Venom price drop!

DJ RAZZ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We all have our priorities. smile.gif

I like my Virus TI, but sometimes I want to tinker with something simpler. The Venom presets are a good launching point for new patches, and this little guy has a lot of sounds that are more "modern" than my virus. Of course I could do them on my Virus, but I'm lazy at times.

Does anyone know if Vyzor (the VST version of the patch editor) is coming out soon? The Vyzor website hasn't been updated in a while.

• Members

@gus
i don't know if you have the opportunity to pass on user requests but 2 things that would make the venom even more awesome would be if it could load user wave forms and a vst/au editor. i'm not sure how much development is continuing on the venom but those 2 features would be amazing.

a work around in logic would be making an environment layer with a mock venom vyzor interface. the cc's can be laid out for tweaking and automation that way just with a slightly less aesthetically pleasing gui. i used something similar with my virus c

can you automate the cc's directly from a daw or does the daw need to connect to the vyzor editor then to the venom ? (*edit: over usb)

on the one hand i've seen the amazing touchOSC venom demo. then i read somewhere if you wanted to use something like a behringer bcr2000 you had to connect it to the vyzor editor then the venom, as the venom midi parameters couldn't be edited directly

• Members

....aaaaaaand they're gone. Sweetwater suggests you other options now when you enter venom in the search: Korg Microstation and Roland Lucina facepalm.gif and of course, the MicroKorg thumb.gif

Like Iamthesky, I didn't find use for one, so I didn't jump at the offer. Yeah it's 199 but I also paid 199 for Komplete 8 (cross-grade).

I'm trying to gather up some moneys to get VSTs that I want like the Valhalla reverbs and The Glue, so cash is a bit short to jump on impulse buys... but I really hope M-Audio continues in the synth market and comes up with a replacement that can actually be programmed from the synth itself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Suilebhain View Post
After listening to the Ray Brunelle patches I decided to join the club and ordered mine through Amazon.
That was another nudge for me in that direction as well. I like some of the unusual factory presets to start with, but he made a nice variety of typical presets to do more traditional sounds.

Since I'm used to the matrix style on my Evolver module, the limited number of knobs isn't a problem for me. Many other synths I own are completely programmable from the panel, but they are a real bitch and need another interface, so I welcome the simple, clean Vyzex computer editor approach . I don't need to lug my laptop everywhere since the basic controls are enough to tweak my patches at will after they were made at home.

• Members

I also found the software editor easy to use, since I keep the Venom at my office where I use it with my MacBook Pro. It also does a decent job as a controller for Maschine and Reason, and the audio interface, though nothing fancy, works just fine.

Probably my favorite physical feature of the Venom is that it has dedicated gain control knobs for EVERY amplitude level (mic gain, master volume, synth volume, etc.).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by burster View Post
I also think the use a PC editor is a great choice and personally hate trying to edit synths of this depth on small displays.
It's all fun and games till they're no longer supported and the OS has moved on.

But at this price - who can complain? You'd get your money's worth out of it long before that time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DJ RAZZ View Post

... Really good deal but is it worth buying a synth that one feels luke warm about, even if the price is amazing? What do you guys think?

Like KBW says, it probably depends on what else you've got.
It'd be a great deal for someone's first synth, for someone who has considered getting a hardware synth but doesn't want to make a big investment, for someone who just wants to add an extra flavor to their setup, or for someone who just can't pass up a good deal (been there - done that icon_lol.gif).

• Members

Well it's true. The Virus TI has been out for a while, so the included presets are more dated (trance/techno, etc) other than the patches I have made for it. The Virus is one of my favorites, but since I'm lazy I often like to start making new patches from presets and tweak the hell out of them, and I'm not as inspired with it as I used to be. I've heard some interesting sounds on the Venom that could take me in different directions. The ultimate setup for inspiration would be a modular, but I don't have the space, money, or time.

So the Venom was made by one of the main guys behind the Andromeda, and that name usually creates a spontaneous orgasm for many on this site. The synth is built from samples (like my DW-8000, or JD-990), and the samples seem to be pretty good and quite different than some other building blocks that I have on other gear. Your mileage may vary...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Guys, don't worry if the deals are gone, a bargin still exists:

reminds me of the time i demo'd it in the shop in nottingham...hated the layout of the synth and was universally crap/steril compared to a microkog or a blofeld!
of course your mileage may vary!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
reminds me of the time i demo'd it in the shop in nottingham...hated the layout of the synth and was universally crap/steril compared to a microkog or a blofeld!
of course your mileage may vary!
The headphone out (on the MINIAK which may use the same board) is a little crappy, but with headphones on a mixer using the main outs, it is clean. Up close and personal it is not dynamic as say the GAIA or as textured as say the micro KORG, but it covers so much ground and always sounds good in a mix. If I had a synth that could do everything it could do with a better interface (the ION had issues) then I would dump the MINIAK and get that other synth...

• Members

I got a Micron instead of an Ion through a friends amazing employee price long ago as a lark, and at first I wasn't too keen on the sound. Later it grew on me, and it has a nice performance section even though the drums are wimpy synth drums. The unorthodox layout isn't that hard to get used to. I find it's more fun to use than my MicroKorg. Having a "normal" display is so much better for patch name and parameter selection.

The Venom is funny in that way. From a distance it looks like a normal display, but immediately you see the quirky LED-style characters posing as a normal alpha-numeric display. At least it's not cryptic like the MicroKorg or typical LED-style synths of the 80s.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived