Creation or Evolution? ( Serious question for Evolutionists....)

EpiPaul03

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I challenge you, bring forth conclusive evidence...
:rolleyes:
I'm waiting...
don't have any?

Allegation: "we evolved from another species"

Evidence = ......
(waiting)

http://www.becominghuman.org/

Enjoy.

Here, this one has a game, it may be better for your level of intellect:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/tryit/evolution/

Also:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/humans/humankind/index.html

There is a plethora of information on this subject, all you have to do is read beyond the Bible and dogmatic psychopaths.

• Members

produce *TRUTH* hotshot....
I'll wait along with rememberduanne's answer for our evolution from another species...
you two self proclaimed genuises should be able to scrape something up...
....waiting...

They'res a ton of evidence that supports it.

Certainly a ton more than the God theory.

And where . . where exactly does hell freeze over?

• Members

I somewhat agree with you... and I'm a Christian. There is not a seperation between knowledge and spirituality (in which Christians need to better at, even knowing their own belief system). I believe that God wants us to learn and explore and create. But that doesn't change the fact that everything had to have a beginning somewhere... 4:6.

I can completely agree with this. I have met plenty of level headed catholics that didn't attempt to discredit all of science. These people pretty much believe what you wrote.

As far as the 'everything had to have a beginning' statement, that is false. We as humans only understand things which relate to what we can directly or indirectly observe.

The wonderful thing about the universe as far as people can tell is that it is infinitely complex in either macro or micro dimensions. What I mean is that the harder we look, the more we see, either on a sub-atomic level or a galatic level. It almost seems like there is no 'end' or 'beginning'. At least, those concepts are human in design and have no relevance to the real way the universe works.

• Members
http://www.becominghuman.org/

Enjoy.

Here, this one has a game, it may be better for your level of intellect:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/tryit/evolution/

Also:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/humans/humankind/index.html

There is a plethora of information on this subject, all you have to do is read beyond the Bible and dogmatic psychopaths.

nope...:rolleyes: try again kid...ask your dad to help!:D:idea:

• Members
but what was it that made our minds evolve the way they did? i understand that naturally evolution would be a foward-moving process, but moving forward isn't a one dimensional direction

there a hundred ways a hunter could capture/kill an animal in the wild; some requiring skill, some requiring pure strength, some requiring problem solving, and some requiring a combination of them...in the evolution of our species, the ability to achieve such a task would have been essential...and progress by any of those means of doing so would be considered evolution for survival's sake....so if not chance, what was it that made us evolve toward some methods moreso than others? why is that today we have the technology to capture the wildest and most savage animals on the planet via technology (problem solving) rather than sending a group of men to do it with their bare hands (strength) or one man simply outsmarting such a creature (skill)?

i'm like you i suppose, i think the universe is too big a mystery to be unlocked...atleast in my lifetime

well, i surely cant answer any of those questions at length, but i can say this...we have evolved to try and make life as easy as possible for ourselves! LOL the less effort we use, the better :thu: at least thats how it seems!

but yea...i dont think we will figure out the mystery in our lifetime, or if we ever will. :)

• Members

Yeah, I posted that link three pages ago. I'm pretty sure no one has read it yet. Maybe I should post it for the third time?

Oh, wait, I just did.

I just read it too... and the doc said that he doesn't know.....

The short answer is we don't really know how life originated on this planet. There have been a variety of experiments that tell us some possible roads, but we remain in substantial ignorance. That said, I think what we're looking for is some kind of molecule that is simple enough that it can be made by physical processes on the young Earth, yet complicated enough that it can take charge of making more of itself. That, I think, is the moment when we cross that great divide and start moving toward something that most people would recognize as living.

Is it hard to go from these little building blocks to a full-fledged organism?

Knoll: Well, we don't know how hard it is to go from the simplest bricks, if you will, in the wall of life to something that is complicated, like a living bacterium. We know that it happened, so it's possible. We don't really know whether it was unlikely and just happened to work out on Earth, or whether it's something that will happen again and again in the universe.

My guess is it's not too hard. That is, it's fairly easy to make simple sugars, molecules called bases which are at the heart of DNA, molecules called amino acids which are at the heart of proteins. It's fairly easy to make some of the fatty substances that make the coverings of cells. Making all of those building blocks individually seems to be pretty reasonable, pretty plausible.

The hard part, and the part that I think nobody has quite figured out yet, is how you get them working together. How do you go from some warm, little pond on a primordial Earth that has amino acids, sugars, fatty acids just sort of floating around in the environment to something in which nucleic acids are actually directing proteins to make the membranes of the cell?

Somehow you have to get all of the different constituents working together and have basically the information to make that system work in one set of molecules, which then directs the formation of a second set of molecules, which synthesizes a third set of molecules, all in a way that feeds back to making more of the first set of molecules. So you end up getting this cycle. I'm not sure we've gotten very far down the road to understanding how that really happens.

