Cool Bogner XTC lead clip

JoshuaLogan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds more like my axe-FX then my bogner.

The "euro" models are one of my biggest disappointments with the axe-FX, which I otherwise love (I have the ultra). They don't do the ecstasy justice, IMHO. The axe-fx has good amp feel, but it doesn't feel like the bogner.

The real amp breathes much more, has more growl, and is more 3D sounding.

For reference, the blue channel is much more organic then the red channel they modeled, and they also modeled it with the boost engaged, which is just a ton of compression and saturation.

My apologies if this clip really is an XTC. Might have just been too much compression in post and the mic was too close to the center of the cone.

-W

• Members

Sorry, guys. I was out. No, it's not Line 6, but yes, it is digital.

Like all the clips I've been posting lately, it's the Fractal Audio Axe FX. It's the Bogner XTC amp sim on the Axe-FX. I didn't say that originally, because I was tired of the "it's sounds like teh digitalz" and "I can hear teh digital feel. it doesn't sound like it feelz like a tube mapz!1!" that people were tossing around like idiots on some of the other threads I made posting up clips...

I think it was pretty obvious that it's a GOOD solid high gain lead tone with a lot of feel and expressiveness.... definitely doesn't sound digital at all and easily fooled a bunch of people. I don't blame them. I think it sounds great. And here's the best part: That was recorded DIRECT, and with NO ADDITIONAL EQING. This is the same patch that guy uses LIVE when he plugs STRAIGHT INTO THE PA. Imagine it through a power amp and guitar speakers. You would NEVER guess it was digital...

And starsnuffer, I think you're probably just saying that because you own the XTC and don't want to get rid of it and be without the tube ampz and be criticized for it. You know I'm on the waiting list, and it was obvious I had something to reveal, so it wasn't hard for you to piece it together... You're also on the board over there, so it's quite possible you'd already seen the post and listened to the clip before even seeing this thread.

Anyways, point is: The Axe-FX kicks {censored}ing ass and sounds better than a ton of tube amps I've played and owned, and records DIRECT (MUCH EASIER) better than any of them too.

• Members
Sorry, guys. I was out. No, it's not Line 6, but yes, it is digital.

Like all the clips I've been posting lately, it's the Fractal Audio Axe FX. It's the Bogner XTC amp sim on the Axe-FX. I didn't say that originally, because I was tired of the "it's sounds like teh digitalz" and "I can hear teh digital feel. it doesn't sound like it feelz like a tube mapz!1!" that people were tossing around like idiots on some of the other threads I made posting up clips...

I think it was pretty obvious that it's a GOOD solid high gain lead tone with a lot of feel and expressiveness.... definitely doesn't sound digital at all and easily fooled a bunch of people. I don't blame them. I think it sounds great. And here's the best part: That was recorded DIRECT, and with NO ADDITIONAL EQING. This is the same patch that guy uses LIVE when he plugs STRAIGHT INTO THE PA. Imagine it through a power amp and guitar speakers. You would NEVER guess it was digital...

And starsnuffer, I think you're probably just saying that because you own the XTC and don't want to get rid of it and be without the tube ampz and be criticized for it. You know I'm on the waiting list, and it was obvious I had something to reveal, so it wasn't hard for you to piece it together... You're also on the board over there, so it's quite possible you'd already seen the post and listened to the clip before even seeing this thread.

Anyways, point is: The Axe-FX kicks {censored}ing ass and sounds better than a ton of tube amps I've played and owned, and records DIRECT (MUCH EASIER) better than any of them too.

Yeah, I did kinda assume since you post over there.

Truth be told though, I'd be happy if it sounded as good as the XTC. My live rig actually consists of the Axe-FX, a soundsculpture switchblade, the XTC, and a few other gizmos and pedals. I use the XTC powersection with the Axe-FX (which is nice because the 101B has multiple poweramp and presence settings which are switchable with my amp gizmo).

I use all the Bogners channels, but I also use a few models bypassing the XTC preamp completly. The VH4, Recto, Dumble, and JCM800 are four that I use live.

Needless to say, it's VERY easy for me to A/B the real amp with the axe-FX for a legitimate comparison, and it has nothing to do with me wanting to lug around an amp head everywhere. I'd be completely content leaving my amp in my studio ;)

I think the Axe-FX can sound better then a lot of good amps, but it doesn't sound better then a few great amps. The XTC is an instrument in and of itself. It's an instrument that must be learned and practiced with to fully understand. While the axe-FX can model the tone rather well, it falls short when it comes to the expression department.

The axe-FX reacts to dynamics like a normal tube amp. The XTC is not a normal tube amp.

That said, I did enjoy the clip, but think it could be better. Less gain, for one. But like you said, he uses that patch live. Recordings generally sound better with less preamp gain then one uses live.

-W

• Members
:mad:

oh well...I do like most of the Axe-FX clips I've heard so far tho!

Same! Especially for really clean tones and really high-gain tones. I am not so much into mid-gain sounds for the most part, and would kinda question how well it can do those (but there are lots of users of it that use ONLY those sounds and love it too, so who knows....)

But yeah, squeaky clean, tight metal rhythms, and fluid lead tones are the kind of sounds I use for my playing, and from what I've heard of it so far it does all of them VERY nicely, while providing you every effect you could possibly imagine at about 1/5th the price of an upper end Eventide and on the same quality level... and that's without even mentioning all of the EQing & routing possibilities and how valuable it would be for direct recording with all of the amp/cab/mic sims and IR's.

Just trying to expose more people to it, because I'm becoming increasingly more and more confident that my whole setup will revolve around the Axe-FX very soon.

:wave:

• Members
Yeah, I did kinda assume since you post over there.

