Who here has owned/played Carvin guitars?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Tbone, Van is indeed here to troll but he unfortunately made a few very good points. He is in fact one of the clique resident trolls at carvin that drove their old bbs down the pipe and continues to drive customers away from there by the droves along with his comrades in arms.

You see it is NOT acceptable for anyone to have an opinion if it is in any way shape or form negative towards anything Carvin. Sure you can discuss Carvin but you MUST stay POSITIVE even if you don't like something about CARVIN. Even if they screw you over you must realize it is a privilege.

Of course he would have to go back and read hundreds of pages of posts on Carvins to see where you are coming from but he simply trolls and pounces.

see here

Van, you would be much better served going after "gcdef" if you want this thread to take off and heat up. [Trust me on this one.]

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Van,

My experience with a certain member on this forum:

1. He only comments on things he knows nothing about.

2. He makes comments on everything (see post count).

3. He's 180 degrees out of phase with my experiences.

4. So, his stated experience/expertise is not believable.

Therefore:

A person will do well if they do the opposite of what he recommends.

==============

BigBone,

Van does indeed make (more than) a few good points. He sets the record straight and has the experience to back it up. Van KNOWS what he is talking about.

• Members

Hey Van,

Therefore:

==============

BigBone,

Van does indeed make (more than) a few good points. He sets the record straight and has the experience to back it up. Van KNOWS what he is talking about.

Speaking of Carvin Fanboys. Here's one now. Smitty's answer to every question is "Carvin". :rolleyes:

I don't know why you guys have so much trouble acknowledging that Carvin's poop does occasionally stink. They can be good. They don't have to be perfect. It's okay. Really.

• Members

you have to take value into account too. I think if you got a carvin built with the same woods and specs as a prs, and swapped out the electronics and pickups for something similar... the differences would be minimal

Again, wrong. A Carvin CT with a mahoghany body and neck, two humbuckers, master volume and tone with pull coil tap, IS the same spec-wise as the Custom 22/24, and you cannot pontificate that the difference would be "minimal" unless you have tried this yourself. If you have facts to such an assumption, let us know, that would be very interesting.

Don't get me wrong here, I LIKE the Carvin CT's, and will probably have one sooner or later, but by my experience, they are not the same as my Customs that I own.

• Members
three.jpg

My Carvin is on the left in the pic above. It's a DC127c, loaded with a Duncan APH II in the neck and a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge. It is by far one of the nicest guitars I have ever had the pleasure to play. My guitar has locking tuners, instead of a locking nut. I have never had a tuning problem with this guitar... in fact, I'd say that it stays in tune better than all of my other guitars. I highly recomend Carvin's guitars. You can see and feel the quality in theor guitars and basses. I know that some people are going to get pissy, but I would put my Carvin up against a Shur or GMW anyday.

• Members

And here is why I am pleased with my Carvin gear.

I am also pleased with the service I've received from Carvin.

We'll start with this:

DC127T-1.jpg
DC127T-2.jpg
DC127T-5.jpg

And continue with this:

DC135T-1.jpg
DC135T-2.jpg
DC135T-3.jpg

Throw in a little of this:

CT6T-360-11.jpgCT6T-360-16.jpg

And wrap it up with this:
(Carvin PA - C1644P, 4 PM15s, 4 TRX153s, DCM2570, etc.)
PIC-1.jpg
PIC-2.jpg

• Members

You see it is NOT acceptable for anyone to have an opinion if it is in any way shape or form negative towards anything Carvin.

Not if said negative opinion is predicated (and then disseminated on a widely read public message board) on incorrect statements of fact couched as "opinion", no, it's not.

Tell me you don't like how a given Carvin (or any other brand) guitar body shape looks? Fine. Can't argue that. Tell me you don't like how the C22B/C22J pairing sounds in your metal rig compared to the higher output EMG81/85, no problem. Tell me you don't like the MTS's clipping diodes tone or that you think the Belair could stand to have more clear sounding gain and less tube chatter, cool. Those are your opinions, you know what you're talking about and there's nothing wrong with stating those opinions.

Tell me you don't like Carvin guitars because their necks are too scrawny, even including the Holdsworths? Talk to me about carved top SC90s? Well, sorry but your "opinions" are going to be exposed for what they are: fabricated drivel lacking any basis in fact.

As far as being a Carvin "fanboy", hey, if you know anything about the Carvin message boards you'd know that I'm known more than anybody over there for being outspokenly against their whole P.C. ethos that states that you can't speak to any subject there unless you're saying something complimentary or at least neutral. Probably more than anybody else I've gotten more comments and threads deleted over there because I insist on being objective in my statements. I call a spade a spade and I occasionally land in somebody's dog house because of it.

