Cool AxeFX metal clips... check em out

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I thought Mike uses an Engl E570 into an Engl Power Amp?

Vid

Yeah, he's still using the Engl SE preamp live for most shows, and using the AxeFX for effects, but he said he is recording their new cd 100% direct from the AxeFX preamp. He is very into the AxeFX though, and apparently does use it live occasionally for European tours and such... He's got to like it if he's recording all the guitar tracks for their new cd with it, heh.

Anyways, it wasn't meant to stir anything up, but I am pretty impressed by some of the clips I've heard... because of the routing/IR/EQ/etc. options, I think this thing gets MUCH closer to specific tube amp sounds than any modeler has before, and I think it's close enough for a lot of people....

Either way, like starsnuffer said, this thing is an absolute beast for effects... If I happen to get into the amp simulations and actually like them and use them for recording, then I'll just consider that icing on the cake.

By the way, I happen to really like the tone of two albums I know for sure were recorded with Line 6 equipment... Akeldama by The Faceless, and The New Reign by Born of Osiris... both the super tight, "sterile", surgical kinda rhythms, and also the warm lead tones sound great to me. I think for this type of stuff the AxeFX could probably work great... I also think it could work extremely well for pristine, effect-heavy cleans.... much in the same way the Roland JC-120 does (except minus that 80's chorus). I think what might be lacking a bit is the mid gain blues and rock kinda tones, but I've seen a bunch of guys already who are using the AxeFX for just those kinda sounds, so who knows...

I think if run into a poweramp, and then to your favorite cab, you could get some some nice sounds and probably be pretty damn close, and I think even more so that if you know what you are doing recording-wise, you could get some excellent recorded tones out of them... even direct. I mean, come on... engineers already take DI'd tracks all the time and reamp them and hit them with a thousand plugins. I think it'd be naive to say you couldn't get similar results with the AxeFX.... except it already allows you a ton more options to tweak before the recording....

• Members

IR is the coolest {censored} around, glad to see it implemented in a modeler.

I do it with a VST host using my G9.2tt as the preamp, but native support would be nice. How's latency when using IR, anyone know? I can get mine down below 10ms pretty easy, lower than that and the G9.2tt's ASIO drivers freak out a little...

• Members

I bought my Mark IV + Cab for $1450. It will pulverize your $2300 AxeFX and leave few remains. Any questions?

Ok in all seriousness though, I don't understand. This thing seems to sound better than a POD in these clips. That is true. Hell...it better for $2300. That said, I can get a tube amp setup AND an effects rack unit for LESS and it will slay anything that will come out of the AxeFX. There is no arguing that. The thing sounds good, but you aren't going to convince many people that it sounds better than a real tube amp. So what is the point? Late night recording? If you need to be quiet late at night while recording, I'm guessing it's because you're in your bedroom. Do bedroom wank sessions really justify a $2300 modeler? Like I said...it doesn't add up to me. Cheap modelers are cool...this thing is beyond the point of being cost efficient.

• Members
Ok in all seriousness though, I don't understand. This thing seems to sound better than a POD in these clips. That is true. Hell...it better for $2300. That said, I can get a tube amp setup AND an effects rack unit for LESS and it will slay anything that will come out of the AxeFX. There is no arguing that. The thing sounds good, but you aren't going to convince many people that it sounds better than a real tube amp. So what is the point? Late night recording? If you need to be quiet late at night while recording, I'm guessing it's because you're in your bedroom. Do bedroom wank sessions really justify a $2300 modeler? Like I said...it doesn't add up to me. Cheap modelers are cool...this thing is beyond the point of being cost efficient.

If you don't need the flexibility of modeling then don't buy it. More to the point, if you don't understand the flexibility of modeling, don't post about how much better a single amp and effects are... ;)

• Members

I bought my Mark IV + Cab for $1450. It will pulverize your $2300 AxeFX and leave few remains. Any questions?

Actually, the mesa mark stuff are a few of the models the Ultra does REALLY well. The models actually sound as good or better then a lot of amps, just not better then a few great amps.

