Brown sound nailed by Reeves with Powerscale, listen to this clip!

peppe6v6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

watts have no bearing on getting a tone

you can't be more wrong: more watts = less midrangy and nasal

in conclusion the tone of that clip was quite good for me a sweet sound maybe a little bit midrangey and fuzzy. not at same level of the real one.

• Members

Wrong again!

Tell you what, start a new thread, pose that as a question and add a poll and see what happens.

You have come to the right forum if you wanna learn about tone but you have to be receptive

• Members

You are the one who is wrong.

You can defend that sound if you want, but it's just excuses when you say things like "POD xt (is) 10 times more Harsh" and "It is impossible that 25 watt can sound like 100". The PODxt is not necessarily harsh sounding, and despite the fact that a 100W amp doesn't sound like a 25W amp, that doesn't mean midrange is less pronounced and nasal in a 100W amp. Those are your anecdotal observations, nothing more.

This clip misses the mark of the early VH sound in a few ways. I'm not even being very picky either; I'm just saying this is one of the less convincing clips of those which have been said to have "nailed" the sound. So far no one here has agreed with you either, about it "nailing" that sound.

• Members

Wrong again!

Tell you what, start a new thread, pose that as a question and add a poll and see what happens.

You have come to the right forum if you wanna learn about tone but you have to be receptive

O.K I'm tryng to be receptive

Why watt don't affect tone and does a 25 watt amp can sound like a 50 or 100?

I remeber when I was switching my modified DSL to 25 watt the tone changed drastically in a worse way.

Thank you

• Members

here it is:

Ain't talkin' about love without phaser and wha

I can't wait to buy it!

I thought it sounded okay, but I'm thinking a number of other amps would come closer, i.e. Roccaforte, Marshall (with a slight boost in front), modded Marshalls, etc., but still I thought it sounded okay; maybe just a little less vintage-sounding than some other amps.

• Members
Please check out VHoholic's 5150 combo clips listed on this link (as well as a number of Marshall ones from his page). IMO he's come extremely close to capturing the early VH tone:

http://www.jasonjosephphotography.com/soundclips.html

:cool:

Great work by Vhoholic's! He went more near then the reeves with the 5150, but as I was sayng that clip doesn't say the real worth of the amp, so I'm waiting to listen other clips!

• Members
Great work by Vhohlic's! He went more near then the reeves with the 5150, but as I was sayng that clip doesn't say the real worth of the amp, so I'm waiting to listen other clips!

I hear you. I'd like to have a nice Marshall right now. I can get a reasonable Marshall-type crunch (definitely not saying it nails Ed' tone, though) with my Peavey Ultra Plus on its crunch channel, but only when the amp is turned up enough to push the output tubes a good bit. :D

• Members

O.K I'm tryng to be receptive

Why watt don't affect tone and does a 25 watt amp can sound like a 50 or 100?

I remeber when I was switching my modified DSL to 25 watt the tone changed drastically in a worse way.

Thank you

That's your experience with that one amp, the way it works at its voltages with its transformers for its low power mode (however it achieves 25W compared to other amps) and how it was modified (and so on). That's all. That doesn't mean that other amps made as 25W amps sound the same in those regards; you just assumed that because of how your one amp sounds when it's in 25W mode compared to 100W mode.

You can't take an observation like that and make a real conclusion about other amps with it.

• Members

Sounds great! Thanks for posting that. The Realm sounds like a condescending know-it-all.

Well my opinion was the consensus so we're all condescending know it alls?

Oh what,since James is a builder you didn't decide to take issue with his strong opinions?

don't waste time posting speculative personal remarks when a thread has already confirmed another forumites opinion especialy when heavy weights are in agreement.

The guy said "nailed" and it was nothing really even in the ballpark so it's par for the course

I'm confident in my opinons relative to my experience/knowledge

I like you hairy, don't be a hypocritical idiot.

Peace:)

• Members

But I liked the tone. It had good growling mids and crisp highs.

I didn't think it was thin at all.

It's one thing to say "I didn't think it was thin"

but to say "I didnt think it was thin at all" tells me your tone deaf troll

BTW calling a tone thin doesn't mean it has no validity -nobody on this thread has said that.

Ok so provide an example of what you think a thin tone is and one you think is fat and ask people if they agree with you.

Archived