Mesa Stiletto... The Marshal DSL Pwns This Mofo

Son Wolf

• Members

I had a thread here asking for alternatives to a Mesa Stilleto for my rhythm guitarist but it aint here any more!

We all know Mesas dont cut it live and Marshalls are the amp of choice for the live player; but my rhytm guitarist has gone against me and got a Stiletto. And the {censored}tard hates it aahhahh!!! It is the best Boogie amp I have played but it still aint gonna cut it live.

How much tweaking time should we give it before we sell it and get a pair of DSL100s? :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what the hell are you talking about dont cut it live? any amp where someone scoops the mids out sucks live

its called operator error, if anything mesa boogie made the mistake of endorsing some retards back in the late 90s and that led to the stupidity of the average mesa user

my dual rec slays the other guitarists DSL... aand weve tried all sorts of settings on both ends... at the end of the day... mine cuts and sounds fuller at all times...

troll

• Members

"Mesas don't cut it live"?

trolling.jpg

On the off chance you're serious, try these for the Stiletto:

Red/Fluid Drive/Bold/Tube/100 W

Master- 1:00, Presence- 9:30, Bass- 12:00, Mids- 1:30, Treble- 11:00, Gain- 2:00.

with a boost (TS9, SD-1 or similar) out front: Level- 5:00, Tone- 10:30, Gain- 7:00.

• Members

DSL vs Stiletto?

Mmmm, no contest, sorry. The Mesa Stiletto is a damn nice EL34 driven amp. NOT the best, might I add, but honestly beats the DSL.

What is with all the DSL love lately? I predict some harsh price hikes in the used sector, so all y'all with {censored} to sell, get shining!

Jon

• Members

Personally, I much prefer the Stiletto over the DSL.

And the whole Mesas don't cut it live thing total bull{censored}, btw.

I was recently at Matt's pad and played thru his Stiletto and DSL. I was impressed with the fact that both the Stiletto and his Single Recto were not resticted to what I call "the Tremonti tone." Plenty of treble and midrange on tap!

However, something about the Marshall not sounding as good as the Mesas on its own leads me to believe it might have a slight edge in a live band situation, kind of like my experience with JCM900s.

• Members

Mesa's don't cut live? Depends on how sloopy of a player is using them. I have owned both DSL and Stiletto and would take a stiletto any day of the week over the DSL. I love marshalls, but between those two the mesa sounds more organic. You really have to use the eq and play with tube combinations.

• Members

Be nice to my bedroom clip.

It doesnt sound like a Marshall to me. And it sounds a lot different than a DSL IMO (as it should right? :D ).

On that particular clip, it sounds real blurry in the mids to me. But you can tell the grind is there! And now that you've told me that it was bedroom volume, it makes sense.

I bet those mids clear up pretty good at band volumes eh? :)

Archived