Front row at VH rehearsal concert lastnight!

Celestion101

• Members

I had the privilege of attending lastnights show and it was a blast. We arrived early and caught sound check and then managed to score front row seats right in front of Ed. Like the previous concerts, there is a sectioned off seating area up front for about 200 people where the stage wraps around. It was stalk full of rock stars and actors. I literally sat next to and BS'd with George Lynch and Zakk Wylde, and Tom Morello (sp?) from Rage was seated right behind me. Lets say Zakk was having a good time!! At one point he and George's wife switched shoes..she put on the boots and him the pumps! Here he is in full BLS garb with his overalls rolled up walking around. It was classic!

Back to the show.....

First off, kudos to Wolfgang. The kid did an amazing job. He was very solid on the bass and his vocals were great (him and his dad did great on the harmony stuff and it seemed unprocessed with exception to the typical vocal reverb etc.). It was great to see DLR as well. The chemistry was great and he still managed enough high kicks to satisfy the skeptical. He also had a solid vocal performance. He hits a lot of the high parts and then takes the smart road where he needs too (as he did when I saw them in 1984).

The VH brothers both tore it up as well. Ed played his ass off and appeared to be having a great time. His chops were better than I've seen in years. His new amps sounded great as well, somewhere between his original tone and the newer 5150 sounds. In other words, slightly heavier than the original (barely), but not as gained out as the 5150's of yesteryear.

They played for 2+ hours and there were no losers, just all the favorites!

Tonight will be one for the memory books for sure

• Members

Thanks guys. Regarding Michael Anthony, the consensus is that it would have been cool to have them, but it is understandable to everyone ("the rock stars") why EVH wanted to tour with his son. After all, they did not need to do this, but instead it was a chance to have some fun, sing the hits, and give people a killer show. MA is a blast on stage to watch, but musically, Wolfe nailed it.

• Members
Thanks guys. Regarding Michael Anthony, the consensus is that it would have been cool to have them, but it is understandable to everyone ("the rock stars") why EVH wanted to tour with his son. After all, they did not need to do this, but instead it was a chance to have some fun, sing the hits, and give people a killer show. MA is a blast on stage to watch, but musically, Wolfe nailed it.

plus they dont have to pay wolfgang as much :p

Archived