Cool AxeFX metal clips... check em out

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I am on the list for the Fractal Audio AxeFX.... I was mainly interested in it, because I think it might be a possible replacement to the majority of my pedalboard in a single package.... but I've been searching around checking out clips of it, because I think it could be very useful for recording... well, there's been tons of GREAT clean clips floating around, but I hadn't found too many metal clips, but tonight I found a few that are extremely nice.... just thought I'd post over here incase anyone wanted to hear

This one is from Mike Gilbert of the band Severed Savior.... kind of a Necrophagist kinda tune.... tech death stuff. He is recording the guitar work for their new album direct from the AxeFX preamp.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/4539205ad52098/

This one is a forum member's attempt at the Pantera sound... I'm not all that into the Dimebag tone, but it sounds dead on to me.

http://guitarlogic.org/axefxclips/walkish.mp3

Here's a decent, dark metal riffing kinda tone by the same guy that did the above clip.... not all that into the tone for my tastes, but i've heard diezel herbert recordings that sounded very similar.

http://guitarlogic.org/axefxclips/diezel_powerball_customMesacabs.mp3

Anyways, I'm really excited to get this thing.... both for the effects and playing around with direct recording... I think it could be very useful for both really pristine cleans and super tight, somewhat processed sounding technical metal kinda tones... stuff like the faceless/born of osiris/necrophagist... I want this damn thing now.

• Members

id love to have one but too much cash for me. Those are some good metal clips.

Yeah, it's expenisve, but it's actually a pretty good value for me, because I'm pretty heavy into effects, and they are on par with eventide/lexicon/tc electronic rack stuff... it can do a LOT for $1350... it will clear out most of my pedalboard, which will help pay for it... I might keep a looper on my board.. and a volume pedal.... but that's probably it... I'm excited for it.

• Members

Do those have any post eq on them?

I'm pretty sure they're all direct. See, the AxeFX itself has a ton of options already... it has two built in parametric EQ's and two built in graphic EQ's, as well as cab simulations and {censored} called IR's (impulse responses) that emulate the the response of various mics and speakers... another thing they were doing was using early reflections in the Reverb area to help shape the room sound, which affected the tightness and "in your face" kinda quality.... pretty damn cool, I think.... lots of ways to tweak. and they have a site up where users can upload their patches for people to download and share...

• Members
  • Members

I think the thing sounds pretty good but still a bit like a modeler. Then again if someone posted clips and said it was a genuine amp I and many others would likely be fooled on some settings though there'll always be those chiming in after it was mentioned it was the axeFX who'd say they already knew. :D I could see a major fx/rack user really digging it a lot, in any case. I'd like to hear one in person running into a nice tube power amp as well as how it handles any other fx in front like a fuzz, wah, and/or overdrive. :cool:

• Members

Modelz have their place. I like em too.

I don't go by clips since so much is dr'd. Listening to clips this pod guy had local. Went to see their band play and it sounded liek {censored}. I asked what happened. He said the clip had 5 trks. :freak:

Then why'd ya ask me to hear it in your band?

brrzzzzzz notes brrrzzz notes brrrzzz notes n chorus

• Members

I don't go by clips since so much is dr'd. Listening to clips this pod guy had local. Went to see their band play and it sounded liek {censored}. I asked what happened. He said the clip had 5 trks.
:freak:

You could say that about alot of bands though. Alot of albums are studio magic.

• Members

If you had to guess, what would you say these are? In terms of modeler, DI or mic'ed amp.

edit: These clips were both recorded the same way so make one guess.

2 different songs? Hardly a comparison. Also, in a mix, I think modelers can sound pretty decent. Of the 2 you posted, I preferred the first tone better, but it could be because I like the riff better?

The best Axe-FX tone I've heard is the first link in this thread, but nothing that makes me want to buy one...All the others sound no better than POD's, IMO.

• Members

2 different songs? Hardly a comparison. Also, in a mix, I think modelers can sound pretty decent. Of the 2 you posted, I preferred the first tone better, but it could be because I like the riff better?

Its not a comparison, they are 2 songs recorded the same way with the same equipment. Just want to hear how you think they were recorded?

• Members

I haven't listened to these samples yet because I'm at work.
But...I haven't been much impressed with what I've heard.
It sounds like a POD to me. :idk:
They're just another toy, I'm sure they'll be a plethora of these on spam threads once the honeymoon's over.

• Members

Do those have any post eq on them?

It's hard to say. You can do so much with EQ on the axe-FX it's silly.

You can insert an EQ block wherever you want. A lot of people put an EQ block after the cab sim to tweak the cabs a bit to their liking (just slight amounts of EQ).

The routing is really incredible. You can peel off your signal to feed a tube poweramp on stage and then keep the same signal going through a poweramp, cab, and mic sim to feed the front of the house or "just in case".

I really love my Ultra. I won't be selling my amps, but I also won't be buying any new amps unless I'm utterly blown away by them.

I use the ultra mostly as an FX box, and it's more then worth it's price doing that, considering as it's as powerful as a $6000 eventide box.

-W

• Members

If you had to guess, what would you say these are? In terms of modeler, DI or mic'ed amp.

Test 1

Test 2

edit: These clips were both recorded the same way so make one guess.

I know what will happen if I make my guess on those clips. I'll get it wrong and look like a complete fool :lol:

I've got a decent amount of experience recording guitar, both miced and direct, and I can say that it takes good mics, mic placement, mic preamps, and general mixing to get a better sound than a quality modeler direct in. However, so many things effect the sound that you get recorded that also have the "DI sound" that its extremely difficult to tell.

That said, your recordings, to me, first impression, gut instinct, knee jerk reaction, sound like a modeler. I'm not saying they sound bad or inferior to a miced amp. I think they sound pretty good, but not the same sonic qualities that micing can get.

• Members

That said, your recordings, to me, first impression, gut instinct, knee jerk reaction, sound like a modeler. I'm not saying they sound bad or inferior to a miced amp. I think they sound pretty good, but not the same sonic qualities that micing can get.

You got the not mic'ed part correct. You are right though, its tough to get that live sound without pushing speakers.

• Members

Korg?

Could be a boosted Zvex nano

That's why I never judge any sound by clips. Mixes can f with you.
I like to hear things in person. One POD patch. or One amp. Then I know.
99 out of 100, the POD sounds like sh!t comp to an amp live ( decent amp btw)

That's why the modzlers great for recording, crap for live. Some A FX users
have said they stil prefer their amps on a gig.

So it's just more gear to the same.

• Members

Korg?

Could be a boosted Zvex nano

That's why I never judge any sound by clips. Mixes can f with you.

I like to hear things in person. One POD patch. or One amp. Then I know.

99 out of 100, the POD sounds like sh!t comp to an amp live ( decent amp btw)

That's why the modzlers great for recording, crap for live. Some A FX users

have said they stil prefer their amps on a gig.

So it's just more gear to the same.

Modelers do sound best when layered. My HD147 sounds great live though, but its definitely something you have to mess with a lot.

To get that "miced" sound, I'm going to try and record with the DI signal from my Deliverance ( when it gets here ) through a powerbrake, and then use cabinet impulses to simulate mics.

• Members

It's weird Live.

Most places don't want the sound to change that much. I see the POD guys and they have 50 presets a set. Some parts you hear, hate and others are too weak to hear to even hate them or not.

One guy had his POD rigged up to a nice Fender. Sound was just meh and blanketed. I told him go w Fender amp and use my boost. Sounded great.

Take my 2203, a boost and delay. Instant working tone. If I want more with limited effects, or don't want to lug a pedalboard I use the S-Blade.

Archived