I don't feel a review or a comment is worth a bucket of spit if you know going in that it cannot be based in objectivity. If you can't also criticise than flattery is meaningless. Just have your facts straight before you criticise, that's all I ask, and that's where tlbonehead proved to be an ineffectual troll.

• Members

I don't feel a review or a comment is worth a bucket of spit if you know going in that it cannot be based in objectivity. If you can't also criticise than flattery is meaningless. Just have your facts straight before you criticise, that's all I ask, and that's where tlbonehead proved to be an ineffectual troll.

This quote by you doesn't sound very objective to me. It makes you sound like an over the top fanboy.

"Most of the people who talk about Carvin's pick ups haven't played but one set and it was probably over a decade ago and they're usually completely unaware of all the different pick ups Carvin now offers.

While nobody is perfect and no maker nails every aspect possible across the board nobody within shouting distance of Carvin's price range can touch Carvin for build quality and even if you disregard price differences no major manufacturer period can touch Carvin for a meticulously crafted and properly set up and delivered custom spec'd instrument built with the finest (and most unusual) woods available."

By the way, Carvin's aren't custom speced. You pick your model, you pick your options from their list. Ask for a 24 3/4" rosewood neck on a DC127 and see how far you get. Ask for pickup covers.

• Members

This quote by you doesn't sound very objective to me. It makes you sound like an over the top fanboy.

"Most of the people who talk about Carvin's pick ups haven't played but one set and it was probably over a decade ago and they're usually completely unaware of all the different pick ups Carvin now offers.

While nobody is perfect and no maker nails every aspect possible across the board nobody within shouting distance of Carvin's price range can touch Carvin for build quality and even if you disregard price differences no major manufacturer period can touch Carvin for a meticulously crafted and properly set up and delivered custom spec'd instrument built with the finest (and most unusual) woods available."

-Tell me who else in Carvin's price range will give you Carvin's level of precision build quality, component quality and set up consistency.

-Tell me which competing major manufacturer will give you a similarly custom spec'd instrument, and then tell me what they'll charge and how long they'll make you wait for said custom spec'd instrument.

Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS? Any of them, on either question? No chance. That's not "fanboy" raving, that's simple fact.

• Members

Hey Van,

Therefore:

==============

BigBone,

My little buddy from Live Sound with the Carvin blinders on. Nice to see you. Why didn't you mention the Carvin stuff that I always have praise and respect for along with the other stuff? Why do you always ignore things when I call you on them? Why does 98% of the rest of the Live Sound forum tend to disagree with almost everything you state there?

• Members

My little buddy from Live Sound with the Carvin blinders on. Nice to see you. Why didn't you mention the Carvin stuff that I always have praise and respect for along with the other stuff? Why do you always ignore things when I call you on them? Why does 98% of the rest of the Live Sound forum tend to disagree with almost everything you state there?

Why so much {censored} talking???

• Members
Why so much {censored} talking???

If you saw some of his posts in Live Sound, you'd know. And they were valid questions. So the next time I highly recommend an X-head or Carvin cabs, or Carvin bass,(which I do very often, for good reason) according to the poster, folks should disregard these suggestion as bullcrap?

• Members

By the way, Carvin's aren't custom speced. You pick your model, you pick your options from their list.

The fact of which makes them custom spec'd. Are they unlimited in what they'll do? Nope. They're not a full custom shop.

Does the fact that you may order your DC in seafoam green with a matte satin finish, walnut neck, koa sides, 16" radius, nickel jumbo frets, CT headstock, Floyd Rose and an H-S-H pick up configuration and I may order mine all in mahogany with a tung oil finish on the neck, a gloss finish on the body, 12" radius, SS medium jumbo frets, reverse inline headstock, M bridge and an S-S-H pick up configuation mean that our two guitars were custom spec'd?

Damn skippy it does.

No, Carvin won't give you metal covered pick ups or a 24 3/4" scale neck. Fender won't either. Neither will Ibanez, on most guitars. PRS won't give you different scale length options per guitar and neither will Gibson. Fact is, almost nobody will. Difference is, those other companies also won't let you choose any of these specs, which Carvin will let you custom spec:

-Standard or rounded body option on many models

-Body binding on some models

-Different finishes for the body binding

-Tung oil, matte satin or gloss finishes on any portion of the guitar, including mixing and matching different finishes over different portions of the guitar

-Numerous and even exotic tonewood choices for each component of the guitar, whether it be bodies, tops, necks, body wings, headstock overlays or fretboards

-Specific wood grain appearance requests

-Five piece laminated necks, using any woods you want

-Layered body wood inserts, using any wood you want

-Any damn color you can imagine, with any of three different finishes

-Nickel fret size

-Stainless steel fret size

-Fretboard radius

-Fretboard inlays

-NO fretboard inlays

-Headstock shapes

-Headstock logos

-Headstock finish to match the body finish...or not

-Personalized truss rod cover inscriptions

-Your choice of multiple types of fixed bridges

-Wilkys or Floyds

-Hardware finish (Gold, black chrome or satin chrome)

