Korg Krome

Gaul

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
nice find!
well doen on that...great demo guy too...here was me thinking the korg krome was just a piano thing!

Looks like Luke has defected from Roland UK... IIRC he was the guy doing recent GAIA, Jupiter80 and Junoxx Demos....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

''aftertouch is not supported''

Sadly, yes, I've corrected that post. There was a google translation of a Japanese page that seemed to imply there might have been some kind of AT implementation, oh well. That makes this quite a bit less interesting to me. I see it as basically an M50 with better piano and EP sounds... which is not a bad thing, by any means, but not as enticing as I'd hoped. Though unlike the M50, the 88 key Krome is at least weight-competitive with the MOX, and, as I mentioned, I like the panel layout.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme

View Post

slightly lighter than m50 (if i'm not wrong)

The 88 is much lighter, the other models are heavier. That's why I think the 88 is the most interesting model in the lineup. The 61 and 73 don't seem to offer much over the older M50 except better piano and EP, and if that's your concern, you probably want the weighted action anyway.

• Members
nice find!
well doen on that...great demo guy too...here was me thinking the korg krome was just a piano thing!
Oh and that's a strength over the recent Jup80/50/Integra. It's not presets plus VA tweaks and some tweaks on sound, its a full on synth with double filters and you can hear the dynamics in that demo Luke pulled out...

Unfortunately KORG seem to rely on wooing peeps with ''big expensive'' Piano well sampled demo's... They really NEED to do more of what Luke did as that side and the stuff he did not do is as important...

I suspect the keybed on this will be like the M50 plastic hinge to reach the price point... but even so it will probably sell well. I just hope the KORG curse has lifted... They were so unlucky with the data wheel issue on the KRONOS... if they had held that stock in a warehouse for a few months the gunk would have been dry enough for those wheels to stay put me thinks...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon

View Post

no aftertouch on the board in that price range

I bemoan the absence of AT as well, but I haven't seen confirmation of the pricing yet... I would assume that, whatever these sell for, Yamaha and Roland aren't offering AT at the same price either. I wish they would put AT on their midrange boards, even if they had to up them $100 or whatever.

• Members

Since the number of waveforms completely corresponds to that in M50, does it mean that it features the very same waveforms? In that case, it is just recycled M50 with extra pieces made of Piano particles, bigger screen and full polyphony of 120 instead of 80.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I just hope the KORG curse has lifted... They were so unlucky with the data wheel issue on the KRONOS... if they had held that stock in a warehouse for a few months the gunk would have been dry enough for those wheels to stay put me thinks...
The jog wheel was the least of the Kronos issues!! What about keybed issues with the 73/88? What about the numerous OS bugs? In fairness to Korg they reacted quickly to the jog wheel and eventually to the keybed (initially stating the problem affected less than 1% of sales, but then offered FOC keybed replacements...). OS bugs remain as does a major Karma one - and then the Editor situation was farcical. Everyone's expecting the v2 but no-one knows if it will be worth the wait. Then there's the whole Kronos-X thing just to confuse matters (possibly a ploy to prevent new buyers being put of by the well known issues)...

I'm sure if Korg could re-release the Kronos, they would do it much better now.

As to the AT topic - isn't this just a way the manufacturers differentiate productline placing in the market? Most cars don't have electric seats - but you can have them if you pay more. Isn't that just what's happening here? You can't have every feature built into every level of productline from entry to flagship - there would be no flagship in that case!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme View Post
oh, 1/4" at the back. i take that face palm back

I will let you decide but it is only one according to this. I suspect at the front:

''Headphone Output:

3.5mmStereo phone jack

Output Impedance: 33, Maximum level: 60 + 60[mW] (In case of 33 Loaded)''

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard

View Post

Oh and that's a strength over the recent Jup80/50/Integra. It's not presets plus VA tweaks and some tweaks on sound, its a full on synth.

The Jupiter is a full-on synth as well. The fact that people don't know that reflects the fact that many Jupiter demos/videos are as bad as many of Korg's. ;-)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
{censored}ing idiots, again no aftertouch on the board in that price range. What a failure. It is really not expensive to add AT, in fact I bet it wouldn't raise the end price least bit if they had it in there. There's no facepalm big enough.
Seriously right?

I have a Roland AX7 keytar and an Axiom - both of which have aftertouch. WTF Korg?

