A great vocal mic for live

Randy Van Sykes

• Members

A few weeks ago I picked up an AKG D3700...they are discontinued and are selling for cheap right now. I use a trusty Shure SM58, but thought I'd give it a try.

The AKG is better...it's a bit hotter than a 58, and it keeps my voice in the mix really well, and I like the overall tone of it alot on my voice.

These mics are going for cheap now...check them out...worth looking into if you're a singer.

akg_d3700_b.jpg

• Members

Meh...gimme a 58 or a Sennheiser e935 and I'm happy. Never been a fan of AKG or Audix vocal mics.

I've always preferred a 58 over every other mic I've tried to date...but this one suits my voice really well.

Even people in the audience that have seen the band play alot, say that I sound much better...asking me what did I do different to my vocals.

• Members

Not a big SM58 fan.(I like them on guitar cabs) I don't mind the AKG mentioned. Personally, for $120, nothing touched the EV N/D767, IMO. Great sounding mic!

I've used EV's before and I did like them, I remember the one I used was kinda powerful on the sibilance. The EV N/D767 sounds like a nice mic, I'd like to try that one.

• Members

Not a big SM58 fan.(I like them on guitar cabs) I don't mind the AKG mentioned. Personally, for $120, nothing touched the EV N/D767, IMO. Great sounding mic!

No.

The exaggerated bass response of the N/D's is murder on FOH.

They sound great to the vocalist because of all that fat low end... but it's a mess out front. I figgered you'd know this.

Audix Om6/Om7s are tremendous mics. Pattern control, gain before feedback, fidelity and frequency response are blazing for handheld dynamics. And they just sound great, in monitors, and out of the mains. How anyone could prefer a 58 to these is beyond my understanding...unless you just love them for some nostalgic reason....

• Members
No.

The exaggerated bass response of the N/D's is murder on FOH.

They sound great to the vocalist because of all that fat low end... but it's a mess out front. I figgered you'd know this.

Audix Om6/Om7s are tremendous mics. Pattern control, gain before feedback, fidelity and frequency response are blazing for handheld dynamics. And they just sound great, in monitors, and out of the mains. How anyone could prefer a 58 to these is beyond my understanding...unless you just love them for some nostalgic reason....

Regardless of the mic, proper strip EQing certainly makes sense. There is no exaggerated low end on the 767. Nice and full with an open top end. Great mic and highly regarded by the pros over at the LS forum as well. Are you using your low cuts? If you happen to like the Audix, that's ok with me.:wave:

• Members

I've never used one, but I thought those EV N/Ds were supposed to have more of a tame proximity effect than other similar mics, which I would consider to be the opposite of exaggerated low end? Always sounded like a good idea to me. :confused:

Someone once told me that the old ones were known for being able to make the monitors shake if you ate the mic, though, so I don't know if they changed something or what.

The vocals often sound like crap when I see bands because I can tell the singers pretty much eat the mic and the proximity effect is ridiculous. Of course, the two main venues around here don't seem to have heard of the bass EQ band, and they're pretty dark and muddy sounding to begin with, so YMMV.

• Members
I've never used one, but I thought those EV N/Ds were supposed to have more of a tame proximity effect than other similar mics, which I would consider to be the opposite of exaggerated low end? Always sounded like a good idea to me.
:confused:

Someone once told me that the old ones were known for being able to make the monitors shake if you ate the mic, though, so I don't know if they changed something or what.

The vocals often sound like crap when I see bands because I can tell the singers pretty much eat the mic and the proximity effect is ridiculous. Of course, the two main venues around here don't seem to have heard of the bass EQ band, and they're pretty dark and muddy sounding to begin with, so YMMV.

I agree. The way it seems is that the proximity effect is less pronounced but that it extends farther so that when you are in the area of the ball there isn't as much variance. That's how it seems, either from the board or as the actual user. I always try to eat the mic but I also set the channel strip based on that.

• Members

hmm. i dont hear this honk in either of my betas. They sound like a hotter 58 with a clearer top to me.

I did like the om7's -only mixed them a couple times. My strip eq was flat which was odd...

I'm not saying it's horrible, the high mids are just too much to my ears..I need to EQ that mic to get it to sit right with a band alot more than a regular 58. If you like it with your voice, that's what matters.

• Members

I've never used one, but I thought those EV N/Ds were supposed to have more of a tame proximity effect than other similar mics, which I would consider to be the opposite of exaggerated low end? Always sounded like a good idea to me.
:confused:

From being a front of house soundman for years, I've always (with any mic) hit the high pass (obviously) and backed off the bass frequencies on the strip a bit. 58's I add a bit of sibilance as well, they're a bit dark, but I prefer that over too bright.

This AKG D3700 seems voiced well for my voice. I believe different voices sound better with different mics...no 'one mic' is the best vocal mic.

• Members
If you like it, use it...Big Sugar tries to make the vocals sound like they are running through a Fender Champ.
:D

I see Grady all the time man. He's a nice guy. Great player too. He's using what looks like a Twin but heavily modded. He's all about the raunchy ass tones too. :D

• Members

I see Grady all the time man. He's a nice guy. Great player too. He's using what looks like a Twin but heavily modded. He's all about the raunchy ass tones too.

{censored} ya...he's a Canadian, that's why you like him! :D

He used to use a cranked up 100 watt Marshall stack...A friend of mine was doing sound for him in a small club in L.A. and the sound check was so loud that the owner of the club warned him to turn down or he couldn't play...I guess he thought {censored} that...They went on screaming loud and the owner shut the power off during the first song and kicked the band out! :D

• Members
{censored} ya...he's a Canadian, that's why you like him!

He used to use a cranked up 100 watt Marshall stack...A friend of mine was doing sound for him in a small club in L.A. and the sound check was so loud that the owner of the club warned him to turn down or he couldn't play...I guess he thought {censored} that...They went on screaming loud and the owner shut the power off during the first song and kicked the band out!

LOL I believe it. His combo is unbelievably loud too. Sometimes its so loud you cant even hear the vocals, and his amp is not even miced. :eek:

Archived