Crate Blue Voodoo review inside

Ron Burgandy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That Blue Doodoo just sounds horrible with anything.

Those Peavey cabs can sound beefy with the right amp and guitar.They're not 1/2 bad! I've played the older ones for about 6 years and the only problem I've had with it was the Sheffield speakers it came with.

The speakers swapped out with Celestion V30's sounded much better.

Those Sheffields have a scooped sound to it that I didn't dig too much.

+1 on the sheffields. i had some 1200 series sheffields and they sound like GT-75, but with a jagged/ragged midrange.

• Members

When I was 15, I really wanted a Crate Blue Voodoo head because Marty Friedman was using it. I went to Guitar Center to trade my JCM800 for the head. THANK GOD THAT NEVER HAPPENED. My head needed new tubes, and one of the channels wasn't working because of it (or something like that). They don't buy the gear unless it's working blah blah blah...

Oh my God did I luck out!

• Members

i love my SS crate. I chose my crate over alot of expensive heads like a roadster and several modified marshalls in the studio. i wouldnt mind trying a blue vodoo

Belive me, my 15watt Crate sounds better than the Blue Voodoo. So did the Marshall MG 80 watt I used to play.

This refers to the distortion channel as well, the clean actually sounds pretty good, minus the fact it is super super trebly and ear pierceing with the treble and presence completley off.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

A BV120 was also my first tube amp, many years ago when Friedman was endorsing it. The other guitarist in my band bought the same amp and they sounded very different somehow...mine was actually passable, and I had a show recorded where we actually sounded pretty good...god only knows how...I do remember you couldn't cut the mids on it. My buddy's always sounded far shittier than mine, and we both played pretty shitty guitars so it wasn't that - his sounded so buzzy and seemed to have only half the volume of mine. :confused: I always tried to convince him to take it back or take to a repairman.

Instead, our practice space was broken into and our amps plus a couple thousand dollars worth of other gear was stolen. I replaced it with a valvestate (vs100) which sounded much better, even with the solid state sterility.

• Members

A BV120 was also my first tube amp, many years ago when Friedman was endorsing it. The other guitarist in my band bought the same amp and they sounded very different somehow...mine was actually passable, and I had a show recorded where we actually sounded pretty good...god only knows how...I do remember you couldn't cut the mids on it. My buddy's always sounded far shittier than mine, and we both played pretty shitty guitars so it wasn't that - his sounded so buzzy and seemed to have only half the volume of mine.
:confused:
I always tried to convince him to take it back or take to a repairman.

Instead, our practice space was broken into and our amps plus a couple thousand dollars worth of other gear was stolen. I replaced it with a valvestate (vs100) which sounded much better, even with the solid state sterility.

The one I'm talking about was absurdly loud, but had the most awful distortion I've ever heard a tube amp produce. I tried it through a 1960 cab as well, and same results. Crap.

• Members

The consensus seems to be that both clips were bad the first go around, and 4 times as many people guessed correctly the second go around.

You suck at backing up your theories, but if you like it then who gives a damn? Cool for you, and the dude that owned the BV that I had in my possession likes it as well.

• Members

I played one of those way back when I was looking for a head for my first half stack and I wasn't impressed. It was pretty much bees in a can.

Crate is awful. Every single thing they produce = crap.

No, i have to disagree with this. Play the VC series and the Palamino's. If you say they sound like shit, you're just wrong. That's all.

• Members

The consensus seems to be that both clips were bad the first go around, and 4 times as many people guessed correctly the second go around.

You suck at backing up your theories, but if you like it then who gives a damn? Cool for you, and the dude that owned the BV that I had in my possession likes it as well.

4 times as many guessed correctly between the Bogner and Crate. So several couldn't tell the diff. They definatley must suck.

• Members

the original crate BV's sound horrid. i have one, and have done quite a bit of modding, and is now fairly decent sounding. the general circuit design is sound, but the component choice is rather poor.

the crate BV150/300 are completely different sounding then even the redesigned BV120's. the preamp is near completely different sounding. the crate BV150 i tried a while back was a really good sounding amp. very thick but articulate, nice EQ controls as well. its a shame that crate shot themselves in the foot with the BV120's overall sound/reputation; the 150/300 really go un-noticed for being good amps.

• Members
Palomino's do rule. Though they are technically ampeg's with a crate badge. The V8 kills fender, epiphone, and peavey 5 watt tube combos.

Ampeg and Crate is the same company. Paliminos and V-series are just newer lines of the Vintage Club seies. And yes, the V8 is pretty decent. I have two of them as well as a V-series V-58.