• Members

Forgive me, but apart from the nicer touch screen and a new piano sound, is there really anything that makes this worth ditching my M50?? It's not looking worth the upgrade so far, especially if they haven't improved the keybed. I also happen to think it looks fugly as sin.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

The Jupiter is a full-on synth as well. The fact that people don't know that reflects the fact that many Jupiter demos/videos are as bad as many of Korg's. ;-)

Roland need to do more to win hard core synth'rs as it is still a basic synth in some ways... Depends on what you want... It is deep on wave chioce in the VA section and they have added some bits that would have been nice on GAIA, but are needed in that interface... If you need its sound go for it...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent View Post
I have a Roland AX7 keytar and an Axiom - both of which have aftertouch.
Of course, those don't have any sounds in them. It's always something. ;-)

I think they are going to far in cost-cutting, though. The M50 (no aftertouch) replaced the TR (which had aftertouch). As I recall, the M50 was also cheaper, despite the addition of a touchscreen, so you can see where the dollars went. But it is a shame that lightweight performance boards are so often so scaled down. The TR also had assignable outs and sockets for sample RAM. The M50 would have been better with all those things the TR had, even if it meant adding a couple of hundred dollars to the price. Korg's argument probably would have been that you should buy an M3, but those things weigh a ton and so are not nearly as gig friendly.

• Members
just for clarity this isn't a synth is it?
it's a rompler right?
Rompler waves only but KORG have a bloody good synth structure behind them... Yamaha will tell you their Motifs ARE VA's, and in that sense so could Korg..

In both cases these recent synths fall under ROMpler type regardless of where the waves sit, if they stream etc... lets not worry about that...

If your not aware look into Korgs history... that have very detailed synth structure.. e.g. you can have two filters in series...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nismology

View Post

Forgive me, but apart from the nicer touch screen and a new piano sound, is there really anything that makes this worth ditching my M50?? It's not looking worth the upgrade so far, especially if they haven't improved the keybed. I also happen to think it looks fugly as sin.

From what I can see so far, no, it's not enough of a difference to bother upgrading from an M50, unless you really want the improved piano/EP sounds. But then, I don't think the primary market for this board is people who already own an M50.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
Of course, those don't have any sounds in them. It's always something. ;-)

I think they are going to far in cost-cutting, though. The M50 (no aftertouch) replaced the TR (which had aftertouch). As I recall, the M50 was also cheaper, despite the addition of a touchscreen, so you can see where the dollars went. But it is a shame that lightweight performance boards are so often so scaled down. The TR also had assignable outs and sockets for sample RAM. The M50 would have been better with all those things the TR had, even if it meant adding a couple of hundred dollars to the price. Korg's argument probably would have been that you should buy an M3, but those things weigh a ton and so are not nearly as gig friendly.
Sadly it also comes down to Marketing/Product management. They want to position it below other products so upgraders feel the increased cost worthwhile...

Many other reasons also...

I suspect a lot of synths are purchased these days as a compromise as so many features have been wiped out but the buyer has no other choice left in the Market at a given price point...

Weight saving on certain items lost cannot be denied... It's a big game really wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
From what I can see so far, no, it's not enough of a difference to bother upgrading from an M50, unless you really want the improved piano/EP sounds. But then, I don't think the primary market for this board is people who already own an M50.
It looks to be made for people who know they probably wouldn't use the advanced features and synthesis engines of the Kronos and just want the palette of sounds, and gigging musicians who want something lightweight that sounds good.

It makes good business sense, though on another level it's not very inspiring.

As for the MicroKorg, I like the black key / metallic red panel color scheme. It's too bad they didn't graft a new Electribe onto the back of it.

Advanced VA + Groove Drum Machine + 37 keys + software editor + cool color scheme = MicroTribe.

• Members

It looks to be made for people who know they probably wouldn't use the advanced features and synthesis engines of the Kronos and just want the palette of sounds, and gigging musicians who want something lightweight that sounds good

Sounds like you mean someone like myself. Well, I want even less. I really want a stage piano with Korg's best sounds. But I have no need for a touch screen, sequencer, drum machines or recording. A multitimbral SV1 with better organs would have been just the ticket for me.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Nismology View Post
Do you use the cord assign buttons?

They seem to have gone...

Archived