Best sounding tube amp (boutique or otherwise) around 5W

The Keester

• Members

i am in the market for a KILLER sounding tube amp at any price no more than 5 watts. i want clear tonal bliss.

i already have a gibson LP jr amp hat i really like and a champ 600 w/ jj tubes that i really dig for cleans.

looking for a 3rd for some nice classic rock tones with a variety of pickups (p90s, HBs, filtertrons, tele/strat singecoils)

thanks

• Members

get yourself a Epiphone Valve Junior or one of it's clones and mod it in the way you like it.. Give it a Marshall voicing, or more of a Vox voicing... perhaps even a hotrodded Fender... Whatever you want... Tons of resources to be found on the net about that...

• Members

Some old school amps have some serious potential, my Bogen record player (minus the record player) with a mic circuit...with minor mod and restoration. Tried various 5-watters in the store ...can't even come close to hanging with this 50 yr old gem (though haven't tried boutiques). Though only so much clean, then gradually od and ending in creamy grind depending on knob position but it will clean up on pick attack.

• Members

The Dr Z Mini Z is a very cool amp, but gets progressively dirty as you crank it....It was discontinued so it might but a cool one to have.

The best 5 watter I have heard is the little Victoria 5112, which is the 518 with a 12" speaker...i have been through a lot of small amps, prefer em' actually, and this is the best I have owned. Lots of clips here at the Vic site!

http://www.victoriaamp.com/visitor/show_model/2

• Members

Check out Victoria Amps. My buddy had one and although I'm a super metal guy, I thought the tone was perfect for a rock and roll kinda tone.

yep...the 5112 is listed at 1195.00, but can be had for under 900.00. When I asked Miss Claus for a downstairs amp I got to audition quite a few. The 12" Eminence in the 5112 sold itself next to the Champ sized regular models.

• Members

Agreed, they are great....do they make a 5 watter though?

they use to. I'm talking about the naylors from about 10 years... oh god, I'm old actually I think it may have been longer than that... memory failing... anyway, you see the little ones on ebay all the time, the original series. Joe started out making these little practise amps... they go for about 1500 now.. sometimes more. they may have been 10 watts tho. Its hard to say since I haven't seen one in a while. Youd really have to look around for them.

As you probably know, Naylor was purchased back around 2000 from Joe Naylor. The line is somewhat different now. Joe Naylor (the god damn genious) now works for Reverend Guitars which no longer makes amps that I'm aware of...(they actually made 10 watt amp that they no longer make and sold for about 400$ and it was impecable, it was based on Joe's original series of Naylor amps with some differences, if you can find one of the reverend amps, buy it)

Archived