-W

• Members
Actually, the mesa mark stuff are a few of the models the Ultra does REALLY well. The models actually sound as good or better then a lot of amps, just not better then a few great amps.

-W

but with that logic a few great amps will cost a lot more than this. Especially if effects are taken into account. :wave:

• Members

I want to throw my .02 in

First the real price of a Standard is 1349 and the Ultra is 1899, you have to pay 400 dollars extra if you want to jump ahead in line (which a friend of mine did).

But then you have to add amplification midi controller etc..etc

I seriously doubt the Mark IV would pulverize the Axe, it may beat it, but it would be close.

My experience with the Axe has been limited, and I admit, I didn't find a high gain tone that I would say even came close to my Splawn or Mesa Mark III, but the Clean and mid gain stuff was pretty killer, and I was just messin' with factory presets for the most part...which have not been given high marks.

I did tweak one preset. The Albert Lead patch which has a Fender Bassman amp model that I changed to the Dumbl;e amp sim, and the thing came ALIVE

super chewy harmonic tone with so much feeling.. I was smiling ear to ear...I could roll the volume down and have an awesome clean. My rig COULD NOT get this tone no matter how hard I tried. (I have a monster rack, with the Splawn, Mesa Mark III blue stripe, and a Randall RGP1000 preamp along with a Sound Sculpture GL switching system, a Furman PQ3, a Rocktron ProQ, an ADA MQ1, a Lexicon MPX G2, a Rat R2DU, a few pedals and more..) With just the feeling and harmonic greatness I got out of the one patch I made...I have faith that my rig will be history.

I am down to weeks left before I get mine ...I hope...

• Members

Are you serious? First of all, the Standard model is only $1350 for people on the waiting list, and the EFFECTS in the amp are as good as MUCH more expensive Eventide rack effects.... and honestly, if you are into effects and progressive music, a thousand bucks is about the price of a really nice pedal board anyways. You aren't seeing the whole picture. What you are saying about an effects rack unit that will "slay" the AxeFX is pure bull{censored}. I don't think you really know much about effects. Let's just say the amp simulations weren't that great (even though they are), they'd just be icing on the cake.... the effects are VERY good, and it is capable of a LOT of things.

• Members

I want to throw my .02 in

First the real price of a Standard is 1359 and the Ultra is 1999, you have to pay 400 dollars extra if you want to jump ahead in line (which a friend of mine did).

But then you have to add amplification midi controller etc..etc

I seriously doubt the Mark IV would pulverize the Axe, it may beat it, but it would be close.

My experience with the Axe has been limited, and I admit, I didn't find a high gain tone that I would say even came close to my Splawn or Mesa Mark III, but the Clean and mid gain stuff was pretty killer, and I was just messin' with factory presets for the most part...which have not been given high marks.

I did tweak one preset. The Albert Lead patch which has a Fender Bassman amp model that I changed to the Dumbl;e amp sim, and the thing came ALIVE

super chewy harmonic tone with so much feeling.. I was smiling ear to ear...I could roll the volume down and have an awesome clean. My rig COULD NOT get this tone no matter how hard I tried. (I have a monster rack, with the Splawn, Mesa Mark III blue stripe, and a Randall RGP1000 preamp along with a Sound Sculpture GL switching system, a Furman PQ3, a Rocktron ProQ, an ADA MQ1, a Lexicon MPX G2, a Rat R2DU, a few pedals and more..) With just the feeling and harmonic greatness I got out of the one patch I made...I have faith that my rig will be history.

I am down to weeks left before I get mine ...I hope...

Prices = Standard is $1349, and Ultra is $1899

and very few people actually need the Ultra.

Another big point that makes the AxeFX so valuable that I forgot to mention in the above post is the Harmonizer. It's about 95% as good as the Eventide... and there is nothing else out there that good.....

• Members

-W

Truth. I heard a Petrucci solo clip by the "shredi knight" guy that he did using the Mark IV setting on the axefx and it sounded incredible.

• Members

The Severed Savior clip sounded decent to me, the rest didn't really. Comparing it to an amp isn't really a fair comparison to either, they are two different things, even though some may use one in place of the other. I'd like to try one out some day, and kudos to them for creating something so powerful - the FX capabilities alone on this thing are insane.

