Global Warming again ....

strat2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Its getting hotter here, long dought, while its getting wetter and colder up north of the country, climates changing. Why? I'm not smart enough to know.

Anyone interested in the issue should read Michael Crictons State of Fear, really interesting read, probably just as uninformed as everybody else.

• Members

i thought there was a study done somewhere, where they sed that every so many thousand years, the earth moves closer to the sun....its not an exact perfect circle/oval, it can have very minute changes. Just because the earth travels in this pattern, it could very easly get screwd up...just take a tiny lil change in how close it gets and we heat up.....

• Members

I wish the media would have a honest debate with ALL facts

I do think global warming is something to keep an eye on and we as a people/society should do what we can as far as pollution, toxins, etc but i just wish ALL SIDES of the issue were debated

and not simply people using a Al Gore movie as the only facts!

:idea:

• Members
Yeah, you're right, it was spiking pretty high before then. Wasn't constant at all.

Once again, do some research then come back when you're ready. Ok n00b?

Lame answer. Again your graph tells it all, there is NO proof of climate change, how do you know the graph doesnt go up and down like that for the past million years????

Noob, ha, right........some cheesy graph that shows no temperature history of the earth. Besides, thats 1c degree difference since 1860........

Another brainwashed sheep.:freak:

• Members
Global Warming is a giant sham. However, of course pollution should be kept at a minimum.

I don't agree...the more pollution is kept to a minimum means even lower profit margins to giant corporations, hence less $$ will trickle down into my poor empty pockets :idea:

we poor people should be doing everything in our power to ensure the continued riches to the super-rich :o

• Members

i thought there was a study done somewhere, where they sed that every so many thousand years, the earth moves closer to the sun....its not an exact perfect circle/oval, it can have very minute changes. Just because the earth travels in this pattern, it could very easly get screwd up...just take a tiny lil change in how close it gets and we heat up.....

That definitely happens... and it takes a long time to happen.

• Members
I don't agree...the more pollution is kept to a minimum means even lower profit margins to giant corporations, hence less $$ will trickle down into my poor empty pockets
:idea:

we poor people should be doing everything in our power to ensure the continued riches to the super-rich
:o

I'm all for free enterprise... and for being efficient.

• Members

Evidence of global warming has been so heavilly commented on by scientists, written about in science journals, on the internet, documented in photos and satellite pictures, etc. that you really have to be in a state of denial not to realize that we are seeing the effects of it now. It's not about "warmer" days here and there. It's about extreme inbalances occuring in the environment caused by exploding populations, inordinate amounts of carbon emmissons, exacerbated melting of arctic and antartic icebergs which result in radical weather changes and rises in sea level. I should know, I work for an elite institute in the Alaskan Tundra that studies the effects of Global Warming. Just Kidding. But I am not kidding about how real this is. Seriously.

• Members

So when are we due for another Ice Age?

It depends on what happens over the next 100 years or so. The main thing is that the carbon dioxide and methane which has already been emitted into the atmosphere would take a while to deplete. Those gases will be in the atmosphere for decades to come, which will further enhance their role in the Greenhouse Effect. Then one has to take into account the ever expanding need for energy as the population of the Earth grows through the years to come.

Also, there will have already been a need for alternative energy sources by the time anything drastic were to happen, although one might argue that "drastic" events have already begun to take place.

The main question is this: Are these gases that are being emitted into the atmosphere helping matters in relation to global warming? The answer is no. Two negatives may make a positive when multiplied in mathematics. They don't in the field of Geosciences in relation to pollution.

Dale

• Members

It depends on what happens over the next 100 years or so. The main thing is that the carbon dioxide and methane which has already been emitted into the atmosphere would take a while to deplete. Those gases will be in the atmosphere for decades to come, which will further enhance their role in the Greenhouse Effect. Then one has to take into account the ever expanding need for energy as the population of the Earth grows through the years to come.

Also, there will have already been a need for alternative energy sources by the time anything drastic were to happen, although one might argue that "drastic" events have already begun to take place.

The main question is this: Are these gases that are being emitted into the atmosphere helping matters in relation to global warming? The answer is no. Two negatives may make a positive when multiplied in mathematics. They don't in the field of Geosciences in relation to pollution.

Dale

We're pretty much stuck with the carbon dioxide that's in the atmosphere now unless we actively combat it. It takes a LOT longer than decades for it to naturally "deplete" as far as the CO2 cycle goes.

As far as ice ages go, a few things can cause them, but it would take a long time for one to be brought on by the natural "earth wobble" way.

• Members

We're pretty much stuck with the carbon dioxide that's in the atmosphere now unless we actively combat it. It takes a LOT longer than decades for it to naturally "deplete" as far as the CO2 cycle goes.

As far as ice ages go, a few things can cause them, but it would take a long time for one to be brought on by the natural "earth wobble" way.

Not so much.... All it would take is a rapid heating of the polar ice caps. As far as current projections are concerned, by the year 2100 the average Earth temperature could be between 5 and 10 degrees fahrenheit warmer than it is today. The Arctic ice cap has depleted since the onset of the Industrial Revolution. How big of a temperature change have we went through in that amount of time? 1.5 degrees fahrenheit...

You do the rest of the math.

As far as my decades comment, I left myself open there. Yes, it is centuries. We're not helping matters as far as carbon dioxide emissions are concerned. Carbon dioxide emissions have increased over 30% and methane emissions have increased over 150% since the onslaught of the Industrial Revolution. Sure, I've had many a climatology professor tell me that .03% of the Earth's atmosphere is made up of carbon dioxide and it seems like an insignificant figure because it is so small. It looks like that small figure can definitely do some damage.

The only way we can combat this is by changing our main energy source, which I've already pointed out.

I wouldn't call this "natural earth wobble". It's not natural in any way, shape or form when we've introduced all of this "crap" into the atmosphere. We did it and we don't know if it will run away on us or not. From the looks of the projections, it more than likely will.

Mother Earth has a way of correcting herself.

Besides all of that, there is no telling what could happen between now and then. We could be hit by a comet. Some crazy ass bastard could incite an all out nuclear war. The second coming of Christ could take place. We don't know.

Have fun guys!

Dale

• Members

Not so much.... All it would take is a rapid heating of the polar ice caps. As far as current projections are concerned, by the year 2100 the average Earth temperature could be between 5 and 10 degrees fahrenheit warmer than it is today. The Arctic ice cap has depleted since the onset of the Industrial Revolution. How big of a temperature change have we went through in that amount of time? 1.5 degrees fahrenheit...

You do the rest of the math.

As far as my decades comment, I left myself open there. Yes, it is centuries. We're not helping matters as far as carbon dioxide emissions are concerned. Carbon dioxide emissions have increased over 30% and methane emissions have increased over 150% since the onslaught of the Industrial Revolution. Sure, I've had many a climatology professor tell me that .03% of the Earth's atmosphere is made up of carbon dioxide and it seems like an insignificant figure because it is so small. It looks like that small figure can definitely do some damage.

The only way we can combat this is by changing our main energy source, which I've already pointed out.

I wouldn't call this "natural earth wobble". It's not natural in any way, shape or form when we've introduced all of this "crap" into the atmosphere. We did it and we don't know if it will run away on us or not. From the looks of the projections, it more than likely will.

Mother Earth has a way of correcting herself.

Besides all of that, there is no telling what could happen between now and then. We could be hit by a comet. Some crazy ass bastard could incite an all out nuclear war. The second coming of Christ could take place. We don't know.

Have fun guys!

Dale

You stupid {censored}s should listen to this guy.

Archived