• Members

just my 2 cents

things like logic, evidence, and facts don't carry a lot of water when you're talking about faith...when you're talking about belief in a god of immeasurable power and wisdom

faith is something you believe...you don't have to know it, and you don't have to prove it

• Members
nope...
try again kid...ask your dad to help!
:D:idea:

Not only have you not had time to read anything or experience anything on those pages, you have absolutely nothing to say refuting ANY of it.

Your inane shots at my age only magnify your idiocy -- someone you dismiss as too young is far superior to you intellectually and ahead of you in acquisition of knowledge. Ouch, eh?

It will take a little bit more than a "lalalala" while covering your ears to refute hard science. Or did you refuse to read it because you were afraid of it unraveling your pathetically weak assumptions of reality?

It astonishes me that people are as inane, dogmatic, and idiotic as you.

• Members
yea that's right.... cause if they would have kept building the tower they would have gotten to heaven and God wouldn't want that. they built the tower that would reach the 'heavens' for pride... to seperate themselves from all other peoples. he doesn't want us to have faith in ourselves alone. all of proverbs is about gaining knowledge and wisdom. God want's us wise and open to do as He wills.

i didnt mean what i said as "god bashing". i think it probably sounded that way! LOL i was just telling a story that related to the Tower of Babel and Trinity Broadcast Network, and how narrow minded they seem. didnt mean it to offend anyone...just trying to be funny! :wave:

• Members

we evolved into male and female (and also notice that most other living organisms have done the same, from plants to insects to us!) to broaden the gene pool. think about it...if we just reproduced asexually (such as many single-celled organisms) by budding or dividing, you are just creating another organism which is "new" but which is basically the same as the "old" one. wheres the fun in that? wheres the exciting twists that mixing genes has? there is none. by having 2 sexes, you get the gene mingling, which also allows for MUCH faster evolution and adaptation.

one big problem is that many people who would have been taken out of the gene pool many years ago by diseases or disorders (the weak) are being kept alive and strong by our intelligence (medical advancements). i think this is a double-edged sword...on one hand were advancing our technology and health, but on the other were overpopulating the planet and weakening the gene pool. im sure it will start a great moral debate on whether "weak" genes should be allowed to carry on and multiply, or should we prevent that, or whatever. but they are working on eradicating many genetic diseases which would stop a lot of that stuff (gene therapy), so i guess that is kinda like artificial evolution LOL

im rambling here...ill just get to the point. SEX IS FUN!!! and a great workout. theres your answer LOL

I agree with everything you said (especially the "sex is fun" part). :thu:

Having sexual reproduction (as opposed to asexual/unisex organisms) is necessary for "survival of the fittest". I suppose an example of the one-sex vs. two-sex difference are with those C.elegan worms. Most of them are hermaphrodites that can self-fertilize but some of these worms occur as males that can also fertilize the hermaphrodites in lieu of self-fertilization. This allows some genetic variation within the species that allows the fittest to survive.

And as insensitive as this sounds, I do agree that modern medicine and technology has prolonged the lives of people that should've died long before they could reproduce. For example, if it turned out that asthma was purely a genetic disorder and we had no way of treating it, many asthmatics would've died during childhood (myself included) - which would decrease the probability of those genes/mutations being carried on to the next generation.

Having said that, I don't believe that we should prevent "weak genes" from reproducing themselves.

• Members

just my 2 cents

things like logic, evidence, and facts don't carry a lot of water when you're talking about faith...when you're talking about belief in a god of immeasurable power and wisdom

faith is something you believe...you don't have to know it, and you don't have to prove it

They carry all the water when people try to bring faith into scientific/logical debate.

Do you see? You can't bring logic into a discussion about faith, and you can't bring faith into a logical discussion.

• Members

but what was it that made our minds evolve the way they did? i understand that naturally evolution would be a foward-moving process, but moving forward isn't a one dimensional direction

there a hundred ways a hunter could capture/kill an animal in the wild; some requiring skill, some requiring pure strength, some requiring problem solving, and some requiring a combination of them...in the evolution of our species, the ability to achieve such a task would have been essential...and progress by any of those means of doing so would be considered evolution for survival's sake....so if not chance, what was it that made us evolve toward some methods moreso than others? why is that today we have the technology to capture the wildest and most savage animals on the planet via technology (problem solving) rather than sending a group of men to do it with their bare hands (strength) or one man simply outsmarting such a creature (skill)?

simply put, because it worked better. what we see as evolution are (for the most part) just the 'survival methods' that worked. the ones that didn't work as well weren't able to reproduce, and died off.

(that's waaaay oversimplified, but does that help to answer your question?)

• Members

Exactly, evolution does not explain why, it is just a theory with many loop holes and missing links.

