Gaul

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianRock

View Post

It's a good demo if it accurately portrays that the choir kinda sucks smile.gif

The best demos show the good as well as the bad.

Hah. The comparison isn't scientific or even consistent and tends to support my view that it's a piano + cheese assortment - not that I couldn't make use of its capabilities. It's just over priced.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear

View Post

Hah. The comparison isn't scientific or even consistent and tends to support my view that it's a piano + cheese assortment - not that I couldn't make use of its capabilities. It's just over priced.

I don't know - $999/$1199/$1599 kinda hits the sweet spot. The 88 looks nice, but is too long for my backseat, at 57+ inches.

• Members

View Post

Well, then you have to tell me what is out there in that price range that blows it out of the water? Juno-Gi? rolleyes.gif

Could/couldn't care less. The piano/organ sounds would be fine but the playability of the grand and Hammond might be a source of frustration as would the GM sets. What would you pay for frustration?

• Members

View Post

Have you played it?

Don't need to. The EPs have OD and compression response similar to guitar - joy.. The pianos wont have half pedal sustain let alone midi scaled damper response and neither will they have polyphonic release vel. response. I think I invented the latter two. lol Why poly release response? Same reason as the half pedal; playable nuance via harmonics and decay dynamics. Understand I'm no kind of pianist but as with accomplished performers, subtleties like those go a long, indispensable way.

The organs I was thinking no drawbars but that's incorrect I think and in that regard might be enough to keep me amused.

So that's the stage piano part. 1600 dolers.

No way.

• Members

View Post

Have you played it?

View Post

Don't need to.

View Post

Just as I thought. You're just another "genius" who comes on the internet to dump on stuff you know nothing about.

... AND THE ACTUAL INTERCHANGE ...

View Post

Have you played it?

View Post

Don't need to. The EPs have OD and compression response similar to guitar - joy.. The pianos wont have half pedal sustain let alone midi scaled damper response and neither will they have polyphonic release vel. response. I think I invented the latter two. lol Why poly release response? Same reason as the half pedal; playable nuance via harmonics and decay dynamics. Understand I'm no kind of pianist but as with accomplished performers, subtleties like those go a long, indispensable way.

The organs I was thinking no drawbars but that's incorrect I think and in that regard might be enough to keep me amused.

So that's the stage piano part. 1600 dolers.

No way.

View Post

Just as I thought. You're just another "genius" who comes on the internet to dump on stuff you know nothing about.

See how intelligent and informative that plays without your cheap airhead move? yuk yuk ...

• Members

No, that goes even further back to your earlier comment that it was overpriced.

You said you didn't even care what else is in that price range.

Then in your text that you just quoted you complained about polyphonic release velocity response. In this price range???? You've got to be kidding me.

Also, it is NOT a stage piano. It's a workstation. facepalm.gif

• Members

View Post

See how intelligent and informative that plays without your cheap airhead move? yuk yuk ...

So you need "half pedal sustain...midi scaled damper response...polyphonic release vel. response." What $1600 piano does have these things? And does that piano have the 88-note loopless sampling that the Krome has? $1600 is not a high priced piano, and that usually means, if you get something, you give something. So which feature are really most important? Personally, I don't care which ones it has or lacks, if I simply like playing it. I'm not saying the Krome is great, I don't know... I haven't played one. But I've played some pianos that I thought sounded good and some that I thought sounded bad, and I doubt they fell into one category or the other based simply on whether they had those three features you mentioned.

This reminds me about how some people are hung up on physical specs like graded action and triple sensor. If you use that criteria, you'll pick a Casio PX-130 over a Yamaha CP-1. But I doubt anyone actually thinks that $500 Casio sounds or feels better than that $5000 Yamaha. There's no substitute for trying these things for yourself. Saying you "don't need to play it" because it lacks some technical features you want prompts a comment like ChristianRock's... and I think justifiably so.

Similarly, if you call something over-priced, as you did, it is logical to ask what you think offers better value for the money, or comparable features/sounds for less, but you dodged that one.

So no, I'm afraid I can't say that I have found your posts so intelligent or informative even in full context. (And the Krome does not have drawbars,)

• Members

View Post

No, that goes even further back to your earlier comment that it was overpriced.

You said you didn't even care what else is in that price range.

Then in your text that you just quoted you complained about polyphonic release velocity response. In this price range???? You've got to be kidding me.

