lolmicrokorg

• Members

I had a room mate who owned the EMX-1 and seem to remember it being very similar sounding to the R3. The manual said it had the MMT synth engine, which is what the Radias and R3 had. That was about four years ago though, so I can't say I really remember much about the features it had.

IIRC MMT is based on the same as you say, but in the EMX-1 the synth controls are cut down... It has more of the stuff that suits it being what it is and the valve really works ;-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You want to try living here where peeps try to sell gear at higher than street price when they have worn it out.... LOL

No thanks. I'll take my live music city stocked with overpaid yuppies who buy gear that is over their heads, never use it, and sell it at a loss, and bachelor hobbyists living 4 to an apartment who live hand to mouth and sell their gear to pay their electric bill.

It's like fishing during a salmon run.

• Members
Well, then, MicroKorg or Micron?

:confused:

(but srsly, four voices? That's why I've passed up good deals on the MS2K)

You need to sit down with one to realize the power of those 4 voices... Compared to my GAIA I am very conscious of only 8 voices on the MiniAK (micron equiv) but with the micro KORG it can sound so massive you can drift into a different style of sound.. If you don't like the sound that is a different matter... 4 voices does not limit it... :cool:

• Members

You want to try living here where peeps try to sell gear at higher than street price when they have worn it out.... LOL

What's "here"? I'm guessing not New York, since everybody over there uses the word "tube" instead of "valve".

• Members

If you don't like the sound that is a different matter... 4 voices does not limit it...
:cool:

I think they sound fine, and I don't remember ever taking a snark at anyone who uses one. But personally, I find four notes limiting unless a synth is purposed for lead or bass duties. Heck, in the 80's I was thrilled when I could finally afford an eight voice synth after being constrained to several six-bangers.

I won't even dis micro keys; I really don't find them too onerous after spending some time with a Melodica. :lol:

It's the three octaves I can't abide. That's just not acceptable in a poly synth. Yea verily I say that even four octaves is not enough. That's why I've passed up really good deals on JP-8000s.

But that's just me, everyone should suit themselves with whatever works for them. Maybe I'm this way because I started with piano & organ...

• Members

Portable + Runs on batteries + Decent sounds + Vocoder = GODDY.

Well put. I got the MicroKorg when it just came out for all of the reasons above and more, long before it was poorly popularized or maligned. A lot of folks criticized the silly genre labels, but they can be ignored. As for the LED display, I'm used to it from other gear like Nord Lead 2, SP-404, and DW-8000 - no problem.

The sounds can be pretty amazing. The matrix is clunky, but the computer editor is a snap. The bass output is crazy at times, so I used to use it to test out friends' new "killer" amps that they bragged about in their cars. I almost destroyed some speakers.

The vocoder was one of the first things I like about it. The formant hold is brilliant. I found how to rig the vocoder as a unique, hands-free realtime vocal processor. The Alesis Ion vocoder is much weaker but still useful.

It was the first thing I owned with an arpeggiator that had so many settings (my Emax II was close but not portable). The step settings were a nice bonus.

I also bought it as a portable MIDI controller for my laptop before I got the X-station. I adapted to the mini keys just fine. In fact, the extra octave in a small footprint came in handy. Vince Clarke used the Casio CZ-101 for years and he didn't mind the mini keys. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

I still use it on occasion, and I appreciate what it is good at providing.

• Members

Well put. I got the MicroKorg when it just came out for all of the reasons above and more, long before it was poorly popularized or maligned. A lot of folks criticized the silly genre labels, but they can be ignored. As for the LED display, I'm used to it from other gear like Nord Lead 2, SP-404, and DW-8000 - no problem.

The sounds can be pretty amazing. The matrix is clunky, but the computer editor is a snap. The bass output is crazy at times, so I used to use it to test out friends' new "killer" amps that they bragged about in their cars. I almost destroyed some speakers.

The vocoder was one of the first things I like about it. The formant hold is brilliant. I found how to rig the vocoder as a unique, hands-free realtime vocal processor. The Alesis Ion vocoder is much weaker but still useful.

It was the first thing I owned with an arpeggiator that had so many settings (my Emax II was close but not portable). The step settings were a nice bonus.

I also bought it as a portable MIDI controller for my laptop before I got the X-station. I adapted to the mini keys just fine. In fact, the extra octave in a small footprint came in handy. Vince Clarke used the Casio CZ-101 for years and he didn't mind the mini keys. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

I still use it on occasion, and I appreciate what it is good at providing.

2764885555_46b99cdc5d_z.jpg?zz=1

Seems he used them for multi voice midi sequencing in 1984.. Suspect he had bigger keys for general sequencing...

• Members

Thanks for that. It's a cool pic from long ago. That's an Acorn BBC computer he uses for sequencing (shown in video below). I've seen videos/pics of him using the SH-101 solo.

This isn't one of the videos, but it's interesting since it's a CZ-1000. The CZ-1000 was the same architecture as the CZ-101 with a larger case and full-size keys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQthcAK9kAg

• Members

Thanks for that. It's a cool pic from long ago. That's an Acorn BBC computer he uses for sequencing (shown in video below). I've seen videos/pics of him using the SH-101 solo.

This isn't one of the videos, but it's interesting since it's a CZ-1000. The CZ-1000 was the same architecture as the CZ-101 with a larger case and full-size keys.

I viewed that before posting as it seemed to confirm an understandable preference to normal keys...

I have not researched it, but a set of keys somewhere between the two extremes of mini and full sized, may be a better space saver as you may still be able to play properly... Small keys work but I doubt anyone would use them if they had access to bigger keys...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
  • Members

the Korg Microkorg shows that there is a strong demand for a sub-$500 VA that sounds great & is fairly simple to use. never had one but i would like to. its perceived maligned Hipster ubiquity i think it fairly recent & kinda nonsensical IMO.

also. i think a lot of people equate a Moog-ish analog-sounding VA e.g. Micron as somehow superior becuz of the recent trend in Analog synths but some people don't want that sound & the Microkorg is kinda like the opposite of that am i right?

• Members

I am not a fan of the mini keys, but it seems that many people just don't care or like/prefer them. Korg is innovating and making hardware that sells, which in the end is what matters for a healthy company.

FWIW I wish that Korg would focus a bit more on the middle to high high end, bring out a new Radius thing, and make a modern groovebox with synth and sampling capabilities that is based on modern technology and not something a decade old (or older).

• Members

the Korg Microkorg shows that there is a strong demand for a sub-$500 VA that sounds great & is fairly simple to use. never had one but i would like to. its perceived maligned Hipster ubiquity i think it fairly recent & kinda nonsensical IMO.

also. i think a lot of people equate a Moog-ish analog-sounding VA e.g. Micron as somehow superior becuz of the recent trend in Analog synths but some people don't want that sound & the Microkorg is kinda like the opposite of that am i right?

The Micron does do Moog sounds pretty well for a VA, and its got a lot of them in the presets. I like it for that. Funny, the Prophecy does too and its sort of the predecessor of the MicroKorg. The MK is well, Korg-y. I think its more bass-y and less "digital" sounding. Micron is def more versatile and powerful but programming is tedious unless you use a computer editor.

I did recreate my favorite string pad patch from the DW8000 on the MK and it did it pretty well. Definitely more sterile sounding, funny cuz the DW has digital oscillators.

Archived