How do you get that unlimited sustain like santana?

escapethefate

• Members

Santana's early tone that made him famous was achieved with nothing else but a cranked solid-state GMT amp and a Gibson SG guitar.

opsyroc003p1.jpg

He has been pretty much sounding the same with about every rig since that. Tone - including Santana-like sustain - is in the fingers. If you can't nail his tone with just about any rig then you just need to practice harder.

Chasing the dragon with $$$ tube amps and certain guitar brands is just corksniffery.

• Members

If you are close enough to the amp, and its turned up a bit, ANY medium to high gain tube amp will sustain for as long as you want. You dont need anything else !!

This. That sustain is actually controlled feedback. Find the sweet spot, stand there and hold your note of choice until you spooj your shorts. :o

• Members

Santana's early tone that made him famous was achieved with nothing else but a cranked solid-state GMT amp and a Gibson SG guitar.

opsyroc003p1.jpg

He has been pretty much sounding the same with about every rig since that. Tone - including Santana-like sustain - is in the fingers. If you can't nail his tone with just about any rig then you just need to practice harder.

Chasing the dragon with $$$ tube amps and certain guitar brands is just corksniffery.

You beat me to this. His SS amp sounded like secks. But it was not the amp :idea:

• Members

opsyroc003p1.jpg

That said...there is a distinct difference between the Santana 60s/70s tone and the 80's/beyond Santana tone. His old tone was much brighter and harsher than it is now. You can hear the difference in his tone very clearly between the older albums and the new.

• Members

Part of Santana's sound check involved his turning his amp up to gig level and walking around until he found the sweet spot, that spot of sweet sustain just on the edge of feedback. Once he found it he would mark it (an X) with tape.

Watch his shows and sometimes you will see the X and you will see how he will keep coming back to it.

• Members

Apprently some of the people that posted had not realized Carlos had been using an overdrive since Supernatural.

He had mentioned this on a Guitar World article how he saw his new touring guitarist (at the time) use one, he asked why, and the guy told him that it would help with sustain. That way he doesn't have to crank his amp up like he used to, and it seemed that he was mighty pleased with doing so.

• Members

LOL I'll bite, but only to show that I actually know...

1) Vintage Gibson SG Special, or today's modern equivalent the SG Classic. Use the neck pickup.

2) Mesa/Boogie Mark I straight in. Set the volume 1, volume 2, and mid controls to 10. Set the treble and bass to 0. Presence should be like 4 or 5.

3) Enjoy.

Maybe use a humbucker equipped SG to smooth out the sound a little. If the P90s are harsh use the tone controls. Normally if you back them off to 4 or 5 it smooths out.

There, I've indulged in the Santana revival troll threads. I'm done.

Archived