14 year old kid gets a record deal

xbryanx

• Members

That's a terribly misguided statement.

ehh not so much. i've heard some horro stories about bands falling in debt because the label advanced them money for a van or merch. hes on the right track. it's why we stayed diy for so long. labels have their good time sand bad times

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think the "singer" is 14? He's actually pretty good. The 14 yr old is the screamer, and he sounds 14. Like knucklefux said, he's not going to able to sing the same once his voice changes so he should enjoy it while he can IMO. He might be able to learn to scream just as well with an adult voice but it'll likely take him some time to adjust.

• Members

Didn't Nick Sterling get signed really young like around 14 or 15?

I could understand him getting signed though becuase he's actually a decent musician.

I think Derek Trucks got hurled into the pro music scene with the Allman brothers pretty young as well but again, he's a good musician who deserved it.

• Members

ehh not so much. i've heard some horro stories about bands falling in debt because the label advanced them money for a van or merch. hes on the right track. it's why we stayed diy for so long. labels have their good time sand bad times

I completely understand that. But to suggest that there's NOTHING a signed artist can do that an unsigned artist can't... That's just silly. If nothing else, labels promote you on levels a DIY band never could, labels will work to get your songs onto compilations (theirs and co-labels, which would never happen if a band was pushing themselves), as well as get your videos on TV, not to mention assist in MAKING the video itself (yes, a band can make their own video... But a label already knows who to contact when it comes to a filming and production crew). Basically, if not for a money, a label is a glorified roledex, filled and filed to the brim, and ready to be used.

...Not to mention a guy going into a bank and saying, "yeah, I need a loan to take my band out on the road" probably won't get too far.

• Members

I completely understand that. But to suggest that there's NOTHING a signed artist can do that an unsigned artist can't... That's just silly. If nothing else, labels promote you on levels a DIY band never could, labels will work to get your songs onto compilations (theirs and co-labels, which would never happen if a band was pushing themselves), as well as get your videos on TV, not to mention assist in MAKING the video itself (yes, a band can make their own video... But a label already knows who to contact when it comes to a filming and production crew). Basically, if not for a money, a label is a glorified roledex, filled and filed to the brim, and ready to be used.

...Not to mention a guy going into a bank and saying, "yeah, I need a loan to take my band out on the road" probably won't get too far.

touche. youd be surprised however what you can do as a DIY band. sept 26th we leave for europe for a 2nd time. for that yea we have a label that "released" our cd helping us.(there was no signing of a contract or deal or anything) they helped up with a few shows however. but back home here in the states every tour and release has be DIY for the most part. Getting on comps is not hard either. it's all about the mark that you make in the scene. i know a few underground pants on some well known comps that did it without label help. but you get the idea i was attempting to make

• Members

touche. youd be surprised however what you can do as a DIY band. sept 26th we leave for europe for a 2nd time. for that yea we have a label that "released" our cd helping us.(there was no signing of a contract or deal or anything) they helped up with a few shows however. but back home here in the states every tour and release has be DIY for the most part. Getting on comps is not hard either. it's all about the mark that you make in the scene. i know a few underground pants on some well known comps that did it without label help. but you get the idea i was attempting to make

The last band I was in was all DIY stuff, and the one guitarist manages a small label and records a lot of local bands. What he accomplishes, however, is limited, though I know part of that is his own stubborn and slightly lazy nature. I just know that his stern intention of being a purely DIY act had hurt us a few times, because he wouldn't let others, even without a contract of any kind, help us. It was frustrating.

• Members

The last band I was in was all DIY stuff, and the one guitarist manages a small label and records a lot of local bands. What he accomplishes, however, is limited, though I know part of that is his own stubborn and slightly lazy nature. I just know that his stern intention of being a purely DIY act had hurt us a few times, because he wouldn't let others, even without a contract of any kind, help us. It was frustrating.

indeed. though at times it's best for a band to stay DIY sometimes it's smart to take a lil help

• Members

hmm, wonder why, maybe because they've made 5 albums and are way older? And these guys are just starting out way better than underoath did. Of course, underoaths first cd's were a totally diffrent style than they are now.

it has nothing to do with their age, or how long they've been in the game. i'm saying that this "band" is (consciously or not) a blatent rip-off of all the bands like underoath (which includes, but not limited to: beloved, brazil, underoath, grade, further seems forever, emery, etc.)

i guess originality doesn't count for {censored} these days.

Archived