Help, please. How much $ to fix snapped headstock on an LP Studio?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Hey, my friend just had a situation came up and needs some help. He had his drummer's dad's Gibson LP Studio in his van along with other gear, and somehow his cab fell over and landed on the LP and the infamous headstock snap that so many les pauls have gone through occured. My friend knows he needs to now make up for the situation, but I'm trying to help him out so it's as fair to him as possible. The headstock is snapped behind the nut. Around how much does it cost to get these professionally fixed? I know it's a fairly common thing, but not sure of the price. Also, how much do LP Studios go for used nowadays.... $700ish or so? We're trying to figure out the best way for him to solve this situation. Do you think it'd be cheaper to get a luthier to repair the crack or would just replacing the guitar be a cheaper? He's only 18 by the way, and already was really broke. So I kinda feel bad for him.

• Members

There is a forumite that will do a great job on it. I forget his name, there was a thread about a while back with pics. Looked good as new.

Cool. Yeah, I've heard that these repairs can sometimes even make the headstock stronger than it was originally. If you can, try to find out that guy's name for me. Anybody know it or how to get ahold of him? I did some research and saw that a headstock repair is in the $200 max range.... Does that sound right?

• Members

You can get the repair done for much less then the cost of a replacement, but a lp studio with a repaired neck is worth far less. A used lp studio can be had for $600 if you keep your eyes open. Repair costs vary from shop to shop, they can vary depending on the complexity of the break and the cost of finish work. A few hundred is a reasonable range but consider that the if repair costs $200 and the now repaired lp studio is worth around $400-500 maybe, is it even worth doing? IMO I would sell the lp as is on ebay, walk away with the cash, add what it would cost to do the repair plus maybe a little extra depending on what the lp would get, and buy a used studio without a crack.

• Members

so, a used LP studio goes for $600 at the least. one with a broken but repaired neck goes for $500 max. with a $200 repair, that means a broken guitar is worth $300 max. that still leaves $300 for the broke ass kid to make up...if everything goes by these numbers.

find a reputable luthier to do the repair.

• Members

A friend of mine dropped my Les Paul Studio out of its case picking it up without the latches on the case shut. A luthier from Duluth Minnesota by the name of Greg Nelson reglued the break, and then luckily the guitar was white, and he was able to refinish the back of the neck and blend it very well sothat you wouldnt even know that the break occured. Did the whole shebang for 185 bucks, but that was in about 1997. Hopefully this Studio is also a solid color and the refinish would cover it up, not that I'd suggest him to try to pass it off as a non-repaired item, that kinda stuff is unethical in my book.

• Members

"so, a used LP studio goes for $600 at the least. one with a broken but repaired neck goes for $500 max. with a $200 repair, that means a broken guitar is worth $300 max. that still leaves $300 for the broke ass kid to make up...if everything goes by these numbers.

find a reputable luthier to do the repair."

Yes, but how much dose a non repaired lp go for on ebay, I was thinking around $300 if the headstock wasn

• Members

Cool. Yeah, I've heard that these repairs can sometimes even make the headstock stronger than it was originally. If you can, try to find out that guy's name for me. Anybody know it or how to get ahold of him? I did some research and saw that a headstock repair is in the $200 max range.... Does that sound right?

It won't make the headstock stronger. That's just an uninformed myth. Sure, exactly where the break occured the headstock will be stronger, but the rest will be just as weak. Not to mention the trauma that it caused the wood around the break.

• Members

"so, a used LP studio goes for $600 at the least. one with a broken but repaired neck goes for $500 max. with a $200 repair, that means a broken guitar is worth $300 max. that still leaves $300 for the broke ass kid to make up...if everything goes by these numbers.

find a reputable luthier to do the repair."

Yes, but how much dose a non repaired lp go for on ebay, I was thinking around $300 if the headstock wasn

• Members

"Lol. He just wants to fix it for his drummers dad.

I am sure its not a gear whore situation like us guys."

