Best keybed midi controller? (fatar?)

• Members

Novation SL MKII is Fatar. (Not that every Fatar keyboard feels good, necessarily... but I think this one has a pretty decent reputation.) Other possibilities could be the Roland A-800PRO or Analog Experience THE LABORATORY 61. I think they are all in the same general ballpark, as opposed to the M-Audio models or Novation Impulse, which I think are less Kronos-like, but more of the springier semi-weighted piano-key-shaped variety.

• Members

Probably the Novation is your best bet, if it's anything like the original mark I ReMOTE. I'll also agree that not all Fatar keyboards are great, but the one in the ReMOTE is decent. I played an A-500 once at NAMM last year when it was new and I was disappointed. The fulcrum is too far forward (so if you tend to dig toward the backs of your keys, it's not much fun), and the keys are too short.

It seems the thing to do these days is spend all the product costs on bells and whistles and then cheap-out on the actual keys. Yeah, manufacturers, I'm talking to you! You know, the keys? Those things I actually by a keyboard for??

Grrrrr!

• Members

It seems the thing to do these days is spend all the product costs on bells and whistles and then cheap-out on the actual keys. Yeah, manufacturers, I'm talking to you! You know, the
keys?
Those things I actually by a
keyboard
for??

Grrrrr!

That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by the Korg SP250; an absolute paucity of bells and whistles and their top-of-the-line (weighted) keybed. Exactly what I wanted at $700.

• Members

I have Novations X-Station and I was pleasently surprised by its keyboards feel. Is it Fatar too?

I think it would be more interesting to list the companies who *don't* use Fatar as their keybed.

Yamaha I think is the only major challenger I can think of.

• Members

I think it would be more interesting to list the companies who *don't* use Fatar as their keybed.

Yamaha I think is the only major challenger I can think of.

I believe Yamaha, Roland, Casio, Kawai, CME, and Korg all make their own keybeds, though at least Korg uses a mix of their own and out-sourced keybeds. I don't think Yamaha, Roland, Casio, Kawai, or Korg sell their keybeds to any other manufacturer, though, with the exception that there were some Korgs that used Yamaha actions (and Yamaha owned a good chunk of Korg at the time, which I don't think is the case anymore).

• Members

I like the feel of my Akai MPK88, which is a Fatar keybed. Not sure how the 61 compares.

I had a MPK61 and had to return it because the keybed was horrendously stiff. It launched me into a search for a decent quality keybed. My conclusion so far is that most companies only put their nicest keybeds on their flagship keyboards. They must think people who don't need a $3,000 workstation also don't care about quality keybeds.

• Members

I had a MPK61 and had to return it because the keybed was horrendously stiff. It launched me into a search for a decent quality keybed. My conclusion so far is that most companies only put their nicest keybeds on their flagship keyboards. They must think people who don't need a $3,000 workstation also don't care about quality keybeds.

The MPK88 is nowhere near that pricey, but it does have weighted piano-like hammer action, so it might not be what you're looking for.

• Members

I use a Kawai K5000S for my controller keyboard. It has the best synth action of any keyboard I have every played. Even the sharps are textured. I think it is a fatar as well, except very old.

-dj

Archived