Yamaha MOX 6 spotted at local GC

• Members

Not everyone wants to buy a used keyboard, especially if you plan to keep a while. What if you don't like the XS or MOX? It will be more difficult to sell a used XS than it will to sell or return a MOX.

OK so I'm assuming you actually want a motif and are not just taking it for a 30 day test run. As far as resale value goes, a used XS is always going to be worth much more than a used MoX.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Isn't the MoX simply a cut down Motif XS, which has been out for years? I understand that it's at a much lower price point, but the buzz around this forum makes me think that it's an all-new synth with all-new sounds. In fact, I don't remember this kind of excitement when the XS itself came out. Wouldn't you rather get a used XS for less money with double the polyphony, bigger screen, and more than twice the insert FX power?

Where are you finding used XS's for less than $1200? I'm not saying they're not around at that price, but I can't find one; certainly not in Canada.

If I could find a used XS for around a grand, I might bite (as my moX6 has yet to be shipped). :facepalm:

• Members

OK so I'm assuming you actually want a motif and are not just taking it for a 30 day test run. As far as resale value goes, a used XS is always going to be worth much more than a used MoX.

The XS will be worth more only because you are paying more.

Buy a MOX right now, sell it next week, and you won't lose much. In fact, I did exactly that with a GAIA shortly after its release -- bought it one week, sold it the next. It wasn't worth driving 25+ miles to the store for a return.

• Members

Isn't the MoX simply a cut down Motif XS, which has been out for years? I understand that it's at a much lower price point, but the buzz around this forum makes me think that it's an all-new synth with all-new sounds. In fact, I don't remember this kind of excitement when the XS itself came out. Wouldn't you rather get a used XS for less money with double the polyphony, bigger screen, and more than twice the insert FX power?

plus aftertouch, faders, assignable outs, additional foot pedal... the XS is much better. The big deal, to me, is that the 88 key XS is 63 pounds, which means it is (for me) completely out of the question for gigging. The MOX8 is half the weight.

Apart from that, price is an issue because not everyone is comfortable buying used.

• Members

Buy a MOX right now, sell it next week, and you won't lose much. In fact, I did exactly that with a GAIA shortly after its release -- bought it one week, sold it the next. It wasn't worth driving 25+ miles to the store for a return.

It's not always that easy. You might get lucky, but unless something is really hot and in short supply, assuming you pay MAP, I think you have to expect to lose probably 20% as soon as you "drive it off the parking lot." If you buy something used, there's a good chance you'll be able to get back about what you paid for it, even if you use it for a year or more.

• Members

It's not always that easy. You might get lucky, but unless something is really hot and in short supply, assuming you pay MAP, I think you have to expect to lose probably 20% as soon as you "drive it off the parking lot." If you buy something used, there's a good chance you'll be able to get back about what you paid for it, even if you use it for a year or more.

But it is that easy right now for the example I provided. A used MOX is in VERY short supply. I did not refer to a long timeframe. A year from now anything is possible.

The same condition was in effect when I bought and sold the GAIA. I had buyers contact me with a request to end the auction early so they could send payment immediately for a price very close to what I paid.

Either way, you have the choice of returning the item to the store for a full refund or selling it a few weeks later for only slightly less than you paid for it. This is for new items shortly after their release -- not a new item a year after it has been released.

• Members

Well, I have been back at home (after being away on business) and have been playing my M3 61 every night. I have to say that there are lots of nice features to this board. The keybed is very, very nice, and I especially like the ability to store a drum program/loop with every program. It is so fun just to be able to improvise while changing up drum patterns and whatnot. I also enjoy the easy of use of the touch screen, having EQ parameters right on the home screen, and having basically up to eight effects available for each patch.

Compared to other romplers, even the MOX, I think the M3 has many factory patches that are very detailed in nature. Lots of the stock sounds seem to be close mic'ed. Lots of Rhodes sounds that sound like you've got your ear right next to the tines. For me, I am more comfortable backing these off a bit using effects and EQ. I continue to tweak and tweak the M3 factory library and am getting to the point where I am very happy with many of the sounds.

So, bottom line, I think I may want to get the MOX while keeping the M3, at least for the time being.

I recently landed a higher paying new job that I start in a few weeks, so I ultimately may be able to get the MOX6 without selling anything. But first I've got to buy a new car, as I've had a company car with my current gig that I'll be giving up. Cars cost lots more than keyboards.

Perhaps having the M3 and MOX would be the best of both worlds - we'll see. Then again, if I had a buyer for the M3 with cash in hand, I might have trouble passing it up...