I don't think science should try to explain "why" -- science should be "how". In my opinion.

Saying evolution is "just a theory" is ignorant. Theories hold quite a bit of water in science. The word is not the same as the common usage -- and it doesn't have as many loopholes as one may think.

• Members

The wonderful thing about the universe as far as people can tell is that it is infinitely complex in either macro or micro dimensions. What I mean is that the harder we look, the more we see, either on a sub-atomic level or a galatic level. It almost seems like there is no 'end' or 'beginning'. At least, those concepts are human in design and have no relevance to the real way the universe works.

From what i've heard (i need to find the specific example for you), most scientists believe that there was a specific beginning to our solar system... and that there will also be a specific end because of heat loss (suns burning out, etc...).

• Members

just my 2 cents

I'm all for that, everyone should be able to believe in whatever they want. But when you start a campaign to destroy someone else's point of view on the world because you're afraid that they might be right...

I hadn't even HEARD of creationism before about a year ago. And I've been interested in biology since I was 7.

• Members

How about this:

(let's just forget for a moment where all this stuff comes from...like a religious person who can;t explain where God comes from)

Certain scenarios exist that force a compound (of stuff) together that just kept growing. Over a span of time that we cannot comprehend. Oh we can say 3 or 4 billion years (the theroretical time for a new planet to have the potential for "intelligent" life.)...but really how long is that?...when we think of one hundred years as being a "long time".

Those compounds are carbons, and hydrogens....hydrocarbons. Like a prenatal sun that compresses it's matter and begins the fission cycle, once it starts it can't be stopped for...a long time. And some other stuff.... ending in "ine" and "mine". "Organic compounds". These compounds had billions of years to try new things....to attach detach reorganize...and wham! Something hit the right combination! And started a chain of events that led to YOU!

Why not consider the possibility that this just happened? For no reason? Not guided by any "supreme being". Like putting yellow on blue makes green. Why? You can say the pigments combine and absorb/reflect a different color.

Why? hellivIknow. It just does.

But people are afraid of that. They want a reason for all this suffering. That there will be some reward...that it isn't "all for nothing". I donm;t believe people are afraid of sin. Or fear God. They are afraid of the futility and emptiness. That they will disappear into nothingness. That they will return to the primordial soup, the inorgainic compounds whence they came.

I also entertain the possibility that a supreme being did this. An experiment maybe. But isn't as interested in us as much as we think. The whole "made in His image" thing is rather presumptious, as is typical of man and his self-proclaimed importance, in the universe and in daily life.

There is a theroy that life in a galaxy is only possibly in a donut shaped ring around the ceneter of the galazy, of which we are in that zone. A combination of cosmic waves and particles, possibly even temperature and such.

All very intersting stuff, wouldn't you say?

• Members
well, i surely cant answer any of those questions at length, but i can say this...we have evolved to try and make life as easy as possible for ourselves! LOL the less effort we use, the better
:thu:
at least thats how it seems!

but yea...i dont think we will figure out the mystery in our lifetime, or if we ever will.
:)

it's questions like the ones i asked that are the reasons why it's all such a mystery to me

i don't know if were created by a god, if jesus christ was his son, or if we all developed over time from bacteria...i don't pretend to know; but i can respect anyone who believes they have an understanding of that, as long as they can equally respect the beliefs of myself or anyone else who may not really agree with them

• Members

This isn't to troll, not to necessarily start an arguement either. (although it's inevitable).

But can someone who believes in the theory of evolution explain to me this question:

How does non-living matter become living matter? Has this ever been witnessed as a fact, or is it just assumed it happened that way?

You see, we can see species adapt and change over time, but have we ever seen an instance where non-living matter has developed into living matter?

I'm sorry if some of you are upset about the way I used the term "evolutionists". Instead of saying a serious question for people who believe in evolution, I just said Evolutionists. I didn't mean it as an insult or derogatory term or anything. Sorry if you assumed that I did.

Next, the theory of evolution does begin at the beginning of earth right? If you don't consider non-living matter into living matter (something that responds to a stimulus, etc, you know the deal) a part of Evolution, I don't see what else it would be under.

I have seen a couple (I'm being easy here) LIGIT responses to the question I originally posted. They were mediocre at best.

The question:

How did non-living matter transform into living matter?

I don't care what you classify as living, you know what I'm talking about. How did non-living matter (elements, atoms) turn into the first prokaryotes, protozoans, etc?

• Members

I think that the only thing threads like this are going to bring to light, is that there are those who ask "why?", and then try to figure out the answer, and there are those who would rather not ask "why?", but when cornered use their Faith as a reason for not needing to know.

It is in my nature to question everything. I find it difficult to relate to people who are different in that respect (including my wife, heh), but I imagine it works the same way for people who put a lot of stock in faith trying to relate to me.

-W

Archived