Mesa Stiletto... The Marshal DSL Pwns This Mofo

Son Wolf

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Id say the JTM60, Marshall Artist, and the Club and Country are all worse than the JCM 900...

Yeh might not be the popular one, but I have an old JTM615 and it sounds better than any JCM900 i've owned... (Before a reaction starts, no I don't play metal)

• Members

I had a thread here asking for alternatives to a Mesa Stilleto for my rhythm guitarist but it aint here any more!

We all know Mesas dont cut it live and Marshalls are the amp of choice for the live player; but my rhytm guitarist has gone against me and got a Stiletto. And the {censored}tard hates it aahhahh!!! It is the best Boogie amp I have played but it still aint gonna cut it live.

How much tweaking time should we give it before we sell it and get a pair of DSL100s?
:D

You're a Troll or a F. N. G.

Maybe both.:blah:

• Members

Im laughing hard at all the Stiletto fanboys who are calling me a troll just because I dont share the love for their prize Mesa.

We have now had 5 shows with my rhytm guitarist using the Stiletto and I can say its still as bad as I thought it was originally. We even had some serious mesa fanboy techs come and tweak for us and it is just horrible. My guitarist has a sucker coming to relieve us of it today. Hes learnt his lesson, hes strayed from the path and thats good. But now its time for him to get real and get back to where live tone is really at. And in case you are unaware where good live tone is at then I can tell you its with a Marshall amplifier.

(Leave the Mesa in the bedroom).

• Members

Im laughing hard at all the Stiletto fanboys who are calling me a troll just because I dont share the love for their prize Mesa.

We have now had 5 shows with my rhytm guitarist using the Stiletto and I can say its still as bad as I thought it was originally. We even had some serious mesa fanboy techs come and tweak for us and it is just horrible. My guitarist has a sucker coming to relieve us of it today. Hes learnt his lesson, hes strayed from the path and thats good. But now its time for him to get real and get back to where live tone is really at. And in case you are unaware where good live tone is at then I can tell you its with a Marshall amplifier.

Lol "fanboy". Welcome to the late 90's. I like the idea of a fleet of "Mesa Techs" milling around your amp. Your fantasy is compelling and I love your ending.

So what is your band so I can check out your tone? You played 5 gigs so obviously you have a myspace with tunes up right?

• Members

And for the record he had a series 1 stiletto.

BT way...Mesa techs dialing in the sounds??? You are such a dick. There is hardly anything to dial. its not like a Mk IV or anything. Just shows you have no experience with this amp.

• Members

Go stick 3 fingers up your ass and 3 fingers in your mouth. Wait 3 minutes and swap hands M-Kay.

• Members

I guess it is all just personal preference. I owned a JCM 200 TSL 60 watt combo (which went into a 2x12 cab) and it sounded like POOP!:freak:

I now own a Stiletto ACE 50 watt head which is much more versatile compared to the TSL and it sounds damn good to boot.

But, the DSL's, as to what this post regarded to in the first place, sound pretty good when pushed.

• Members

Just shows you have no experience with this amp.

No {censored}, Sherlock.

I havent made any bones about this fact, why the hell else would I get some dudes to try and dial in a decent live rhythm sound for us?

My original statement still stands.

• Members

No {censored}, Sherlock.

I havent made any bones about this fact, why the hell else would I get some dudes to try and dial in a decent live rhythm sound for us?

My original statement still stands.

So if you have no experience with the amp, how come are you making statements? Oh. because you are a troll. Lick the lock troll.

• Members

Maybe your other guitarist sucks?

Because while I can understand preferring Marshall over Mesa (I generally feel the same), if you know how to dial an amp in, it should've been able to hold its own just fine. Sure you may prefer the DSL, its a great amp, but if it was PWNING the Mesa something isn't quite right. Either guitar/pickup/EQ settings/tubes/cab/*playing* is off IMO. Typically I've found that good bands using a marshall/mesa combo sound great as they can fill in each others gaps in the "grind" spectrum as telephant put it.

• Members

On the off chance you're serious, try these for the Stiletto:

Red/Fluid Drive/Bold/Tube/100 W

Master- 1:00, Presence- 9:30, Bass- 12:00, Mids- 1:30, Treble- 11:00, Gain- 2:00.

with a boost (TS9, SD-1 or similar) out front: Level- 5:00, Tone- 10:30, Gain- 7:00.

Hard rock rhythm tone.

• Members

I can understand why a guy would like the DSL/TSL better then the Stiletto. The Marshall has that saturated gain that makes it very easy to hide behind. The stiletto has huge amounts of gain too but it's "clean" gain that reacts to your picking. Think of Eddie Van Halen's old tone - It was over the top distorted but you could hear every note and it cleaned up well on single note lines.

The Stiletto is not for everyone - It's for guys who can play (Don't need to hide behind gobs of gain) and know how to use the nuances of the amp to make their statement.

Archived