-Bridge routes

-Pick up routes

-Pick up types

-Pick up colors

-Piezos

-Endless electronics options

-Control layouts

-Control colors

-Graphite nut or locking nut (gold, black chrome or satin chrome)

-Locking tuners

-Straplocks

-Molded plastic or "vintage" tweed cases

-Personalized string gauge set up

Now, what was that about your Carvin guitar not being "custom spec'd"?? Do you realize how many possible permutations all those options represent in terms of final guitar specs? Sure, there are even more things they could conceivably offer but as it already stands they give you more custom spec options than any other major manufacturer and they do so without charging you twice as much (or more!) for custom work and they don't take a year or more to deliver your custom spec'd guitar to you. Unless you order koa, which often takes a bit longer, they build and ship your custom spec'd guitar to you in roughly six to ten weeks.

Nobody else does this and they do it even on their least expensive electric guitar, which is built to the same exacting specs using the same components as their most expensive guitar. On top of all that all of Carvin's electric guitars are built here in America, and can all the other major American brands make that same claim?

Truly, Carvin is unique in the electric guitar marketplace. They're by no means perfect and I have numerous nits to pick with them but the bottom line is nobody else does business the way they do business and as a result of how they do business we the consumer get a lot more guitar, a lot better guitar, and a much more custom spec'd guitar than we can get from any other major manufacturer.

Factor all that in and then add in Carvin's substantial price advantage compared to their competition and I'd say that for the sake of all of us their unique way of doing business needs to stop being unique. Dunno 'bout the rest of you but I sure as hell would love to be able to call up Fender and have them build me a Jeff Beck Strat in Antique Burst or true "white" white rather than their off white "Olympic White", with SS medium jumbo frets, a 14" radius and a pop in tremolo arm. I'd also like Gibson to offer me the possibility of an ES335 with SS medium jumbos and the input jack relocated to the side of the guitar.

Can't do either one, can I? Or, at best (and I'm still not sure they'd do it), I'd have to go through their Custom Shops and then they'd take well over a year to build me a guitar and that guitar that really should only cost about $1500-2000 suddenly cost me $3500-$5000.

Yep, I don't think anybody can dispute that we'd all benefit if some of the other makers out there would start to copy at least some aspects of Carvin's business model...

• Members

The fact of which makes them custom spec'd. Are they unlimited in what they'll do? Nope. They're not a full custom shop.

On top of all that
all
of Carvin's electric guitars are built here in America, and can all the other major American brands make that same claim?

Truly, Carvin is unique in the electric guitar marketplace.

I care about none of that if I can't rely on it on stage. I'd take a reliable bare bones Tele over a tricked out foo foo looking Carvin that I couldn't count on any day of the week.

• Members

I care about none of that if I can't rely on it on stage. I'd take a reliable bare bones Tele over a tricked out foo foo looking Carvin that I couldn't count on any day of the week.

Agreed, and whatever bad experience you obviously must've had with Carvin guitars is without a doubt the exception and not the rule. I can guarantee you that similar stories of Strats, Teles and LPs crapping out on their owners are legion.

Nobody is perfect and Carvin can produce a lemon every so often too. They're hardly alone in that respect though and one HUGE difference there is that with Carvin I can usually call the San Diego factory and actually speak with the head guitar tech right there on the phone (no long waits and convoluted messages via e-mail, no constantly playing phone tag with voice mails...) and if there's a problem with my guitar he'll personally see to it that a UPS truck will come out and pick up my guitar, free of charge, and he'll then personally make sure that guitar is set to rights back at the factory. He'll get that guitar back to me in perfect shape in a very timely manner; much quicker than you're ever going to see (on average) when dealing with Fender/Gibson/Ibanez/PRS/whatever.

Carvin's customer service is so far above and beyond that of the monolithic brands that it's not even worth debating. Their QC and their attention to set up details means that on average compared to Fender/Gibson/Ibanez they also turn out FAR fewer initial lemons.

• Members

well, I just recently recieved a brand new DC727C 7 string from them and I'm freaking thrilled with it. My first Carvin and she 's a beauty.
Nice full neck, all mahogany under that beautiful quilted top, birdseye maple board with abalone dots and SS 6100 fret wire.
this thing kicks serious ass. (the bridge pick up is a little weak but by no means terrible)
Very nice playing 7 string :thu: Where else am I going to get a 7 string with those specs without dropping $3,000.00 and waiting for a year to get it?
DSCN0617.jpg
DSCN0563.jpg

Archived