is an effects loop really needed here?

Terry_m/_Naron

• Members

the amp i plan to buy doesnt have an effects loop, and ive always been told that stompboxes such as overdrive and distortion and a wah should go in front of the preamp, and time based modulation effects should go into the effects loop, im not planning on using a overdrive or distortion......im only planning on getting a good chorus and delay pedal, will putting these in front of the preamp ruin the tone?.....or will it be ok?:confused:

• Members
the amp i plan to buy doesnt have an effects loop, and ive always been told that stompboxes such as overdrive and distortion and a wah should go in front of the preamp, and time based modulation effects should go into the effects loop, im not planning on using a overdrive or distortion......im only planning on getting a good chorus and delay pedal, will putting these in front of the preamp ruin the tone?.....or will it be ok?
:confused:

most delays sound like dookie running in front of the amp. I won't buy an amp w/out an FX loop, but thats just me.

• Members

What amp? I know with a 4-input Marshall you can get a quasi-loop by plugging guitar>top left input> cable from bottom left input>time based effects>cable to top right input. Same with a Bassman or similar amp. Run OD before the first input.(I probably didn't need to add that last, but JIC.)

• Members

I like to put all sorts of effects in front of the amp. It's just a different sound, not a bad one.

Delays are about the only thing I wouldn't bother with in front of a distorted amp. It can work, it's just that it negatively impacts the basic intention of it sounding like an echo, instead of just sounding different.

• Members

i dont exactly have the pedals yet, so im gonna have to use the built in stuff for awhile....so a delay in front isnt such a good idea?

delay out front on a clean amp is fine.. and even in front of a slight overdriven amp is fine to my ears. hi gain amps are a different story though.

• Members

damn...thats what i was worried about, is there any way around this?....cause i love my delay

In all honesty, you can use most delay pedals in the loop (and they are generally designed to go out front). The Boss DD-20 is able to toggle between both, I believe (I could well be mistaken). In terms of delays for high-gain sounds, many use rack processors anyway - It provides greater versatility and often a better sound (hence John Petrucci with his 2290 and Steve Vai with his G-Force and Roland rack delays). All that said though, I wouldn't write off the possibility of using delay with high-gain; it depends on the delay and the amp. On first judgement, I would suggest that analogue delays won't sound as good in this situation. Oh, and put the delay after the distortion, unless you like ridiculous over-the-top sounds. Myself, I love delay too - I use a Zoom 505II (For want of a TC Nova Delay or D-Two) as my delay, so my delays aren't stellar sounding, but I use a fair amount of gain for my leads, and they could sound worse (and my amp is a low quality practice amp).

:thu:

• Members
the amp i plan to buy doesnt have an effects loop, and ive always been told that stompboxes such as overdrive and distortion and a wah should go in front of the preamp, and time based modulation effects should go into the effects loop, im not planning on using a overdrive or distortion......im only planning on getting a good chorus and delay pedal, will putting these in front of the preamp ruin the tone?.....or will it be ok?
:confused:

www.amptone.com

This guys say, and I believe it's fair to say.... that Amp Distortion = Pre Amp Distortion + Power Amp Distortion. Therefore, they advice it does not matter if there is no loop, mic your amps, and apply FX after being Miced.

Peace.

• Members
www.amptone.com

This guys say, and I believe it's fair to say.... that Amp Distortion = Pre Amp Distortion + Power Amp Distortion. Therefore, they advice it does not matter if there is no loop, mic your amps, and apply FX after being Miced.

Peace.

Not usually an option live for most of us. For recording, great, you really need pristine tone there. Live is a bit more forgiving, and if you have a delay in the loop which then hits the power section, it's still gravy. Especially if you have an amp that is MOSTLY preamp dist rather than poweramp dist (a la the VHT UL)

• Members

I have yet to find any way around it, and not for lack of trying! :mad::) I set my amps up for crunch and roll back my guitar's volume for clean sounds, and a delay between the guitar & amp just can't seem to handle that too well, which means, for me, I gots to has a loop. I wish I didn't. I even finally learned to get a chorus pedal to sound good up front, trying to move away from using fx loops, but with delay, alas, I haven't yet found a viable alternative ... :cry:

• Members

Not usually an option live for most of us. For recording, great, you really need pristine tone there. Live is a bit more forgiving, and if you have a delay in the loop which then hits the power section, it's still gravy. Especially if you have an amp that is MOSTLY preamp dist rather than poweramp dist (a la the VHT UL)

Howdee. I agree, but if you still have no giging amp, you could go to a low watt Amp, Probably a 5-10W, and the rest use it for a Mixer and Monitors. There are million of things you could do, the important thing is finding a tone you like that balances, price, ease of setting up, playability on the stage, and probably looks.

Peace.

• Members

I agree with peavey. I use a boss delay, but I use a ts-9 overdrive before the delay in the pedal chain, and I only use the clean channel on my amp. If you're using the dirty channel on the amp, a loop would be the only way to get clean sharp delays. The bottom line is that delay should come after distortion or overdrive, and that won't happen if you use the amps' loop.

Archived