• Members
Well, I have been back at home (after being away on business) and have been playing my M3 61 every night. I have to say that there are lots of nice features to this board. The keybed is very, very nice, and I especially like the ability to store a drum program/loop with every program. It is so fun just to be able to improvise while changing up drum patterns and whatnot. I also enjoy the easy of use of the touch screen, having EQ parameters right on the home screen, and having basically up to eight effects available for each patch.

Compared to other romplers, even the MOX, I think the M3 has many factory patches that are very detailed in nature. Lots of the stock sounds seem to be close mic'ed. Lots of Rhodes sounds that sound like you've got your ear right next to the tines. For me, I am more comfortable backing these off a bit using effects and EQ. I continue to tweak and tweak the M3 factory library and am getting to the point where I am very happy with many of the sounds.

So, bottom line, I think I may want to get the MOX while keeping the M3, at least for the time being.

I recently landed a higher paying new job that I start in a few weeks, so I ultimately may be able to get the MOX6 without selling anything. But first I've got to buy a new car, as I've had a company car with my current gig that I'll be giving up. Cars cost lots more than keyboards.

Perhaps having the M3 and MOX would be the best of both worlds - we'll see. Then again, if I had a buyer for the M3 with cash in hand, I might have trouble passing it up...

Michael you have not been bitten by the Kronos bug yet. Even though the MOX looks and sounds great, it is not the Kronos. I know you are a software guy though so maybe wasted money in your mind.

• Members

I have one on order, but I don't want to regret buying it. Obviously there are a few features on the XS that the moX doesn't have, but are the sounds essentially the same? I ask because I've seen a few comments on other sites that suggest that the moX doesn't have XS sounds, but rather, glorified mm6 sounds; that being the case, I might consider cancelling my order.

• Members

Obviously there are a few features on the XS that the moX doesn't have, but are the sounds essentially the same? I ask because I've seen a few comments on other sites that suggest that the moX doesn't have XS sounds, but rather, glorified mm6 sounds; that being the case, I might consider cancelling my order.

MOX has exactly the same sounds as XS.

• Members

Well, as I pointed out in another thread, it's a buyer's market for the M3. There's a boatload of them on Ebay right now and you see them on Craigslist a lot as well. People are dumping them to upgrade to Kronos, would be the logical explanation. I've seen M3-61s go for less than a thousand dollars!

So, if you are enjoying it, keep it, at least until the current "dump phase" is over.... that would be my advice.

(I remember that happened to the Triton Extreme as well when the M3 came out, you could get an Extreme 61 for 700-800 dollars! Now it's back up to 1200 or so - about the same price as the used M3s!)

• Members

My MOX6 arrived today. Wow, sounds fantastic; much much better than my MM6. The keybed is pretty much the same as my MM6. I might spring for a 76 key controller at some point, but I'm ok with this keybed for the time being.

• Members

if the keybed is about the same as MM6, then the obvious choice is used XS. but what MOX excels (other than weight) is the built-in audio interface. u can combine the MOX with a lappy and share one pair of output. convenient.

I have yet to see a used M3-61 under 1K on ebay :(
the cheapest so far for used XS6 $1150 ebay with 2 missing knob cap and 2 missing slider cap

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder what compels people to buy the MOx6 instead of a PC361 (can be easily found B-stock for 1199 or even less)... Yamaha love?
:)

Although the Kurz is more capable, it is not as readily available everywhere as the MOX6 is (and is generally more expensive), plus it weighs twice as much, and it's more complicated to use. Other than that, each also has some sounds that I think are better than the other's.

• Members
I wonder what compels people to buy the MOx6 instead of a PC361 (can be easily found B-stock for 1199 or even less)... Yamaha love?
:)

I have never seen any Kurzweil in person, other than in someone's rig on stage. Never been able to play one or try one.

• Members

There's always the money back guarantee thing though ;)

I don't know why I'm making a case for the Kurzweil... I've played one a few times (at Sam Ash of all places) but I'm not in the market for one. But if the PC361 is selling new (well, B-stock) for exactly the same price as the MOX6 I'd really seriously consider it... there was one new B-stock that sold for 899 on Ebay recently :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just pulled the trigger on an MOX8 and it should arrive just in time for this weekend's 2 gigs. Can't wait!

tuck - how'd it work out, do you dig your new MOX8?

I'm curious to know you found the controls, particularly lack of sliders - did you figure out a good way to adjust combination sounds, ie, layering strings over piano, bringing strings up and down... or organ layered over Rhodes, etc... ?? Also, what case did you get for it?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived