, I'm programming my patches so I can demonstrate it. I am not using it as a MIDI controller nor plan to do so, either. But I am having fun programming 4 multitimbral parts sequences with it in Pro Tools.

It is great when your own company's products do really solve a personal need.

Archived