Tell me what I'm doing wrong cause

LnTh

• Members

I've NEVER broken a string while I'm playing the guitar. NEVER. I've been playing for 11 years now. What the hell am I missing? :confused:

Well I change the strings every 2-3 weeks. Maybe that's it? Or maybe my playing? I'm seriously clueless here. My cousins guitarist breaks a string every practice. EVERY SINGLE practice. They've kept telling me it's the guitar not him. I borrow his guitar for a 3 months back when I sold everything. In that time, the times I broke strings on that guitar was null. zero.

Weird {censored}.

• Members

Let me say first unless you are a session musician or excessively sweaty changing strings every 2 or 3 weeks is WAY too much.

I've played guitar for 16 years and I've NEVER broken a string. You act like its a bad thing.

Sometimes it's the guitar. Some Gibson bridges have snags that break strings. Sometimes {censored}ty strings have flaws and break. Some guys don't know what they are doing. My brother does not play guitar, and I would never let him near my guitars because a few strums and he would break a string every time.

I like to think I have a heavy strumming hand, too.

• Moderators
I've NEVER broken a string while I'm playing the guitar. NEVER. I've been playing for 11 years now. What the hell am I missing?
:confused:

Well I change the strings every 2-3 weeks. Maybe that's it? Or maybe my playing? I'm seriously clueless here. My cousins guitarist breaks a string every practice. EVERY SINGLE practice. They've kept telling me it's the guitar not him. I borrow his guitar for a 3 months back when I sold everything. In that time, the times I broke strings on that guitar was null. zero.

Weird {censored}.

I don't know if you are doing anything wrong per se.. are you gigging with them? maybe you just aren't real aggressive? I've never broken one on stage, but I change them before every gig. I had a problem with string breakage on my 2000 deluxe strat all the time, on the B string at the bridge, but I replaced the saddles with graphite ones and that fixed the problem.

• Members

Interesting. Do you bend much? What kind of bridges on your guitars? Do you have a light picking technique?

Just wondering cause I've broken plenty of strings. Not all the time but it happens. Although I must say that I haven't broken any since I installed some GraphTech saddles about 2 years ago. :thu:

• Members
I've NEVER broken a string while I'm playing the guitar. NEVER. I've been playing for 11 years now. What the hell am I missing?
:confused:

Weird {censored}.

Most string breakag due a sharp edge on the saddles of your bridge. You should tell your brother to take his guitar to a tech and have them sanded, or if you guys are crafty research it on the internet and do it yourself.:thu:

• Members

Changin strings every 2-3 weeks surely helps. I'd say that's about 1/4th of the reason you don't break strings, they don't have time to get worn out. The other 1/4th is the guitar. Like Hulston says, some tune-o-matics tend to snag. Tremolo's, when used a lot, are hell on strings. The last 1/2 is you. If you don't play with a heavy picking hand, don't dig the strings when you pick, don't do many step-and-a-half bends, etc then there's no reason you should break strings. You're not doing anything wrong. As long as you're happy, who cares. Do what you do and enjoy it.

• Members

Yeah I made it sound like it's bad but I can't complain :D

Btw, I don't think changing every 2-3 weeks is a alot. You don't have to be a session musician to get through strings fast :) My hands do get sweatier than average musician but IMO 2 hours everyday is more than enough to get through strings in 2-3 weeks. I don't wait till they're unplayable. I change them when I start losing tone/sustain significantly.

Oh and no, I can't say I'm a very light player. Lead playing I tend to get light but when I'm playing riffs I do strike pretty hard depends on the song too ofcourse.

• Moderators
Interesting. Do you bend much? What kind of bridges on your guitars? Do you have a light picking technique?

Just wondering cause I've broken plenty of strings. Not all the time but it happens. Although I must say that I haven't broken any since I installed some GraphTech saddles about 2 years ago.
:thu:

Let me ask you this... I have the same saddles on one of my strats (see my first post in the thread)... do you notice a difference in tone between the metal ones and the graphite ones? I like that strat a LOT less then my SRV so I was wondering if maybe that is why (tone wise, I mean).

• Moderators
Yeah I made it sound like it's bad but I can't complain
:D

Btw, I don't think changing every 2-3 weeks is a alot. You don't have to be a session musician to get through strings fast
:)
My hands do get sweatier than average musician but IMO 2 hours everyday is more than enough to get through strings in 2-3 weeks. I don't wait till they're unplayable. I change them when I start losing tone/sustain significantly.

I think string changing is just preference. I perfer the brighter sound of new strings, some peple prefer the more mellow sound. As long as you can afford it, change away, I say! :)

• Members

Let me ask you this... I have the same saddles on one of my strats (see my first post in the thread)... do you notice a difference in tone between the metal ones and the graphite ones? I like that strat a LOT less then my SRV so I was wondering if maybe that is why (tone wise, I mean).

Not that I could tell, but I don't claim to have a super sensative ear.

• Moderators

Not that I could tell, but I don't claim to have a super sensative ear.

Ok, cool man. My 2000 (Lisa, after my wife) is the best sounding unplugged electric I ever heard but it is dull as heck when I plug it in. Probably the fender "noiseless (ie lifeless) pickups".

• Members

When I started I broke A LOT of strings. Didn't matter what guage.

Now....I just....don't break strings anymore.

I hadn't really thought of that until you mentioned it here.

It boggles my mind how a bass player like flea used to break strings at every show.

• Members

It boggles my mind how a bass player like flea used to break strings at every show.

A friend of mine who used to play bass in my band used to break his bass's low E every other practice. Blew my mind.

I have had the same strings on my bass for like 4 months now; no breakage.

• Members

if you don't break strings then you only need to change strings every 2 weeks or so. i don't break them that often on my music man so i can go about 2 or 3 shows or so without changing strings... LOL. At home when it's just church and studio, it's about 2 weeks. When on the road i change them every show though. It's part of professional guitar life... when people pay to see you, breaking strings isn't the best part of the show (especially when you have a trem bridge and the whole thing goes out of tune when a string breaks). Most stores will sell strings at about 3 or 4 bucks a pack... that's not a lot of money so change them before shows (imo of course).

• Members

Lucky you. I break strings all the time, and it's definitely because of my picking style because they break on all my guitars. And it's always the wound strings. I don't think I've snapped a string from playing leads in years... but I palm mute pretty {censored}ing hard, and my wound strings always break at the bridge.

Archived