I don't want an amp.

thesteve

• Members

Well, im getting ready to start living the dorm life, but ill need some way to keep rocking out.

What are my best/cheapest options for practicing with headphones?

I was also looking at ways to do very basic playing and recording on my laptop. PODxt, ToneLab, what would be my best bet.

Need to keep it simple and cheap.

• Members

do any of those come with halfway decent recording options. Nothing complicated, just being able to lay down a few guitar tracks together so i can jam with myself?

If you want easy recording, don't go with the POD.... makes some people go crazy(I never really understood why, but too each their own)

• Members

I prefer the sound of the Tonelab, but both the Pod XT and the Tonelab are great for headphone jamming and silent recording.

+1 I currently have a POD 2.0, but have also used an XT and a Tonelab. They are all very good for headphone practice. I'd check out the features and interface and decide which you like best.

Wes

• Members

haha. sounds good. I originally wanted a really small amp, like a zvex nano, but i ruled that out. Then i was going for a tiny terror with a 112, playing it really quietly, but i think it will still drive people nuts.

Im leaning more towards the tonelab, how does the computer interface compare to the POD? Ill still have the real amps at my friends apartment, i just need something to get me going through the every day woodsheding.

Does the tonelab come with basic recording interface? I like to record riffs for future refrence, to see what i need to improve, and try to work out harmonies with myself. Can the tonelab pretty much do all that?

• Members

A good cheap way to practice with headphones is using a Digitech Bad Monkey or Screamin Blues or whatever of that line and plug the headphones into the mixer output. $40 for the BM. $20 for the power supply. And whatever you spend on headphones. Btw, the $20 Sony's that are available everywhere sound pretty good.

The Boss Micro BR is good for headphones practice and recording, but that's $220 plus $20 for the power supply. Has effects and rhythms also.

• Members

Does the tonelab come with basic recording interface? I like to record riffs for future refrence, to see what i need to improve, and try to work out harmonies with myself. Can the tonelab pretty much do all that?

Yes. It comes with software, the USB cable. You can use any audio recording program though. All the modeling/effects editing is done on your computer, though - the TonePort must be powered and your computer must be on for it to do anything.

Archived