Good point to bring up. It would really be up to the owner, who knows how he feels about it. Maybe he would rather just have it repaired, maybe not. IMO if you are going to make things right with someone you have to do it 100% not half assed broke or not.

• Members

Have a luthier fix it, it isnt that expsensive.

Ive broken the headstock of my main les paul studio three times now.

First on stage, second in the van to a show, and third time I hung it on the wall plugged in, and tripped over the chord.

The first time was glued.

Second time broke in the same place and it was glued again.

Third time it shattered most of the neck and destroyed the glued area.

I had it pinned and it has since been unbreakable...

Have someone do ir right and its not that big of a deal....

I got to open on the ozzfest a few years ago and checked out Zacks wall of les pauls, almost every single one had a pinned headstock, most not even repainted.

His guitar tech told me that Zack WANTS him to pin them before they break, as once they are fixed correctly they not break again...

Heres a couple shots on one of my breaks...

13.jpg

broken_guitar.jpg

Oh thats not misinformation.

The weakest part of the les paul is the neck, so if two holes are drilled, and proper glue and dowell work done, it IS stronger than brand new.

But dont listen to me, do the searching your self, even call gibson, they actually offer to dowell pin new guitars for you before you even play it.

But yea, I guess they dont count....

• Members

Have a luthier fix it, it isnt that expsensive.

Ive broken the headstock of my main les paul studio three times now.

First on stage, second in the van to a show, and third time I hung it on the wall plugged in, and tripped over the chord.

The first time was glued.

Second time broke in the same place and it was glued again.

Third time it shattered most of the neck and destroyed the glued area.

I had it pinned and it has since been unbreakable...

Have someone do ir right and its not that big of a deal....

I got to open on the ozzfest a few years ago and checked out Zacks wall of les pauls, almost every single one had a pinned headstock, most not even repainted.

His guitar tech told me that Zack WANTS him to pin them before they break, as once they are fixed correctly they not break again...

Heres a couple shots on one of my breaks...

13.jpg
broken_guitar.jpg

Rayneman had a break just like that that I fixed.

• Members

Rayneman had a break just like that that I fixed.

Yea this was the tamest break of the three..

Did you glue or dowell?

For me, in AZ, the heat will loosen the glue in time, so I had to go with the pin..

But since its been pinned, it has been my main guitar, even over my classic paul for many years.

I didnt even refinish the back, its still sanded down and the pins are visible..

Scars are for stories...

Never goes out of tune, and the intonation is perfect.

I just got finished recording my bands full length and I hauled all my les pauls to the studios and I ended up playing 90% of the record on my busted down ole studio...

Its just my favorite guitar I guess..

So for OP, I would repair it no matter what, as its a gibson, and us gibby guys just like our guitars. If it was a ibanez, yea Id throw it out and buy a new one.

Im just amazed at anyone thinking getting rid of a les paul due to a headstock break is normal.

But again, Im a die hard les paul fan...

• Members

Yea this was the tamest break of the three..

Did you glue or dowell?

For me, in AZ, the heat will loosen the glue in time, so I had to go with the pin..

But since its been pinned, it has been my main guitar, even over my classic paul for many years.

I didnt even refinish the back, its still sanded down and the pins are visible..

Scars are for stories...

Never goes out of tune, and the intonation is perfect.

I just got finished recording my bands full length and I hauled all my les pauls to the studios and I ended up playing 90% of the record on my busted down ole studio...

Its just my favorite guitar I guess..

So for OP, I would repair it no matter what, as its a gibson, and us gibby guys just like our guitars. If it was a ibanez, yea Id throw it out and buy a new one.

Im just amazed at anyone thinking getting rid of a les paul due to a headstock break is normal.

But again, Im a die hard les paul fan...

I glued it. It has been refinished too. You'd never know there was a break.

• Members

I glued it. It has been refinished too. You'd never know there was a break.

The refinishing is the expesive part if I remember correctly....

I just needed mine back, and didnt care what it looked like.....

But maybe one day I will repair it correctly, who knows, I might break it again!

Archived