So who is living the rock 'n roll dream and actually playing out with a full stack?

bikehorn

• Members

I use 2 halfstacks as well. Our bass player has 2 8x10 cabs (usually just uses one, though).

We rarely play venues where the cabs aren't miked, and the rooms can take the volume very easily.

And, in smaller rooms, it really isn't hard to control things even with a full stack or 2 half stacks. Just don't be an idiot.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope, just a half stack here. I thought about turning it into a full stack earlier this month, but frankly my back isn't up to it and I can't imagine EVER needing to get louder than my half stack gets.

I don't really think my full is louder than my half ever was, just more bassy and big sounding.

• Members

Nope, just a half stack here. I thought about turning it into a full stack earlier this month, but frankly my back isn't up to it and I can't imagine EVER needing to get louder than my half stack gets.

I always thought full stacks were more for image and a fuller, deeper tone not actual loudness in most cases.

• Members

I always thought full stacks were more for image and a fuller, deeper tone not actual loudness in most cases.

Image, yes, but my experience has always been that the more air you're pushing, the louder it gets at max volume. More speakers pushing more air does mean that you'll have more fullness at all volume levels, too, I suppose.

Either way, I've never found my half-stack to sound anemic, while even a 2x12 can sound a bit brittle in my experience.

• Members

Nice pics guys.

Honestly I never see myself neeeding more than a 2x12 or 4x10 combo, 40 watts at the most(Marshall Bluesbreaker, Vox AC30, Hiwatt DR504 combo) but damn, full stacks just look so sweet.

Maybe not a "full stack", but here's a picture taken out of the '73 Orange catalog, showing almost their entire product lineup from that year. I wish they still made PA equipment!

Orangelineup73.jpg

• Members

Since I rolled my Mazda pickup last Winter, I can't manage more than one cab. Before that I would run three 4x12's across. If it was a smaller stage area I would stack two cabs. I used to go full stack even when just playing party's but the other bands really got tired of setting up around my rig.

Archived