Who here has owned/played Carvin guitars?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

what do you think about them? The only really negative thing I could find about them is that most people don't like the stock pickups, but that's not a big deal to me... just swap them out. I was thinking about checking out the california carved top series and the DC shred style guitars..... just have been looking around on their website lately and getting pretty interested in trying some out. anybody here have a carvin(s) you love? tell me about it :)

:wave:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what do you think about them? The only really negative thing I could find about them is that most people don't like the stock pickups, but that's not a big deal to me... just swap them out. I was thinking about checking out the california carved top series and the DC shred style guitars..... just have been looking around on their website lately and getting pretty interested in trying some out. anybody here have a carvin(s) you love? tell me about it
:)

:wave:

my dad had a really nice one with carvin active pickups when i was growing up and learning to play... he had to pawn it off a year back and damn do i wish i could have got that guitar from him.. it was amazing

• Members

I have played them but never owned one. They are pretty good guitars and you can order them with lots of options. The worst thing I can say is that they do not hold their resale value like most other guitars.

• Members

had a dc127 for years, it was a killer guitar

it wasn't for me tho...the alder body and maple thru neck were too bright sounding

you liked the feel and playability though? you think if you had one with different woods you would've liked it more? maybe a mahogany one with maple top or something?

• Members

I have played them but never owned one. They are pretty good guitars and you can order them with lots of options. The worst thing I can say is that they do not hold their resale value like most other guitars.

yup... neither do G&L or Heritage though, and they both make killer guitars. bad for you if you buy new, but great if you buy used :thu:

• Members

I had two. Found them way too unreliable to take seriously. Some people really love them, so who knows. You take your chances I guess. I have a hard time believing they're all as bad as the two I had, but the two I had were horrible.

• Members

you liked the feel and playability though? you think if you had one with different woods you would've liked it more? maybe a mahogany one with maple top or something?

i loved the feel and the playability was great...mine had sperzels and graphtech saddles, when it came to tuning stability and string life no other guitar i've owned compared

if they made a 24.75" scale i liked, i'd order a mahogany body maple neck one as soon as i had the cash...probably get SS frets too :D

i think i sold mine to nickname009, he put EMG's in it and i think might've re-sold it

augusta1

• Members

I had two. Found them way too unreliable to take seriously. Some people really love them, so who knows. You take your chances I guess. I have a hard time believing they're all as bad as the two I had, but the two I had were horrible.

unreliable? how?

and bump for teh thread

• Members

I own two, a DC400 and a CT6. They are both awesome players - the CT6 sounds much better than the DC. A lot of people do complain about the stock pickups... I actually like the C22B pickups, but haven't cared for either of the neck pickups I've tried (C22N and H22N). They do have a new neck pickup that comes standard, though.

• Members

I own two, a DC400 and a CT6. They are both awesome players - the CT6 sounds much better than the DC. A lot of people do complain about the stock pickups... I actually like the C22B pickups, but haven't cared for either of the neck pickups I've tried (C22N and H22N). They do have a new neck pickup that comes standard, though.

do you think it's just a pickup thing or is it the body woods too? in other words, do you think DC upgraded with some really nice pickups would sound a lot better?

isn't there someone else on here that owns a few? I think Deathmonkey, maybe?

• Members

unreliable? how?

and bump for teh thread

I've posted my stories a bunch of times. Every time I do the Carvin fanboys come out and give me a bunch of crap as if I'm making it up.

To make a long story short, the first one, 1 1992 DC145, had a very thin and extremely unstable neck. This was before they started using graphite rods. It needed a truss rod adjustment every day - and no that's not an exaggeration.

The second was a 2005 DC127 with the Fishman active Piezo bridge. No end of electronics trouble. Bad jacks, the whole Fishman thing died in a few months, noisy pots and switches. Nice wood and workmanship, but really crappy, unreliable electronics. FWIW, I'm one of the few that seems to like the sound of the stock pickups. Mine was a mahogany body which may have made a difference to the tone.

• Members

Aside from the occasional (and, really, unavoidable, given the nature of woods) straight lemon, I've heard nothing but great things about them. The few basses that I've played rocked, and of the three or four guitars that I've picked up, they're solid as hell, and play very nice.

All I ever hear is that the stock electronics are weak.

I wouldn't mind an SC90S, personally.

• Members

I've got a bolt from a kit and a DC120. They rock. Very fat sounding. I can see why people would want to switch out pickups, especially the humbuckers. However, the single coil in the neck position of my bolt sounds fantastic to my ears.

Someone mentioned tuning stability. I would like to second that. Unless there's a fairly drastic change in climate (temp or humidity), I will go for weeks without having to do more than a cursory tuning, mayb to get one string in tune. On the DC120 this is a lifesaver - tuning a 12 can be a real bitch.

Also - if you're concerned about resale value, you can get koa wood, which does not experience the same drop in value.

• Members

We have a used DC-145 at my job. I {censored}ing LOVE it. All it needs is a good set up and it would be damn near perfect. The bridge has a little rust on it, but that really doesnt bother me. It's only going for $550 w/ OHSC...I really want it.

• Members

We have a used DC-145 at my job. I fucking LOVE it. All it needs is a good set up and it would be damn near perfect. The bridge has a little rust on it, but that really doesnt bother me. It's only going for $550 w/ OHSC...I really want it.

like it more than the ibanez I bought? :cry:

haha

• Members

like it more than the ibanez I bought?
:cry:

haha

Well since the Ibanez is set up a hell of a lot better, yeah.

But if I got the Carvin set up with some DR's and tuned it down, it would be VERY close.

The Carvin has one thing that I LOVE...an ebony board. Its SSSOOOOO smooth. also the lockign sperzelz....and...yeah...its just awesome. I HATE being broke.

• Members

Well since the Ibanez is set up a hell of a lot better, yeah.

But if I got the Carvin set up with some DR's and tuned it down, it would be VERY close.

The Carvin has one thing that I LOVE...an ebony board. Its SSSOOOOO smooth. also the lockign sperzelz....and...yeah...its just awesome. I HATE being broke.

I got an old 1985 Ibanez Pro-Series that reminds me of my Carvin. It also has an Ebony fingerboard :thu:

Archived