Cool Axe-FX Video Review

JoshuaLogan

• Members

This guy did a video review of the Axe-FX for youtube. Talks a lot about it and shows some playing on different guitars and different styles... pretty cool. Check it out.

Him just talking about his thoughts about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5HEvAeQgQ&feature=user

Him playing through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_l420DWgvQ&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TTO5ADhzg&feature=user

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wish he had recorded using a mic instead of what's on the camcorder.

+1. I think it would have been a little more impressive. I was also disappointed he used an Atomic with it, too. I'd prefer to hear it direct rather than through a tube power section if I'm trying to decide how tubey it sounds on its own.

But overall, it was really a great demo and it was really organized and made sense.

Still no GAS, though.... ;)

Although it was pretty funny in the second part when he hits that first patch, where it's the like "turn my guitar into a synth" setting... I mean the dude clearly pops a boner. He looks excited, confused, and embarassed all at once.... He's not sure if he should keep playing, say something, or simply start licking his rack.

So, it's nice to see someone enjoying their stuff to that level even if it is a total geek fest.

• Members

Why are you disappointed he used an Atomic?

Due to this:

I'd prefer to hear it direct rather than through a tube power section if I'm trying to decide how tubey it sounds on its own.

Don't get me wrong it's not a huge issue and doesn't ruin the demo by any means.

But, the thing's strength is direct and the guy says he uses it direct. I personally would want to use it in a home studio setting without a power amp if I got one, so I'd prefer to hear it in a more similar setup and to grok the much vaunted intrinsic tubularity of the thing without having to wonder if some of it is coming from something else.

Since he did use an Atomic, I think he should have miced it if possible though if he really wanted it to shine, as LaXu noted.

• Members

What sold me is in the deep edit of the preamp model. You can get in and define the sag, power selection, output transformer type. So its more than emulating a particular sound. Its like a built in Revalver type custom tools.

Says he defines sounds from schematics. Dunno how much better that is.

Other thing that grabbed me was serial parallel efx combos. Multiple instances if you want it. Impulse Response thing is cool. That was demod at their site.

Just listen with headphones on your pc and you can hear the air. Hook up to a PA system and you can feel the difference with IR's. Nothing else does that.

• Members

$1750..==

Uber

Mako

Rocca,,

peters,,

(confused....)....why bother..?

*I* chose the AxeFX because I can have a Fender Twin, a Tweed Deluxe, an AC30, a hot-rodded Matchless, a couple different Marshalls, and even a Trainwreck or Dumble onstage. And be able to switch back-n-forth from amp to amp, without carrying anything more than a 4-space rack and my guitars into the club. Gigging with this thing is much easier than carrying even ONE combo around, and it sounds like as many different rigs as you want.

• Members

*I* chose the AxeFX because I can have a Fender Twin, a Tweed Deluxe, an AC30, a hot-rodded Matchless, a couple different Marshalls, and even a Trainwreck or Dumble onstage. And be able to switch back-n-forth from amp to amp, without carrying anything more than a 4-space rack and my guitars into the club. Gigging with this thing is much easier than carrying even ONE combo around, and it sounds like as many different rigs as you want.

not to mention cabs of choice! new IR cabs, what is there now , 500 or mor speaker type IR's?? :D

After the show and hearing regulars that heard us before say they liked it better, I'm up for maybe not carrying the brootalz heavy rig. Time will tell but I'm open minded. May take 3 months to get mine, but what the hell.

Archived