Anyone see the new issue of Keyboard?

mpegsucks

• Members

The term synthesis has broaden over the years. Most synths these days use a computer type format of some sort to help their product be more stable, broader, more practical, or whatever. Just be glad that synths are still going strong and did not die in the late 80's. Other musicians and non-synth players not only think they are cool but needed in all realms of music.

That is why I don't put down a product like the Microkorg. Many a guitarist/bassist with zero experience playing or programming synths and/or keyboards thought "I would like to give that shot." Good for them, good for us, good for everyone.

• Members

BTW, my studio is in the
(August). They got a few of the synth names wrong though. LOL!

I used to put a Juno 60 and SCI 6-trak over my CP70, and they made a great combination on a budget (excepting the CP70 buget-wise; I got mine abused for a bargain, and it still cost 8 times as much as the car I drove!)

OK, back to worshipping or stoning the Kronos, as suits your taste.

• Members

A computer isnt a synthesizer.

This can be real fodder for an all out forum war.

I agree- a computer is not a synthesizer. It needs all sort of software plus hardware interfaces to make it work. Sure, you can trick out a computer with a bunch of software and hardware, and it would be more powerful than the Kronos, but that is not a valid comparison. You can also add a bunch of hardware to the Kronos to multiply the power.

Nobody that I know of is selling a computer that you can unpack, plug in and start performing on.

• Members

I know what you are saying, but if that were expanded ( even a little) to ergonomic controls it would quickly use up the real estate. There is a TON under the hood.

Then expand the real estate. If I can't change it on the fly during a jam then it just as well not be there.

But again, that's just me playing devil's advocate. It's not a serious suggestion, of course. I recognize that there are other musicians who don't play like I do, and that doesn't invalidate their musicianship -- it's a good thing that we don't all play the same way.

This is no doubt a massively powerful synth in the hands of musicians who don't mind closing that hood while they're playing. It's just not a synth that would work for me.

• Members

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

I'd have to agree. I went to the music store with money in hand, ready to buy it. Then I got my hands on one. I thought the sound was very good, and the features were rich, but the interface was among the worst I've seen in any workstation. And it killed it for me. Interfaces matter.

I may get one down the line, but it's looking more like I'll wait until the next generation. The Triton was a similar experience. I bought the original Triton when it came out, only to regret it when they finally fixed all the things people bitched about with the Triton Studio and the Extreme.

I'm willing to bet they'll release a next gen Kronos in two years with an angled screen maybe an inch or so larger in diameter, better buttons, a bigger patch wheel, larger SSD, and maybe an extra sound engine or two. They might even bring back the drum pads, which were a nice addition on the Oasys and M3.

I'm a big fan of Korg -- my gear line-up reflects this -- but this is the first time an interface was so off that it tipped the scale against buying something like this.

• Members

this is the first time an interface was so off that it tipped the scale against buying something like this.

Wow. I'm surprised. I always felt that the Triton interface was revolutionary compared to the crap that's still out there. Motif? Laughable. The Kronos took what they did with the Triton and M3 and improved greatly on it. I can't imagine programming a synth without Korg's touch screen interface. Hell, tack on the fact that the Kronos has a HELP button so whatever screen you're on, it takes you to the exact place in the owner's manual WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON IT. What tops that?

• Members

The Kronos has an Intel Atom inside, the OASYS an Intel Pentium 4. The Hartmann Neuron had a Pentium III. All are running customized software.

"But I don't see any Windows 7 anywhere here" does not mean that it's not a computer

I'm pretty sure Keebler Elves make synthesizers. No computer programming involved, just chocolate and magic.

• Members

I was really disappointed with the build quality of the Kronos ... Jog wheel in particular seemed like it came off the cheapest Korg product ...

Unfortunately, the monitoring situation was dire so its hard to comment on the sound except that the quality of the patches seemed quite divergent ... There were some lovely sounds, though ... And I was enjoying the tone and responsiveness of the German grand ....

Keys seemed uncomfortably stiff at the top of the blacks ... But but the pletthora of controllers almost makes up for it ...

Save for the screen, which tries to include too much info at once ... That needs to be redesigned ... Perhaps the GUI needs to be scalable ...

An excellent choice, but I'm not quite as excited anymore as I ponder what it really offers me beyond what I already have ...

• Members

Wow. I'm surprised.

I was, too. I had MUCH higher hopes for the interface and build quality, based on what I'd seen in the Oasys. I knew there would be compromises, but come on. I had set aside the 3+ grand, and followed all of the teaser videos since it was announced, thinking, "This is it. This is why I DIDN'T buy an Oasys. I want this workstation."

Who knows. Maybe if GC would actually stock the Kronos, I'd have a chance to sit down with it again and fall in love with it. But so far, only one of the local dealers had one in stock. GC says they'd have to special order it, and I'd have to pay a deposit and buy it.

By and large, I tend to like Korg's interfaces. I've never had a problem with my M3 or Triton.

But as Caligula mentioned, many of the screens on the Kronos just have too much information crammed into them.

If anyone at Korg is listening, PLEASE GIVE YOUR NEXT WORKSTATION A VGA OUT AND MOUSE PORT. Touch screens are nice, but only if they're large enough and can be angled to face the user. The size of the Oasys screen was really the functional lower limit for an instrument like this.

• Members

for me, a powerful synthesizer is made in part by its interface. the Kronos just seems like the same boring, uninspired interface we've seen for decades- this one has a small, sub-netbook-sized LCD screen conveniently not angled towards the user and knobs/sliders/buttons with non-volatile, generic labeling. like every workstation before it, it will have no real presence on great electronic albums and zero longevity.

i want that last sentence included in its promotional brochure.

:)

• Members

So what is the most powerful synth ever, then?
:)

I'm sure the answer will be... a computer... but as far as hardware?

I mean, don't you have to define your terms, even a little bit? Keyboard is into helping to sell instruments from big companies, as is this forum, from what I can tell.

• Members

I mean, don't you have to define your terms, even a little bit? Keyboard is into helping to sell instruments from big companies, as is this forum, from what I can tell.

Turns out people don't mind being unpaid salesmen for products they actually like. Kinda weird really. :freak:

I can, for instance, tell you in detail why a Rapidograph is a better choice than a Marsmatic pen...

• Members

The Kronos has an Intel Atom inside, the OASYS an Intel Pentium 4. The Hartmann Neuron had a Pentium III. All are running customized software.

"But I don't see any Windows 7 anywhere here" does not mean that it's not a computer.

- One install of GarageBand away. Alternatively,
- sure, you have to hook up a controller keyboard, but you'll have to do the same for any synthesizer module.

Any rompler performs computing.

Archived