Man I love the JB!

Sordid1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I have the JB coming in the mail!

If I like British heavy crunch and liquidish leads, should I leave the pickup stock or change the pot to 250k like mentioned?

I use a Ibanez Rg520QS
:)

it was designed for the 500k..try that first..if you don't ike it then consider swapping the pot

• Members

it was designed for the 500k..try that first..if you don't ike it then consider swapping the pot

actually that is inaccurate my friend. The pickup was designed arounda 250k pot and that's why it sounds so good with one. From what you describe I think you will dig it with the 250k pot and if not they are very cheap and fairly easy to swap out.

• Members

actually that is inaccurate my friend. The pickup was designed arounda 250k pot and that's why it sounds so good with one. From what you describe I think you will dig it with the 250k pot and if not they are very cheap and fairly easy to swap out.

from the SD site:

The world

• Members

I just bought a LTD deluxe MH-1000 which orignally came with a JB in the bridge. The previous owner replaced the JB with a Dimarzio Tone Zone but also included the original JB with the purchase. I was thinking of swaping the JB back. Although the TZ sounds pretty good! How do the two compare?

• Members

Whatever Matt that just says a bunch of jibberish but doesn't say i'm wrong. Really it sounds good either way but for my tastes I like it better with the 250k. As far as compared to the TZ I think the TZ's are great but they are super low mid heavy without much highs. I think the JB's sing a lot more and are warmer overall and brighter at the same time.

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

I never played a TZ before..

• Members

what pickups did you have in your prs?

i've just got a ce24 and i really like the sound of the stock pups.

my les paul has a jb in it and i think it sounds great, really cutting and full.

• Members
You JB fans should try slapping an Alnico 8 Magnet it there.
:love:
Lead guitarist's wet dream of a pickup. The clarity goes through the roof no matter how much gain you're using.

i did it in a Duncan Custom SH-5
heavy modern sounding , smooth highs, less ice picky, full of low mids, great leads and cleans, but it gets a little muddy in heavy power chords (too much low mids), but i still prefer it over any stock Duncan

but the BK Holy Diver is as chunky as the Custom 8, but it humiliates it and any other pickup in clarity and definition, and it has the JB vibe without that overbright sound that you guys are trying to cut with lower impedancy pots
i never was totally happy with a pickup before it and i tried almost everything (except dimarzios... i don't like them :p)

• Members

i did it in a Duncan Custom SH-5

heavy modern sounding , smooth highs, less ice picky, full of low mids, great leads and cleans, but it gets a little muddy in heavy power chords (too much low mids), but i still prefer it over any stock Duncan

but the BK Holy Diver is as chunky as the Custom 8, but it humiliates it and any other pickup in clarity and definition, and it has the JB vibe without that overbright sound that you guys are trying to cut with lower impedancy pots

i never was totally happy with a pickup before it and i tried almost everything (except dimarzios... i don't like them
:p
)

Funny, I have a custom in my LP (didn't feel right throwing Dimarzios in an LP), and I'm not a fan of it. It just lacks punch to it.

I'm a Dimarzio fan at heart though. I'm tempted to throw a D-Sonic in the LP, but that may be LOOOADS of low mid-range. :D

• Members
Funny, I have a custom in my LP (didn't feel right throwing Dimarzios in an LP), and I'm not a fan of it. It just lacks punch to it.

I'm a Dimarzio fan at heart though. I'm tempted to throw a D-Sonic in the LP, but that may be LOOOADS of low mid-range.
:D

I know a lot of guys that swear by Dimarzios and I kind of like them but they all seem to have a little something in the midrange I find a little cold.

• Members

JB's rule........used them for years. Very 'organic' rock pickup. The Holy Diver sounds ineresting though. The only pickup that I like as much as the JB is the Anderson H2+.....all the warmth and balls with a little more bass and a little less high end...........

• Members
JB's rule........used them for years. Very 'organic' rock pickup. The Holy Diver sounds ineresting though. The only pickup that I like as much as the JB is the Anderson H2+.....all the warmth and balls with a little more bass and a little less high end...........

If you like the JB, try the Rio grande BBQ!!!!!!!!!:thu:

I thought the H2+ was a ceramic pickup?

Archived