Crate Blue Voodoo review inside

Ron Burgandy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Ever played the BV300???

I played one and was pleasantly surprised...

I haven't tried it myself, but a friend who clearly dislikes fizzy amps tried it and was really, really impressed!

So I guess the 300 (Spartan? :p ) version is the real thing and the other models just fill the gap downwards...

• Members

the original crate BV's sound horrid. i have one, and have done quite a bit of modding, and is now fairly decent sounding. the general circuit design is sound, but the component choice is rather poor.

the crate BV150/300 are completely different sounding then even the redesigned BV120's. the preamp is near completely different sounding. the crate BV150 i tried a while back was a really good sounding amp. very thick but articulate, nice EQ controls as well. its a shame that crate shot themselves in the foot with the BV120's overall sound/reputation; the 150/300 really go un-noticed for being good amps.

I also thought it might be this way, OK design with crappy components :freak:

But many Crate products in general have a bad reputation, especially some cabs.... :eek:

• 12 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have a crate v30 single 12 combo class a .just really like this amp. I've had a couple of the other models similar and are just great amps .they sound good with distortion pedals or boards before them ,they sound good without it but my metal sound my hard rock sound distortion doesn't cut it as it shouldn't it's not made for it but when I add in the distortion it's like a vox on steroids .the v30 has eight el84s produce 30 watts is so much headroom it's outrageous .so I saw how much I like this and that I wanted a backup and an extra amp just to go stereo .I was looking to find one locally so not paying $100 for a amp I'm not sure of the mail it. found a blue voodoo 120  and I was already certain I wasn't going to like the distortion sound .right now I'm going to a spider v 240 for  my sounds I use the dimebag setting cowboys from heck. it's an outrageous sound that sounds great. I did a b the crate by itself there's no way I would have used this distortion for anything.I didn't play around that long enough to hate it .was a no-brainer I have a chance now to get a 60 watt .for 275.I paid to 250 for the 120  so I've got two heads for my on stage and a backup for my crate if I need .so  I'm pretty pleased. I'm still dailing in good sounds through my line 6 basic I'm using these heads is powerheads .going to work fine can use your head here guys .I don't even like the sound of Marshalls or mesa . I'm always going through some type of pedals before I go to these,Theyjust don't have enough gain.I've tried for the very first time volume boxes that you put it that you put in the effects loop ,acts like a power soak .I never heard of such a thing I'm used to paying all kinds of money for power soaks. so I have this in the effects loop of my v 30 and I'm able to crank it up even louder to get even more harmonics. I got to say I'm pretty pleased. I'm building my new studio I just received a tascam 32 track and I'm pretty motivated I got these amps I'm going to stick Mics everywhere and rock and roll baby

• 1 year later...
  • Members

IMG_20211017_094014740.thumb.jpg.9e86a8f0785732b7f1d530e5545d351f.jpgI don't know what everybody's talking about this is one of better older heads I have bought it has a ton of gain not fizzy whatsoever I'm using my charvel with Seymour duncans and it sounds amazing it has better gain than my brand new Marshall 100 watt HR DSL head

• 8 months later...