this is a bad idea but i need opinions

nitrous2400

• Members

well my amps in the shop i wanted to get it checked out before i get new tubes. I gotta wait 2 weeks for a tech to check it out, and then prob another week to get it back in my hands.:cry: I've been wondering alot weather i shud keep the recto or not since i tried a powerball for like the 3rd time. Its a grea amp but I'm lookin for huge low end and tons of gain with a dark modern sound. I don't do the whole scooped mids like most ppl do, and i play in drop g so the low end is important:lol:(think whitechapel or the acacia strain tone)

so im wondering if gettin the ktt88/kt77 kit from eurotubes will get me any where near the low end and gain ive been wantin:confused: i havent heard anyone reply of havin the kit or feedback on the sound when i posted about it here and even on the boogie forums. I've never heard any clips a mesa with kt88s either. I mean rectos sound good with 6l6s but kt88s are a noticeable difference, and everyone I asked bout it were concerned bout the output transformer so im not sure what to do :confused:...and most of them said i should either just buy a powerball, uberschall, new krank or a 6505+ depending on who it was :lol:

The amps still under warranty for a few more years, and its been babied and not played very often and never very loud. and when i brought it into the amp shop the owner was gawkin at it the whole time and yelled at me not to DARE void the warranty with different tubes :cop: i know this is prob a bad idea but

if you had the choice what would you :

1)keep the recto and get new 6l6s

2)keep the recto and get the kt88s anyway

3)sell the mesa get a engl powerball

4)sell the mesa get something else (krank peavey uberschall nitro w/kt88s)

• Members

I don't think you will get gain from the kt88's but I could be wrong. I have them in a JCM800 59 and there is no breakup at all just pure loud freekin power. I play a lot of drop d stuff and I get the bottom end from changing out my speakers. Have some celestion g1265's and some vintage 30's. An amp with EL34's can be rebiased to take KT88's. Never heard of 6l6's being swapped for KT88's. Choice 4 for me.

P.S. I think your tech is to slow.

• Members

rectos should have pretty decent low end if set up right, so the amp probably isn't the issue. However, if you want to start looking at the other boutique amp companies by all means do so, there are other great amps out there too. Shop around. Play as many as you can, and find the one that makes you excited to play.

• Members

Do you play in a band, or just at home? It's really hard, if not impossible to recreate studio tone live, especially when tuned down that low. Alot of heavy tones really rely on the bass to provide that deep thunderous low end. Maybe you should mess around with the settings on the sub?

• Members

i play in a band and at home, i never said the amp sounded horrible or even bad lol. the amp sounds good im just thinkin its time for a change and im lookin to either enhance the tone or get an amp with better tone... me and my friends have tried to contour the amp with the 31band eq and the sonic maximizer in the loop and it sounds good i just want more lowend and gain than the amp can deliver the way it is stock ... im leanin toward one of three amps powerball uberschall or vht ultralead

• Members

i play in a band and at home, i never said the amp sounded horrible or even bad lol. the amp sounds good im just thinkin its time for a change and im lookin to either enhance the tone or get an amp with better tone... me and my friends have tried to contour the amp with the 31band eq and the sonic maximizer in the loop and it sounds good i just want more lowend and gain than the amp can deliver the way it is stock ... im leanin toward one of three amps powerball uberschall or vht ultralead

I gotta be honest, I don't know if you are really gonna find something with much more low end and gain than a recto. How old are the preamp tubes in it?

• Members
Do you play in a band, or just at home? It's really hard, if not impossible to recreate studio tone live, especially when tuned down that low. Alot of heavy tones really rely on the bass to provide that deep thunderous low end. Maybe you should mess around with the settings on the sub?

+ 1. I was going to ask if the powerball had been tried out in a band context with the heavy low end dialed in and if it actually stood out while a bassist and drummer were playing along. Some of the hugest tones I've had I thought would just blow away a band only to find I had to go to the controls and kept pushing the volume up, up, up and still wasn't getting what I wanted. :D

• Members

Have you tried a boost in front and the eq you have in the loop to dial back in more low end?

A number of people seem to love using a boost with their Rectos for a bit of difference in tone if not for more gain. Before going into another amp I'd recommend giving that a shot as well as trying one of those other amps in a band context with the tuning and style the same as you're going to play to make sure it'll do what you want rather than just how it sounds playing a guitar through it alone.

• Members
Have you tried a boost in front and the eq you have in the loop to dial back in more low end?

A number of people seem to love using a boost with their Rectos for a bit of difference in tone if not for more gain. Before going into another amp I'd recommend giving that a shot as well as trying one of those other amps in a band context with the tuning and style the same as you're going to play to make sure it'll do what you want rather than just how it sounds playing a guitar through it alone.

i run a ts9dx and a lpb1 boosting it thru the front, and in the loop i have a sonic maximizer 482i and a dbx31band eq with a decimator to quiet it all down :freak: i mean regardless half the guys in here are gonna laugh or say {censored} no matter what i say cause its dropped so far and i dont think anyone else plays that low but it sounds narsty i've heard alot bands playin kranks and 5150s and rectos in the tunings but never a bogner or powerball so it sucks passing judgement in that respect and i never got to use one of my guitars testing the bogner or powerball:cry:

• Members

What kind of strings are you using? I know this might sound weird, but I had a guitar in Ab for a while with some pretty small strings(.52 I think) and it sounded very weak and had no balls. As soon as I threw some thicker strings on there it really fattened up.

• Members

What kind of strings are you using? I know this might sound weird, but I had a guitar in Ab for a while with some pretty small strings(.52 I think) and it sounded very weak and had no balls. As soon as I threw some thicker strings on there it really fattened up.

Great point.

• Members

i mix and match with ghs boomers (oddly zakk wyldes names on one of the packages) :lol:

but the strings are .14 - .70 :thu:

Archived