I am in need of MEANER Tone

vrm

• Members

My vocalist and drummer are giving me a hard time about my tone. They want it meaner sounding and I don't really know if I want to go there. Let me put it this way I play the gear in my sig and you can hear clips @ http://myspace.com/subjectus

Our singer has a bunch of friends in bands that play 5150's and such and I think he's refering to that "style"of tone. I just don't want to sound like all the other bands out there. I guess I want to play somewhat modern styled music but w/ more of a vintage rock tone. We aren't really seeing eye to eye on this one. Is there any pedal that you'd recommend for "modern" style gain using my Ampeg vl-502. I'm not against gettinga 5150 at all, I've heard some amazing clips covering a broad range of styles

• Members

tell your singer that if he would like to play guitar, then play, otherwise STFU n00b! there's something to be said for not sounding like everybody else out there. also, if this is the tone that YOU like/have/hear in your head, you would be a fool to let some yodeler...i mean singer, change that. if you are happy with your tone, then that's all that matters. personally, while i don't necessarily listen to the stuff you guys do, i think it sounds pretty damn good. the only reason for you to get a "meaner" tone is if you get a meaner singer, drummer, and bass player, IMHO.

• Members

First try a few EQ tips. Lowing the gain will make your tone punchier and hence meaner. Adding mids (ala Slayer) gets a meaner tone too.

If you want a boost that gets you there look at a DS1, or a Metal Muff.

Cheers

• Members

Get a used jcm800 or a jmp, send it to Dave Friedman for an Angry Hippie mod with KT88 tubes, that's mean!

Dave worked the Tool amps, but not with the Hippie mod...

Used Marshall price ?? 800 to 1000, could be less!, DF mod arround $500, with as much as $1500 you will get a MEAN but great sounding amp! With as much gain as a Bogner Uber...

• Members

If you don't want to sound like everyone else out there, then don't write music like everyone else out there. Its that simple. Your amp has nothing to do with sounding like everyone else. Does EVH (when he was using 5150's) sound anything like In Flames, and do either of them sound like Machinehead? Don't think so.

Joe

• Members
My vocalist and drummer are giving me a hard time about my tone. They want it meaner sounding and I don't really know if I want to go there. Let me put it this way I play the gear in my sig and you can hear clips @

Our singer has a bunch of friends in bands that play 5150's and such and I think he's refering to that "style"of tone. I just don't want to sound like all the other bands out there. I guess I want to play somewhat modern styled music but w/ more of a vintage rock tone. We aren't really seeing eye to eye on this one. Is there any pedal that you'd recommend for "modern" style gain using my Ampeg vl-502. I'm not against gettinga 5150 at all, I've heard some amazing clips covering a broad range of styles

I suggest looking into a quality MXR 10-band EQ to put in your amp's FX loop (if you have one). With the amount of control an EQ gives, you can go from mean sounding metal to mid-heavy solo sounds.

• Members

IMO: I think the gain level is quite right... I think that your tone could use a little more brightness and upper-mids but most of all- More Digging Into the Strings. You don't sound any meaner than you play! I don't know how you practice but if you haven't tried then try to practice a bit only on your guitar without any amplification. You'll see that only how you play matters. Also you seem to have a little timing issues that cought my ear. But you guys have potential. Your drummer should hit harder or more solidly (?) also as I can hear that he's playing a bit dull that affects the whole bands sound (I'm not english speaking so pardon me on my expression).

• Members

maybe the two of you should come to some sorta compromise...see if you can find something within a feasible budget that sounds 'meaner' like he wants, but more unique than a 5150

framus and splawn would be a few that i might look into, tho you may find them too modern sounding...vht makes some nice agressive sounding amps as well

good luck

FWIW i think everyone in a band should be able to have some input on the way things sound, it's something that represents everyone...at the end of the day it's you that has to spend the money on it tho, and it's your rig to play no doubt

Archived