Mesa Stiletto... The Marshal DSL Pwns This Mofo

Son Wolf

• Members

If you cant get a killer tone out of a Stiletto (version 2) then there is something wrong. Especially if you are a Marshall player.I have been using Marshalls forever and the Stiletto made me rethink my choice. The Stiletto's are killer amps , and in my opinion, the best thing Mesa has to offer right now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It doesnt sound like a Marshall to me. And it sounds a lot different than a DSL IMO (as it should right?
:D
).

On that particular clip, it sounds real blurry in the mids to me. But you can tell the grind is there! And now that you've told me that it was bedroom volume, it makes sense.

I bet those mids clear up pretty good at band volumes eh?
:)

It is a clip from a 1x12 made from a car subwoofer box, locked in my clothes closet, at TV levels. Apartments are great.

• Members

It doesnt sound like a Marshall to me. And it sounds a lot different than a DSL IMO (as it should right?
).

On that particular clip, it sounds real blurry in the mids to me. But you can tell the grind is there! And now that you've told me that it was bedroom volume, it makes sense.

I bet those mids clear up pretty good at band volumes eh?
:)

Yep. Pretty much my exact thoughts. It's an excellent tone, just not Marshally.

• Members

so the plot thickens!
:lol:

I am getting an ATA road case for my 2x12's, which I am going to slide my1x12 in, put a mic in, close the box AND place it in the closet.

And I am going to crank it and see what happens. Anything to avoid buying a power soak!

• Members

I had a thread here asking for alternatives to a Mesa Stilleto for my rhythm guitarist but it aint here any more!

We all know Mesas dont cut it live and Marshalls are the amp of choice for the live player; but my rhytm guitarist has gone against me and got a Stiletto. And the {censored}tard hates it aahhahh!!! It is the best Boogie amp I have played but it still aint gonna cut it live.

How much tweaking time should we give it before we sell it and get a pair of DSL100s?

That's probably because the {censored}tard doesn't know how to dial them in.....because once you do, they definitely sound better than DSL's, provided you've got a series II on your hands.

• Members

The thread starter is either a jackass or a troll. Im confused why we're actually taking it seriously in the first place!
:lol:

Maybe a little bit of both.

My Stiletto Ace has a "Marshall-Inspired" type of tone -- It's not authentic Marshall. The poster's original argument that a "Mesa", specifically the Stiletto, not being able to hang in a live situation is complete and utter bull{censored}. I go between using my Tremoverb head and my Stiletto Ace in the hard rock band I play in, the other guitar player uses a TSL,...very loud drummer and we're just loud in general. My Ace has no problem what so ever hanging in and cutting through.

DSL, TSL, Stiletto, etc -- they can all be dialed in to "cut through" in a live situation. Only someone that doesn't know what the {censored} they're doing would have a problem.

• Members

Stiletto just didn't cut it for me. Didn't have the same balls as the Marshall JCM2000s
:p

Well,...I think the term "balls" in this context is subjective like "good tone" is subjective. I owned a DSL for awhile,..even gigged it a few times. I thought it was a very nice sounding amp, but I just prefer the tones I can get out of my Ace better.

• Members

Well,...I think the term "balls" in this context is subjective like "good tone" is subjective. I owned a DSL for awhile,..even gigged it a few times. I thought it was a very nice sounding amp, but I just prefer the tones I can get out of my Ace better.

Its all about where you prefer your "grind" in the eq spectrum, if y'know what I mean. :)

• Members

it's gonna be hilarious when Marshall reissue the DSL...

sounds funny now but didn't they reissue the JCM900 last year? That might be the {censored}tiest tube marshall ever:lol:

LOL, my friends dad rented us JCM900's for a gig and thought it w as a great idea cause they were Marshalls. Man, those were worse than the backup SS crates.

• Members

Id say the JTM60, Marshall Artist, and the Club and Country are all worse than the JCM 900...

Actually the Club and Country is rather popular due to Alex Lifeson, who used it on Moving Pictures, Exit Stage Left, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure, so it's resale value is quite up there, despite the fact it sounds nothing like a Marshall. The Artist is quite popular because it can be very easily modded into a conventional superlead, and last but not least....the JTM60......... yeah, I agree with you there, its crap:)

• Members

eh. Mesa anything is weak. takes a whole lot of tweaking to dial in 'that' sound, but it's still not quite as natural as any good Marshall in my book. then again, a huge amount of modern Marshall stuff is garbage too.

what happened to cranking up a nice, old single channel amp and using a boost when entirely necessary? that's where the balls are, unless you're in it for pristine note definition.

ironically enough, I will argue that the JCM 900 does have it's place. the early 90's ones work incredible with a humbucking Strat for pumping out some real punk rock tunes. for anything else, yeah, I'll agree, they're pretty worthless.

Archived