So, I completely bombed my Calc 2 exam today...

JoshuaLogan

• Members

I hated Calculus (CS degree here). We were only required to take 2 Calc courses, luckily. I used my Math electives elsewhere. I'm not even sure why we had to take it; I sure as hell haven't used any calc in the 4 years I've been out of school. Discrete math is/was much more practical...

Yea, I've been doing 3D simulation and games stuff for the last two years and I haven't run across needing diff EQ.

I'm sure there are some specialized areas where you need it but I hardly think it's a core degree requirement. Discrete math and linear algebra, now that I see everywhere.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keep working at it. Profs will often give you credit for improving over time.

Calculus is easy if you do the work. Memorize all of the important forms. There are only like 20 of them. If you make some flash cards you'll get them down in an hour.

• Members

I was fortunate enough to have tested out of Calc 1 and 2 from the AP credits in high school, but yeah that sh!t was hard... Diff Eq sucked a big fat one too. Matrix algebra was a pain but manageable.

Classes that sucked a lot:

Computers as Components (Digital Logic 1)

Linear Systems

Probability

Diff Eq

Classes that were f#$king cool:

Optical Electronics and Lasers as Communication devices

Brains, Minds, and Computers

Antenna Theory

Fields Lab

• Members

Sweet raptor jesus, why on earth did you take that, specifically, for an elective credit?!?

lol noooo I didn't mean as a throw-away elective credit. I'm taking it because it's a prerequisite for the junior and senior EE courses, but it's filling the remaining elective credits for my AA right now. You need a certain number of required credits and a certain number of elective credits.... it's up to you if you want throw-away electives or not, but it's best to try to use them to get as many prereqs out of the way as possible. The only non-elective credits I still need are life-science.... but I'm taking an intro to bio course to cover that right now.

• Members

Digital Logic (read that as "Assembly Language programming") and Linear Systems really hit me hard... That stuff made zero sense...

Hahah, oh man. You would've loved the hardware class where we had to write a disassembler for the Motorola 68k in 68k assembly language.

It's not really all that hard it's just a whole lot of tedious rearranging of data.

• Members

Hahah, oh man. You would've loved the hardware class where we had to write a disassembler for the Motorola 68k in 68k assembly language.

It's not really all that hard it's just a whole lot of tedious rearranging of data.

F^#k.

That.

8086 was enough. That one and my Capstone were enough to let me know I have the right major (not CS or EC, but EE). Capstone we had a guy that got mono half way thru the semester, so I had to take over his duties and mine. Having never programmed a DSP chip, I think I did a pretty good job of teaching myself how to do it.

• Members

F^#k.

That.

8086 was enough. That one and my Capstone were enough to let me know I have the right major (not CS or EC, but EE). Capstone we had a guy that got mono half way thru the semester, so I had to take over his duties and mine. Having never programmed a DSP chip, I think I did a pretty good job of teaching myself how to do it.

At my old college they were having the CS students take digital circuit design and hardware. Not quite sure why they made us take circuit design but it was pretty fun. In the hardware class he, for some reason, thought we needed to do some 8086 machine code :freak:

I mean it's 1-1 with assembly instructions, but why the hell make us use hexidecimal machine instructions instead of stuff we can actually read? I did get to piss the EE's off in the class by getting the highest grade on the midterm while being the only CS student in the class :lol:.

• Members

I had A's in Calc 1 (AP), 3 and 4. Got a B in 2 but I would have had an A with a teacher who could speak English. Diff EQ wasn't that bad at all IMO.

Now physics, ugh. Actually got a D last semester, meaning I have to retake it. Gravity, friction, potential energy, inertia....just doesn't click with me. Didn't help that the tests were 91308% harder than the homework. Homework was pretty easy, then you sit down at the test and go WTF? Pass rate must be less than half in that class, and IMO it shouldn't be any harder than calc 1-4.

Maybe I should just drop EE and major in math, my grades say I'm better at it.

• Members
LOL. That was my EXACT thought on reading that.
:thu:

Our diff-eq class was an utter bitch. Probably the roughest math class to make a good grade in at our school... Heck, it was almost as bad as E/M Fields... The EEs literally called E/M fields "pre-business class" because it precipitated so many people having to completely drop out of the engineering college and switch into something else (usually "business").

Nobody ever warned me about how bad Diff Eq. was. :evil: Screwed up royally midway through the semester, so I had to drop it and try it again. Ended up with a B+ or something when it was done, so I'm happy.

Math classes can destroy your GPA if you get a bad teacher and you aren't good at self-teaching yourself. I didn't realize this until second semester of sophomore year. I changed my class scheduling strategy to revolve around math classes to compensate: research all of the teachers for a class, try for the best one at any time, and schedule the rest of the classes around that. Things got better from then on.

Something else to consider is taking a difficult class during the summer, either at your school or at a local community college and getting transfer credit. Obviously you want to make sure it transfers over before you do this, but it lets you make up for lost time in some cases.

• Members

I made the wonderful decision of getting my AA first and literally need NO bull{censored} classes when I started my major.

I started at a college that was on a trimester system so we took 4-5 classes per trimester. My schedule was either:

2 CS Classes
2 EE Classes
1 Math Class

or

2 CS Classes
1 EE Class
1 Physics Class
1 Math Class

Then I transferred over to a University of Washington annexed campus (Bothell) and instead of having lots of classes we were bombarded with big group projects that all started and ended at the same time. I learned a {censored} ton and it made me a much better Software Engineer but god if they didn't push us.

• Members

Haha. I took this class last year as a junior in highschool. I got a 4 on the AP exam so I got credit for the class. Man, it was my favorite class.

Don't be too proud. It all depends on the school and the specific teacher you have.... that, and my high school didn't really have any AP classes. We had honors classes, but not AP

• Members
Don't be too proud. It all depends on the school and the specific teacher you have.... that, and my high school didn't really have any AP classes. We had honors classes, but not AP

Sucks :( I'm taking the BC AP exam this year with a good teacher, so hopefully I can avoid this crap in college. I got lucky though, the asshat who taught me pre calc got fired. No way I could pass this course with him teaching...

• Members
Not really, actually. AP is run by collegeboard sooo it's pretty much the same for everyone
:o

His teacher had to be good enough to teach it well, but still.

Sucks that your school didn't even have it though.

Ehh, it still has to to be taught. Just wait til you get to college man. The teacher makes ALL the difference. More than once I've taken the same exact class with two different people and the differences in what you learn and how difficult the course is are HUGE. That's why websites like ratemyprofessors.com exist. Getting stuck with an insanely tough teacher can completely ruin things :(

• Members

wait man.

At least where i studied it was better to start bad and finish good than the other way.

Don't give up, if the teacher sees your progress he/she will know that you had a bad day and will find a way to encourage you and help you out.

Don't complain anymore and set yourself to do a great job on the upcoming exams and the rest of the class.

Mojo sent your way and forget about what happened and focus on the upcoming events!!!!

Take care and be well, you will do fine man!

Archived