Truth be told though, I'd be happy if it sounded as good as the XTC. My live rig actually consists of the Axe-FX, a soundsculpture switchblade, the XTC, and a few other gizmos and pedals. I use the XTC powersection with the Axe-FX (which is nice because the 101B has multiple poweramp and presence settings which are switchable with my amp gizmo).

I use all the Bogners channels, but I also use a few models bypassing the XTC preamp completly. The VH4, Recto, Dumble, and JCM800 are four that I use live.

Needless to say, it's VERY easy for me to A/B the real amp with the axe-FX for a legitimate comparison, and it has nothing to do with me wanting to lug around an amp head everywhere. I'd be completely content leaving my amp in my studio
;)

I think the Axe-FX can sound better then a lot of good amps, but it doesn't sound better then a few great amps. The XTC is an instrument in and of itself. It's an instrument that must be learned and practiced with to fully understand. While the axe-FX can model the tone rather well, it falls short when it comes to the expression department.

The axe-FX reacts to dynamics like a normal tube amp. The XTC is not a normal tube amp.

That said, I did enjoy the clip, but think it could be better. Less gain, for one. But like you said, he uses that patch live. Recordings generally sound better with less preamp gain then one uses live.

-W

I understand what you're saying. I just don't want you to word it in the way that gives it a negative connotation, because I know you think very highly of the Axe-FX too. Most of the things you were comparing are just personal preference you know? Some people might like more gain and some compression like that (I'm one of them). Anyways, the point isn't that it has to replace or be better than every great tube amp around, but that it can rather easily hang with any of them while at the same time being much more versatile, you know? ;)

• Members

:freak:

Just looked it up...It better sound {censored}ing good.

It's not as expensive as you think it is. If you wait on the waiting list the Standard version is only $1350, which is a hell of a {censored}ing deal for all of the effects it has and the quality level they're at. It's on the same level as Eventide effects racks four times the price. If you added up all those effects individually on a pedalboard, or tried to get the same quality in a rack unit in JUST EFFECTS you'd be paying a lot more. You really gotta look over all the features and routing/EQing/tweaking ability to see what all this thing can do and you start to realize it's actually a pretty damn good value for what all it offers.

Of course, I suppose it's a lot easier to notice the value if you are into effects too.... if you're one of the typical boring meathead guys that play ONLY metal and don't know how to use effects, then I could see being a little put off from it (although there are a few guys like that over there that only really use the high gain amp sims and nothing else and are completely in love with the Axe-FX)...

• Members

Was that the Ultra or the Standard AXEFX? What is the price on the Ultra's? That sounded great to me and makes me want one now.

I'm not sure exactly. It might just be the Standard version. The amp sims are pretty much the same on both, so if that's what you were mainly interested in, there'd be no need to get the Ultra.

The waiting list prices are $1350 for the Standard and $1900 for the Ultra.

Here is a chart comparing the features between the two versions:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

• Members

It's not as expensive as you think it is. If you wait on the waiting list the Standard version is only $1350, which is a hell of a {censored}ing deal for all of the effects it has and the quality level they're at. It's on the same level as Eventide effects racks four times the price. If you added up all those effects individually on a pedalboard, or tried to get the same quality in a rack unit in JUST EFFECTS you'd be paying a lot more. You really gotta look over all the features and routing/EQing/tweaking ability to see what all this thing can do and you start to realize it's actually a pretty damn good value for what all it offers.

Of course, I suppose it's a lot easier to notice the value if you are into effects too.... if you're one of the typical boring meathead guys that play ONLY metal and don't know how to use effects, then I could see being a little put off from it (although there are a few guys like that over there that only really use the high gain amp sims and nothing else and are completely in love with the Axe-FX)...

Yeah I getcha. I was just uneducated on it. Had no idea what it was when I went to look it up.

• Members

Yeah I getcha. I was just uneducated on it. Had no idea what it was when I went to look it up.

Yeah, I was just going over the features... because it's annoying when the closed minded guys who know nothing about it start saying things like "Blah blah blah, it's an overpriced glorified POD!!1!" when just the effects alone are worth more than what the thing costs.

• Members

Are you going to keep your timefactor?

I'm not 100% sure on that yet. All my other pedals are getting sold for sure, but I might keep the TimeFactor. The delays on it are REALLY nice, but the Axe-FX will easily cover any kind of delay on it and much, much more... but the reason I might keep it is because of how convenient it is for looping and some of the cool {censored} it can do by twisting different control knobs while a loop is playing back. It also can act like a midi controller, so I could use it to controll things on the Axe-FX.

I still have the ModFactor on preorder. I don't think it's been released yet. I'm just gonna leave myself on preorder for it and try it out when it gets to me just to see how cool it is, but then it'll be getting boxed back up and going on ebay.

• Members
lols. funny guyz. i see whut u did ther
:cop:

:rolleyes:

Weird answer me thought, but now I see why. Sheeesh...you wrote "cool Bogner XTC lead clip" in the thread title, why would I need to read through the thread just to find out the title was bull{censored}ting me?

Really, I heard the clip, didn't bother to read the thread. If you think it sounded good, be my guest :thu: I really think it sounded quite tiny, and Bogners are usually on the thicker side.

• Members
Weird answer me thought, but now I see why. Sheeesh...you wrote "cool Bogner XTC lead clip" in the thread title, why would I need to read through the thread just to find out the title was bull{censored}ting me?

Really, I heard the clip, didn't bother to read the thread. If you think it sounded good, be my guest
:thu:
I really think it sounded quite tiny, and Bogners are usually on the thicker side.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm obviously not the only one who thought it sounded good...

Archived