Why isnt there more talk about Budda amplification???

Meatbeard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I think it's because they are a little spendy and are low to mid gain amps and really have to be cranked up some to sound good. I think they are great amps but they aren't for everyone me included.

• Members

They are indeed great amps - I plan on buying a SD30 or SD45 sometime in the future, because I have a feeling that it is the tone that I need for my style, but I can't justify that kind of outlay for an amp until I have my college debt paid down, which will be 3-4 years at the very least.

• Members

Diezel probably has twice the components. Better tone. And is also, way overpriced.

Better tone for what? Maybe for high gain, but for mid gain stuff, I'll take the Budda any day of the week, even if they were both the same price.

Tone is subjective, sir Fyn. :thu:

• Members

Better tone for what? Maybe for high gain, but for mid gain stuff, I'll take the Budda any day of the week, even if they were both the same price.

Tone is subjective, sir Fyn.
:thu:

I almost made that same post.

• Members

Tone is subjective, sir Fyn.
:thu:

It is subjective. And IMO Buddah does everything "safe" midgain there is no "voice" or character. It is way too smooth/creamy. It has no attitude at all. I want a neck pickup to sound like a neck pickup and a with the compression of the Buddah it renders a lot of the guitar/wood/pickup combos null. It reminds me of an overly compressed sound. Really "nice" tone. But who wants that? It is dull as dishwater. It's a great amp if you want to play elevator music :-) or background music at a resteraunt where there is no dancing etc.

The Budah is not the kind of amp you can crank for a solo, then turn down the guitar volume for a nice warm clean jazz sound. Mess with the vol on the guitar and it sounds like you have turned the tone pots to zero.

I know I have a lot of thrash clips, but my other band was a mellow 70's style pop/rock band and I am not all gainz.

• Members

I don't think that you've sat down with a Budda enough if that's your conclusion. I was playing a rented SD30 at band rehearsals for about 3 weeks, and it sounded great - it was like an AC30, but with a bit more gain and more useable treble.

They are definitely a dark amp, but I've found them to be more useable than most Bogners for mid-gain, despite both being "darker" voiced.

They are definitely a somewhat compressed sounding amp, and I think that that is why I like the feel. I wouldn't refer to them as "safe" amps - they definitely have their own feel, as does VHT and Diezel, and all 3 have their place in certain tones.

• Members

I do like the solo tone it gives you. On the right guitar you can get a Santana sound without the annoying Santata shrillness.

The clean is too dark. It is more a glowing warm rather than a shimmering clean. Again, my ref to a background band springs to mind because the clean does not grab your attention.

After sitting down with one for a while, I stood up thinking "I could not use this". It is too limited even for studio use.

• Members

Because it is VASTLY overpriced for nice tone.

Budda's are definitely not overpriced. They did raise their prices a while ago but they've come back down. Budda's can be had used for great prices. There are plenty of other boutique amps just as or more expensive than Budda.

• Members

Budda's are definitely not overpriced. They did raise their prices a while ago but they've come back down. Budda's can be had used for great prices. There are plenty of other boutique amps just as or more expensive than Budda.

Budda's are definitely not overpriced?

How can you say that? Take the superdrive. $2000 for a 2 channel, 2 power tubed amp with shared vol? What does it have? 5 knobs?

That is a LOT of money for a nice transformer and 2 sounds!

• Members

No metal??? hehehehheeh.

You just have to tweak, they are great.

Responsive as no amp i have played, smooth , yes, but with attitude.

Lol...Tweak??? Tweak what? They have a quater of the knobs/options of most amps at that price.

• Members

Budda's are definitely not overpriced?

How can you say that? Take the superdrive. $2000 for a 2 channel, 2 power tubed amp with shared vol? What does it have? 5 knobs?

That is a LOT of money for a nice transformer and 2 sounds!

More knobs/channels =/= more tone.

Have you been duped into the thinking that a master of all trades amp is far superior to something that does a few GREAT tones?

More wattage doesn't equal more tone, either. The SD18 is loud, the SD30 is loud, the SD45 is loud, and the SD80 is the apocolypse. The differences are in the tone and features, not in the number of tubes.

• Members

I don't want you to feel bad, but i think u don't have a clue or played a Budda, if u have, which one did you play???

Okay. But I mentioned they sound compressed and smooth/dark. And weathered agreed with me (some people like that tone). So that should lead you to belive that I have a clue.

I also said they have good tone. I played a few. The superdrive was the one I played with the most.

And Buddah needs better marketing? You know they are in musicians freind etc etc? They are not exactly low key.

The argument here is that they are overpriced. Not that they suck etc.

You are just defending your amp which is fine, it is a good amp.

• Members

Lol...Tweak??? Tweak what? They have a quater of the knobs/options of most amps at that price.

So, by your logic, the more knobs, switches and options an amp has is what makes it better and therefore more expensive? Hmmm,...well if that's the case than the Road King should cost like $10,000 and sound better than amp other amp on the planet.

• Members

More knobs/channels =/= more tone.

Have you been duped into the thinking that a master of all trades amp is far superior to something that does a few GREAT tones?

More wattage doesn't equal more tone, either. The SD18 is loud, the SD30 is loud, the SD45 is loud, and the SD80 is the apocolypse. The differences are in the tone and features, not in the number of tubes.

My point: There are hardly any components to BUY to manufacture it. So it should not cost as much. The point I made was cost.

Archived