Also, it is NOT a stage piano. It's a workstation. facepalm.gif

Interesting run but responding to your ego doesn't make for much discussion. For instance you seem to have invented the requirement for not just comparable machines, but they must blow Krome out the water. I just said it was overpriced. And no I don't care about similar machines. They would be comparably overpriced. Poly release response (lack of it) is simply one reason for frustration with that otherwise "pro" Bosendorfer sample set. And no it's not a common feature but it's omitted because the general market is professionals that need to crank out facade-al spots for the commercial world and not for any prohibitive cost concerns.

And yes it has generous and I will assume more than adequate WS functions but with the cheese assortment for a palette - which I believe the user is locked into, it's only _just_ a WS. And besides, they included a keyboard rendering it a musical instrument and then touted the Bosey sample set and rudely omitted full pianistic implementation.

So the piano falls short, the palette falls short; it occurs to me also that they could sell this thing sans GM and just give you empty ram for your musical requirements thereby allowing for advanced use.

Doesn't add up to much gas.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

So you need "half pedal sustain...midi scaled damper response...polyphonic release vel. response." What $1600 piano does have these things? And does that piano have the 88-note loopless sampling that the Krome has? $1600 is not a high priced piano, and that usually means, if you get something, you give something. So which feature are really most important? Personally, I don't care which ones it has or lacks, if I simply like playing it. I'm not saying the Krome is great, I don't know... I haven't played one. But I've played some pianos that I thought sounded good and some that I thought sounded bad, and I doubt they fell into one category or the other based simply on whether they had those three features you mentioned.

This reminds me about how some people are hung up on physical specs like graded action and triple sensor. If you use that criteria, you'll pick a Casio PX-130 over a Yamaha CP-1. But I doubt anyone actually thinks that $500 Casio sounds or feels better than that $5000 Yamaha. There's no substitute for trying these things for yourself. Saying you "don't need to play it" because it lacks some technical features you want prompts a comment like ChristianRock's... and I think justifiably so.

Similarly, if you call something over-priced, as you did, it is logical to ask what you think offers better value for the money, or comparable features/sounds for less, but you dodged that one.

So no, I'm afraid I can't say that I have found your posts so intelligent or informative even in full context. (And the Krome does not have drawbars,)

I've already addressed some of this @ ChrisRock so some of these other points ...

Um, as to the nature of the interchange, I already explained (as if that wasn't evident from the original content) why playing it was not relevant to my opinion.

Tech specs concern? Nah. Most of key tech has been amply sorted out for years.

Intellectual content? Oh absolutely. The ability of a virtual instrument to faithfully portray its

actual counterpart should be concern one. I'm certain fine musicians will want to play this thing too or at the general least long for a true playing acoustic grand/EP/hammond tour de force.

And as to the drawbars, I assumed they'd be assignable to *something* on the panel.

And I do like the EPs and the key bass n drums possibilities. Rong price is all.

• Members

It is NOT a Bosendorfer sample, 1001gear.

But, keep talking about what you don't know. I won't keep you. I won't even comment on the rest, as it seems like you're just going around in circles. People who actually know what this board is for can make an educated decision based on its features (nice Hamburg Steinway unlooped piano, awesome hardware sequencer, etc) and lack thereof (like aftertouch or sampling which it doesn't have). I'm sure it's not the board for everyone (it's not for me at the moment) but not for the reasons you are pointing out, which are just ignorant comments that will just confuse people if they go unchallenged. Cheers.

• Members

View Post

I already explained (as if that wasn't evident from the original content) why playing it was not relevant to my opinion.

Yes you did. I just thought it was not a very sensible explanation. ;-) Again, it's like saying "I don't have to play a CP1 to know it sucks, because I know it doesn't have graded action or three sensors." But you know, once you play it, you'd probably discover that it doesn't suck, and is, in fact, better than some other pianos that do have those features. I just don't think it makes sense to judge a musical instrument based on a spec sheet of which technical features it has and hasn't implemented. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

View Post

I just said it was overpriced. And no I don't care about similar machines. They would be comparably overpriced.

