AlNiCo Blue's and Wharfdale Sound Clips

bmast160

• Members

Yeah, i understand what are you saying, but there is a certain character to the amplifier regardless of what's playing through. I can play mine with humbuckers, singles, it still has the same character. I can watch the youtube videos and get a good idea of the differences between mine the standards. I would still like to hear an out and out comparison, as you would. Not sure if we'll be able to get something like that too soon, however.

so what are your thoughts after hearing your alnico's versus the wharfdales you heard online?

• Members

I'll tell you one thing - changing from the Wharfdales to Greenies in my AC30 was the best thing for the tone. The Wharfdales don't sound bad at low volume, but they don't "add" to the tone at higher volumes like Greenbacks and Blues do. After having broken in the Greenies (I've had them in there for almost a year now), I'm really impressed.

• Members
celestion blues are extremely bright (trebly) speakers
:confused:

yes, until you PUSH them. then they fatten/thicken up into the juiciest, most harmonically rich overdrive tones you will ever hear. the problem with the the warfdales is that they just stay really bright, and when presented with overdrive, just plain out suck; they don't fatten up/compress at all like the blues.

the blues are pure sex in an AC30.

if compared to the blues, you can even remotely defend the warfdales, then you can't be my friend. :cop:

• Members

what about comparing the two when the tubes are not overdriven. i'd just be using them for a clean tone. i have another amp which i use for overdriven tones.

the warfdales are bright, thin, and jangly,bordering on harsh. they are just a cold speaker.

the blues are still on a whole 'nother level. clean, they have a bright, jangly top-end, but never harsh, a midrange peak, and very warm bass.

you need to go play 2 different ones to see for yourself. there's a reason the ac30CCx is like $500 more than the warfdales.

• Members
You seem to be the only one in this camp. Everyone who says they have them including myself describes them as dark.

Actually, I found that they were a darker speaker that had a harsh top end when pushed, where does that put me? :p

AC30's seem to thrive on speaker breakup and compression - that's where the "AC30" tone really comes into play. That's the reason (IMO) that Blues and Greenbacks work so well with the AC30 - they compress and break up better than something like a V30 or a Classic Lead.

Archived