• Members

Prices = Standard is $1349, and Ultra is $1899

and very few people actually need the Ultra.

Another big point that makes the AxeFX so valuable that I forgot to mention in the above post is the Harmonizer. It's about 95% as good as the Eventide... and there is nothing else out there that good.....

People also forget the GREAT customer service.

Cliff is constantly updating and refining things. As we speak he's working on a whole new bank of eventide patches (eclipse and H8000FW favorites).

Even if you are a tube/analog FX junkie (which I am), having the Axe-FX just to use it's limitless features to design a new sound "in the box" and then use that to figure out what amps and analog pedals I need to copy that tone is invaluable and easily pays for itself. Anyone who's done prototyping work can appreciate this.

Infact, with all the routing options available (including being able to use multiple amp sims), you can actually use one single axe-FX to serve as two completely different guitarists AT THE SAME TIME, live.

I was a huge skeptic. I figured with the waiting list, I could just sell it for what I paid for it if I didn't like it. I'm keeping it. I still love and use my XTC and Triamp, but suddenly I'm not lusting for a trainwrek clone or a EVHIII or a deizel.

-W

• Members

That first clip is amazing. The clips on AxeFX's site kinda sucked mule knuts to me. That first clip though.... Yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar any day. It kinda lacked the punch or the breath of a mic'd cab but being an MP3 that coulda been stripped out when it was ripped.

EDIT: ... and not much more than a Triaxis... Hmmmmmmm

• Members

That first clip is amazing. The clips on AxeFX's site kinda sucked mule knuts to me. That first clip though.... Yeah, I'd buy that for a dollar any day. It kinda lacked the punch or the breath of a mic'd cab but being an MP3 that coulda been stripped out when it was ripped.

EDIT: ... and not much more than a Triaxis... Hmmmmmmm

yeah, the good metal clips aren't really posted up, but they exist on the forums in the recordings section. I don't really like the diezel or powerball simulations on it, but I think the slo and some of the lead patches could be mixed and tweaked for some awesome sounds

• Members

Any news if they will sell the effects portion only?

I doubt it. The hardware would be exactly the same. Everything else is software. Not much sense in just not including software and having to redo the interface to not use models (plus it would be hackable to allow full use).

-W

• Members

Well...I figured I'd throw in my .02....and my official first "Defend the Axe-Fx" post.

I have an Ultra (probably one of the first to get one) and I love it. I have since sold the following things; JMP-1, Triaxis, Prophesy, PODxt and multiple pedals. I still have and use my H&K Switchblade and a Marshall JCM900.

I keep my AxeFx at home in a 12 space rack with a Mesa 2:90, Echoplex Digital Pro, Switchblade GL, Rane AP-26 (for piezo) and an Axon MKII amongst a couple of other units. I play Brian Moore guitars.

I love it! As a guitarist in a cover band I am able to cover any range of sounds and pretty decently. As I use the Switchblade GL I can still use my tube heads and even the effects within the Axe. I use a Rocktron All Access for Midi control. There is also a free editor and a very active community, and every time I look there seems to be a firmware update as well.

These debates always amuse me because someone is trying to convince someone else they are "more" correct....What happened to individual taste and need? With so many sounds capable and routing options (even more so with my Switchblade GL) - I can do anything and I guarantee when I play live NO ONE comes up and says..."oh man, your sound is digital!",or,"Why aren't you playing with a tube amp?". Just doesn't happen because 99% of the people we play for are not musicians.

I love (my) tube amps and I love my AxeFx.....to each his own. I can still run pedals in front of it....after it - wherever I want. Sounds great. Its just another piece of gear to broaden my horizon and afford me more flexibility. It is pricey but aren't Eventide units, high end tube amps....etc. People have been waiting months (as I did) for one of these...that speaks for itself. Thats also why they go on Ebay for hundreds more than one from Fractal. They are that good.......but they aren't for everyone.

I won't be selling mine ANYTIME soon.

Archived