But "overpriced" is a relative term. To say something is overpriced, you're suggesting that you can either (a) get comparable functionality for less money, or (b) get better functionality for the same money. That's what being overpriced means. If those things aren't true, than what would be the rationale for calling it overpriced in the first place? You can call it "junk at any price," that's fine. But by saying it's *over* priced, you're saying that there is a price where it would be a competitive choice, but that there are better choices at the current asking price, or there are comparably good products available at a lower price. Since you haven't come up with any, your assertion is naturally questionable.

View Post

as to the drawbars, I assumed they'd be assignable to *something* on the panel

AFAIK, there is no drawbar organ implementation in the unit at all. Just the typical kind of rompler organ, i.e. organ presets with some limited editing possibilities.

• Members

View Post

It's NOT a Bosey? eek.gif What a useless pos / icon_lol.gif Ok I forgotted Steinway is Cherman too. facepalm.gif

While were still talking, people who want the thing will fork over regardless of anybody's views let alone what I say.

Bosendorfer is Austrian.

@AnotherScott: you can say things in a much nicer way that I can icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Yes you did. I just thought it was not a very sensible explanation. ;-) Again, it's like saying "I don't have to play a CP1 to know it sucks, because I know it doesn't have graded action or three sensors." But you know, once you play it, you'd probably discover that it doesn't suck, and is, in fact, better than some other pianos that do have those features. I just don't think it makes sense to judge a musical instrument based on a spec sheet of which technical features it has and hasn't implemented. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Merely my motivations or lack thereof. Expressive detail is important to me. I have small rusty hands. The more I can milk from "playable" stuff the better. Why I like the EPs. big joy factor with just the velocity. As to playing the thing, I have an EMU Proformance from the stone age and my trusty PF 80 and a grand or two on a Yamaha

something or another - I think I get the idea. The sound will be awesomer maybe.

View Post

But "overpriced" is a relative term. To say something is overpriced, you're suggesting that you can either (a) get comparable functionality for less money, or (b) get better functionality for the same money. That's what being overpriced means. If those things aren't true, than what would be the rationale for calling it overpriced in the first place? You can call it "junk at any price," that's fine. But by saying it's *over* priced, you're saying that there is a price where it would be a competitive choice, but that there are better choices at the current asking price, or there are comparably good products available at a lower price. Since you haven't come up with any, your assertion is naturally questionable.

Semantics. The whole pop MI field is overpriced and fixed that way. Keys are 2,000 dollars so guitars are 2000 dollars and drums went right along at 2000 dollars. The ****'s expensive. As for the genre, there is none. Casio? Pfft - although their price is closer to good value. Krome is simply an entry point to Korg's upgrade algorithm.

View Post

AFAIK, there is no drawbar organ implementation in the unit at all. Just the typical kind of rompler organ, i.e. organ presets with some limited editing possibilities.

Not a problem with me although that's a technical minus lol.

View Post

Bosendorfer is Austrian.

What? Next you'll be saying Bavaria is a separate country too!11!

• Members

View Post

The whole pop MI field is overpriced and fixed that way. Keys are 2,000 dollars so guitars are 2000 dollars and drums went right along at 2000 dollars. The ****'s expensive.

Boy, to me, keys are cheap these days! I remember when a mellotron was $3500. An ARP string ensemble was over a grand, for, essentially, one sound. Or how about thousands for a Yamaha CP80 for piano? And these were 1970s and 1980s dollars. Or think about even the early sample based machines, Emulators and the like, or the revolutionary M1, with all of 16 notes of polyphony and 4 megabytes of samples. A Krome for $1600 looks cheap! Really, in some ways, even compared to what you could get just a few years ago. And you know, if you don't need everything a Krome has, Korg has cheaper options for you... I've gotten nice use out of my MicroKorg and Microstation, they go for under $400 a piece. In keyboards, I don't think we've ever gotten as much for our money as we do now.

• Members

Well used to be Fairlight and Synclavier _ was _ the _ game _ but tech has improved itself in excess of human relevance. They can essentially photoshop new tech. So yes the price is way down. Logically it should continue dropping. I think we can assume that'll never happen and one of the things preventing that is lateral progression instead of evolution; slightly more memory/faster/enhanced compatibility/ blah blah... it's all in there. 2k is still 2k - and sadly that aint even true. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

I happened to wander thru my local GC yesterday - and got to play the Krome. Nice sound engine ... reasonably intuitive interface.

Unfortunately it just didn't grab me. I couldn't seem to make a connection with the feel of the keys. Too light, too "plastic-y" for my tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived