September New Gear Thread!

zoink

• Members

In my experience, the people who get bored easily are the ones who have gear lists like this: (OK - this is a little jab, but I'm also one of those people, so I guess it's a jab at me too - ha ha
:lol::lol:
)

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought one could find very many people with that much gear to extrapolate a trend.

In 30 years of synth playing I've only met one other person with that many synths, and he was definitely not the type to get bored easily.

Meanwhile, I've met a LOT of people who constantly buy synths and let them go in 6 months to a year without really getting to know them. I meet them all the time. Where do you think I bought most of my gear? lol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey MuzikB - there's no Nord Lead in your gear list. When are you going to get #5?

:lol:

:lol: I'm over it already and have embraced analog. I'm getting the sounds I want for my music using primarily Izotope's Iris, Karma FX Modular synth, and Tremor.

I sample my analog monophonics in Iris in order to play them polyphonically until a new polyphonic analog synth is made that is to my liking.

There will be no more Nord Leads until Clavia becomes a synthesizer company again and/or updates the Nord Lead 2 for the 21st centruy. Sheesh, analogs now even have USB connectivity and aftertouch.

• Members
actually bought in August, but first time had chance to take some pics today.

DSCN5952.jpg

I'm a pretty picky person, generally. I want my stuff to be unapologetically good sounding. with that in mind, and what I was after, my initial thoughts:

the plusses:

1) sounds like a HAMMOND!

2) real drawbars and good sounding leslie sim

3) compact - this thing is so much smaller footprint and only 15lbs vs. the XK-1 I used to own 4) tactile feel of the keybed.

the minuses:

1) as some others have mentioned, the extra voices are just so-so, but that's OK, I have them covered already with my primary board

2) I gotta get some velcro to hold this puppy down, so light.

3) only a few "rock" pre-sets, but I can and will make more (already got my Santana ones made and saved).

looking forward to gigging this in a few weeks.

DSCN5955.jpg

Is that the SK-1? You don't say, or show the model in the photos. If so, I've been playing one at a once-a-month jam session, and it's very nice. I really like the action. I haven't heard the Leslie sim, since the one I am playing is running through a real Leslie. 04.gif

I also don't have a clue what that Moog is in the first post, since that model isn't mentioned, either.

C'mon, people!!! :evil:

• Members
HTC-One-S-Final.jpg

My wife's iphone was stolen in July (on her birthday no less) and I gave her my 10 day old iphone4 cause I couldnt bear to see her so down especially on her bday (I got PLENTY of brownie points for that). However, I have been paying for a data plan and out of a phone since July so I finally broke down and bought a new phone.

I have to say, having owned two iphones already and really enjoying them, this HTC phone is has completely won me over.
:love:

Bonus: the HTC phone isn't being made with forced student labor.

• Members

After many failed attempts at assembling an actual band, I have come to the conclusion that anything worth doing is worth doing by oneself, or nearly so. In order to negate the need for the elusive (and nearly extinct) Tampa Bay area drummer that actually wants to be in a band doing weird stuff, as well as the nearly rare bassist, I bought one of these on Fleabay:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ52hx5r1NG4fpZ3vGfLuX

I actually wanted the XL-7 for its heavier sounding waveforms, so I also bought the ROM chip to go into the MP-7.

• Members

Bah! It arrived the other day and was the dreaded eBay nightmare.

:cry:

The MP chip had been replaced by an XROM chip (which does not seem to have any waveforms on it so it is probably toasted) and none of the preset patterns are present and nothing sounds. Also, some of the characters are garbled so I suspect a battery died at some point. I wish the guy would have at least played it once before listing. He probably bought it at a pawn shop and figured on a quick turnaround. Plus the guy has a no-return policy so I've opened a claim with Customer Support.

After many failed attempts at assembling an actual band, I have come to the conclusion that anything worth doing is worth doing by oneself, or nearly so. In order to negate the need for the elusive (and nearly extinct) Tampa Bay area drummer that actually wants to be in a band doing weird stuff, as well as the nearly rare bassist, I bought one of these on Fleabay:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ52hx5r1NG4fpZ3vGfLuX

I actually wanted the XL-7 for its heavier sounding waveforms, so I also bought the ROM chip to go into the MP-7.

• Members

:cry:
sorry, man. That sucks. Stories like that are exactly why I hesitate to buy stuff off Ebay. But I've also heard opposite stories about upstanding sellers getting ripped by shady buyers, which, again, makes me hesitate to sell stuff on Ebay.

tl;dr: Ebay makes me hesitate.

Then only buy and sell to me then. :)

I try to stick with the same people I've had good deals with.

• Members

549632_436904746347591_526444363_n_zpsb7

Yeah, I did that too. Spent the $20. It joins Animoog, Alchemy, GarageBand, SampleTank, SunRizer, & the Fairlight. This iPad thing just keeps getting better ...

I just bought this myself the other day, as well as Magellan. Both are great apps.

Archived