48-Track Recording & VST Support To iPad

Casio Man

• Members

That sounds cool on paper, and it is possible that the iPad has the bandwidth to record audio, but I don't think it has the processing power to handle more than just a few VST instruments at a time.

Expanding this thread topic a bit:

Coincidentally, I bought and started playing around with Genome sequencer for iPad (I have the IK Multimedia iRig MIDI which is pretty cool) this weekend and Genome can talk to other iPad audio apps that are capable of running in the background and also support core MIDI (e.g. Sunrizer, Bassline, NLogSynth, Animoog, Molten Drum machine, etc). The "lore" (unverified by me as I have only tried it with one synth at a time so far - Sunrizer - and it works) is that this works okay up to three apps running simultaneously before the iPad starts to crap out of processing power and you get crackling artifacts in the output audio stream. So I am skeptical about a program that hosts more that just a couple VST plugins at a time.

The main reason why I bought Genome is to turn my iPad into a step sequencer that can talk with my modular synth via my Kenton MIDI/CV interface and with other stuff like the Blofeld desktop at the same time. I have done this with the Octatrack and it is fun, but I wanted to try it with the iPad too.

It was an iPad, modular, and Elektron long weekend for me because my main drive crapped out on my computer (happily I put my audio stuff on the second drive). I have taken this as a sign from the gods that I should build a new DAW/Gaming/Video editing computer. The parts are arriving from Newegg on Thursday afternoon :D

Incidentally, there is a *free* app called "Little MIDI machine" that is incredibly cool too. It turns your iPad into a little two channel MIDI step sequencer having very nice interactive controls. With the iRig MIDI and the Kenton, this particular app is very fun.

I think that MIDI and OSC sequencing and control of hardware and software is really where it is at with iPad music making. The audio apps are fun, but the sequencing and control aspects are much more than that - real and useful tools.

• Members

Yes, after 48 audio tracks I expect it to be coughing with even one VST instrument. But if theres no midi tracks you don't need to run many VST's at once. iPad 3 might be that much more powerful though, and I'd like to see that VST -support on iPhone too.

• Members

I hope it was not them that posted the YouTude as the title is misleading...

Auria site info says ''Auria'' includes:

Up to 48 tracks of simultaneous playback

Record up to 24 tracks at once

VST plugin support

AAF Import and Export

Fully featured multitrack editor

Includes plugins from PSPaudioware, Fabfilter, and more

• Members

''With the ability to play 48 mono or stereo 24bit/44.1 kHz tracks simultaneously, record up to 24 of those tracks simultaneously (through any supported USB multichannel audio interface), and edit and mix with familiar tools and full parameter automation, it

Archived