Korg Krome

Gaul

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nobeatnik

View Post

That's pretty harsh. As I recall, Kronos users initially had a hard time finding a piano sound on that board that could cut through as well as the pianos in the Motif could. So just because the Kronos/Krome piano sound is a better emulation doesn't make it better in all cases.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Motif XF's pianos...if so,what of it?What's the point of that?The MOX's pianos are very impressive...in that they are vastly superior to that of the M50,but that's an entirely different discussion altogether.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by zoink

View Post

Point being, Krome has to my eyes the same tone generator and effects section as the M50. Most of Krome's 3.8 gb wave ROM is dedicated to the piano section, with 256 mb left over for everything else. That's not exactly chump change, but the 3.8 gb statistic can be a little misleading.

Krome looks to be an M50 with (much needed) better pianos, a larger screen, and a different look. No doubt it has some other improvements, but that seems to be the meat of it.

2.8GB are dedicated to the pianos,300MB for the drums....which leaves 700MB to the rest of the sound sets,which is pretty damn good,to my eyes.There are some additional effects,in contrast to the M50 as well.

Still...it's a mystery to me,just how much data exactly,is dedicated to the synth set....so it is possible that the synth portion of the Krome could be identical to that of the M50....hopefully not though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969

View Post

Personally,I would choose a Motif XS over a Kurzweil PC3LE.

They each have their pros and cons... I'd say the Kurz beats the XS in organs and EPs, for example. But in terms of new stuff, the PC3LE7 is a nice value... 76 keys and aftertouch for $1795 (or the 88 key version for $2195). Aftertouch being important to the OP, Yamaha can't really touch that (nor Korg nor Roland).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969

View Post

2.8GB are dedicated to the pianos,300MB for the drums....which leaves 700MB to the rest of the sound sets,which is pretty damn good,to my eyes.

From what I've read, I believe the breakdown is:

2.8 gb piano, 600 mb of EPs, about 150 mb drums and 256 mb for everything else. The M50 had 256 mb for everything. I understand that at least some of the Krome's 256 is different from the M50, which makes sense especially since that 256 included a certain amount of space for pianos and EPs that would not be the best use of that space in the Krome with its separate piano/EP allotment. Someone in another forum mentioned additional sounds in the mellotron and combo organ categories, I"m not sure what else may be new or different.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Re-Member

View Post

I'm feeling rather "meh" about this keyboard. Even though it has more added features than the M50, the M50 still looks cooler to me from a design prospective. Ignoring what's on the inside, the Krome just looks like yet another ordinary keyboard you'd see in a Sears electronics section. I felt the same way about the Kronos, even though the engine still has me intrigued. But to be honest, I couldn't care less how great the new piano sounds are. I'm more of a synth guy and still like using just the classically cheesy M1 piano when it's called for. If they made an alternative version that looked like the M50 and had the AL-1, MOD-7, MS-20EX & PolysixEX engines instead of the new piano and drum engines, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.

I have to admit,the Kronos-nor the Krome,are not the sexist looking boards I've ever seen,but they are not ugly either.By the way,from a marketing standpoint,the VA engines you mentioned cost next to nothing PC-software-wise,but you put all of that into a hardware keyboard-the price sky-rockets and without any bread & butter sounds,it's not likely to be a hot commodity on the gear market...considering all of the VA synths that are out there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

They each have their pros and cons... I'd say the Kurz beats the XS in organs and EPs, for example. But in terms of new stuff, the PC3LE7 is a nice value... 76 keys and aftertouch for $1795 (or the 88 key version for $2195). Aftertouch being important to the OP, Yamaha can't really touch that (nor Korg nor Roland).

I'm aware of Kurzweil's advantages with organs,EP's synths..etc.,...but the prospective buyer who wants to create polished songs without the use of a computer,is pretty well f**ked in that respect and that was the heart of that particular discussion.

Kurzweil frustrates the living hell out of me,because they concoct the most amazing,inspiring and versatile synth engine,have retro compatibility and some impressive effects as well,but with a display screen and sequencer that is 15 years behind the times.

What's worse,is that Kurzweil offers no VST plug-in support and the company is just too small,under-financed and too short-staffed to be productive and innovative enough to compete with companies like Korg.

Kurzweil doesn't even offer their sounds in a software package and in my opinion,Kurzweil has no business creating anything other than instruments for live use,because they have just lagged WAY too behind their competition,in terms of catering to the studio musician.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd

View Post

FYI, as of this writing the Chrome is in stock at Sweetwater. I called nearby Guitar Center and Sam Ash stores, but none had arrived yet. The guy at GC told me that they had Chromes en route, but couldn't tell me when they might arrive.

Damn...that was quick!I remember reading that they weren't due until the 24th.I really need to demo a Krome beforehand,but if I had the cash at the ready,I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one from them.

Thanks for the info.

• Members

Well... Anyone tried the keys yet.. As my electron microscope confirms plastic hinges I am now, alarmingly, interested in the 88 key which may be a more sane construction. I don't like the Roland 88 key action on their top of the line stuff as a non Piano player it's too heavy and stictiony.... I wanted a synth action on the Krome, but they may be too poorly done... Any views yet?

edit.. found this:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbt...g%20Krome.html

;-)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RetroVintageOld

View Post

Everything in that vid except ORGANS??? The organs are a dealbreaker/maker for me and none of the official or otherwise vids show them.

Same as the M50 organs if you can find a video of those.

• Members

The organs (in the French vid, as mentioned by Bernard) sound ok to me. I agree with Jeff though - if you are a serious Hammond nut, this ain't the 'board for you. Hammond players seem to be picky about where the drawbars are and that kind of stuff.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by girevik

View Post

I agree with Jeff though - if you are a serious Hammond nut, this ain't the 'board for you. Hammond players seem to be picky about where the drawbars are and that kind of stuff.

Considering that we're talking about a rompler, I would think that control-surface issues are the last thing on the mind of any organ aficionado considering a Krome.

While Korg's Leslie simulation sounds pretty good, there's only so much you can do when you're working with basic samples, rather than modeling (or true-blue tonewheels, for that matter).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Klaus

View Post

Considering that we're talking about a rompler, I would think that control-surface issues are the last thing on the mind of any organ aficionado considering a Krome.

While Korg's Leslie simulation sounds pretty good, there's only so much you can do when you're working with basic samples, rather than modeling (or true-blue tonewheels, for that matter).

By "and that kind of stuff" I was referring to stuff other than the control surface - eg. sonic behavior, tonal qualities, etc.

However, I have seen many complaints from organ-heads about drawbars on various models, like the Korg CX3's being on the wrong side of the board, Electro's bars not being real drawbars but instead button+LED, etc. Control surface is quite important to these people, based on what I've read from them.

Really though, any Hammond nut won't be looking at a rompler in the first place - they'd be looking more at the likes of Nord Electro, Hammond XK series, etc.

Archived