Cool Axe-FX Video Review

JoshuaLogan

• Members

You can have any one of a number of great amps for that price. But you can't have 'em all.

ZACTLY)))

FWIW, I bought mine more for the amp modeling than anything else. I am now using it through 2 great powered monitors and that is my full setup (along with my Midi Mate)

I am not missing my GREAT tube amps at all.))

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I already had a few sexy tube amps when I bought my ultra. My thinking was, "well, gee, I can buy every other amp I'm gassing for, maybe one or two a year, or I can get this thing. . ."

Actually I bought it just for FX, but turns out the modeling stuff is damn good. The cool thing is you can make your own amps. You can totally change the tone stack, the power amp, even change the transformers in the poweramp.

I 'm not gassing for any of the other amps I was gassing for before.

-W

• Members

$1750..==

Uber

Mako

Rocca,,

peters,,

(confused....)....why bother..?

Sure, you can get a great amp for that price (although all you listed are closer to $2000), but it almost always only excells at ONE sound. If you only play one kind of music, don't use effects, and only use one sound when you play guitar, then sure.... go for one good amp you have a thing for, but a lot people want more options and more versatility than that.

By the way, the Bogner Ecstacy clip I posted a while ago that you LIKED was the Axe-FX, not an Ecstacy.

P.S. Don't judge the video on just the Atomic. It sounds good, yes, but not necessarily the best way to use it. A lot of people are loving using it through 1 or 2 QSC HPR122i powered monitors. If you aren't familiar with QSC, they make pretty much the best full-range (PA, monitors, etc.) gear available to us, without getting up into $5,000 per monitor area.

The reason behind using the QSC's is because they are very powerful, clear, and they are FRFR (Full Range & Flat Response), which means what you hear out of them will be near identical to the sound you get out of them when direct recording. And this thing includes many cab, speaker, and mic sims, but also has the ability for custom IRs (Impulse Responses) to be loaded. This is another thing that adds value to it... It could easily replace something like the Palmer DI units that a lot of people use, and those are $400-$500 themselves.

Of course, you can also use the Axe-FX with a power amp (tube or solid state) into your favorite guitar cabs (A lot of them too.. the thing has 4 outputs, not including the FX loop, which could be used as an extra output). You can turn off the all the sims except for the amps and get awesome results this way. The only problem with this is the same problem you have with real amps. A 4x12 with V30's is never going to sound that great for cleans compared ot open back 2x12's, 4x10's, and cabs using warmer speakers designed for cleans. Another example would be using the AC30... using the alnico blues speaker sim would sound much better than running it through your V30 cab. So, you are very limited, unless you have a ton of different cabs for various sounds and styles of playing... and if you wanted to play live like that, it'd take a lot of gear to move and a complex switching system to have the cabs set up for the right sounds.

And things like the intelligent pitchshifting in the unit can not be found anywhere else besides with it or Eventide. There is nowhere else you can get intelligent pitchshifting of that quality.

It also has various graphic and parametric EQ's, noise gates, etc. All are highly routable and extremely good.

I'm not pushing it on anyone or anything. I just thought the video was cool and wanted to show it. I also don't think the video was really anything amazing sounding... There are a few sounds he used I like a lot, and a few I didn't like, but that's not the point. Everyone's into different sounds. And me going over the features and everything it can do which makes it extremely valuable is just because people don't realize everything it can do when and say stupid things about the price. It's totally fine if you aren't interested in all the features, but to someone who WOULD use them, it's not even expensive when you take into account everything you get.

• Members

So, what is the difference between the Axe-FX and the Ultra?

Well, I already answered you last time you aksed that... I guess you didn't see it... but this goes over the differences between them:

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index.php?title=Feature_comparison

The Ultra has more processing power and more memory. It allows you to run more things at the same time. It's mainly for people who want more effects capabilities, but because of extra memory it also allows you to run multiple amps (routed however you'd like) together too, which is really cool. You can do it on the Standard too, but not as easily, because of having less memory to work with.

But for the most part, if you don't use a lot of effects, the Standard is all you'd need.

• Members

I love the Axe-Fx. I have had it for over a year and I have no amp gas whatsoever! I have a Marshall JMP that has been modded with an fx loop and run the Axe-FX into that live... I only use the power section of the Marshall. When there is a decent PA, I run direct and I actually like that sound better. I record direct with it as well as mic'ed and I LOVE the direct sounds I get.

It is well worth the money...

• Members

i did like it..and im not saying there is anything wrong
with it..but if i have to choose between the 2..im going
for something with Tubes in it...to say those amps
have only 1 sound is wrong...I have modelers and i have
SS stuff..( its not bad.) just different..I wail my ass
off thru my Berhinger (20 watt) SS pos...but i would
rather have glowing tubes then SS in my chain...

just me...

when i use an amp..i record dry and then add effects
in the mix..(im never one for synth type stuff.)
i have keyboard and it would proably be easier to do
patches on that then to try to reinvent the wheel..

also im not against using it (in a mix) with real tube amps,
i think that might be pretty cool..( say as the wet side of
things.)..but i just couldnt see it as my only amp..

(its sweet piece)..but i rarely go for something like
this as a main amp...( to record.-proably would be very
nice to have.)..:)

The prices for the standard and ultra on their yahoo store are inflated, specifically to discourage people from doing a buy it now and not waiting in line on the wait list. The real prices are $1350 for the Axe-FX Standard and $1900 for the Axe-FX Ultra. Within the next 2 months or so production is going to be increased and the waiting list is supposed to disappear.

Before commenting on the price, you should take into account everything it can do...

This thing can do every and anything an Eventide Eclipse effects rack unit can do, at comparable or even better quality, and those are roughly the same price, not including any of the great amp, pedal, cab, speaker, or mic sims. For someone who loves effects, it's a no brainer.

Also, Cliff, the designer, listens to everyone using it and CONSTANTLY releases new firmware upgrades (for free) with many new features, new amps, new effects, and improved quality. Almost no one else does anything like that. The product is constantly having functionality added to it, and you don't have to pay a dime extra for it.

Sure, you can get a great amp for that price (although all you listed are closer to $2000), but it almost always only excells at ONE sound. If you only play one kind of music, don't use effects, and only use one sound when you play guitar, then sure.... go for one good amp you have a thing for, but a lot people want more options and more versatility than that.

By the way, the Bogner Ecstacy clip I posted a while ago that you LIKED was the Axe-FX, not an Ecstacy.

P.S. Don't judge the video on just the Atomic. It sounds good, yes, but not necessarily the best way to use it. A lot of people are loving using it through 1 or 2 QSC HPR122i powered monitors. If you aren't familiar with QSC, they make pretty much the best full-range (PA, monitors, etc.) gear available to us, without getting up into $5,000 per monitor area.

The reason behind using the QSC's is because they are very powerful, clear, and they are FRFR (Full Range & Flat Response), which means what you hear out of them will be near identical to the sound you get out of them when direct recording. And this thing includes many cab, speaker, and mic sims, but also has the ability for custom IRs (Impulse Responses) to be loaded. This is another thing that adds value to it... It could easily replace something like the Palmer DI units that a lot of people use, and those are $400-$500 themselves.

Of course, you can also use the Axe-FX with a power amp (tube or solid state) into your favorite guitar cabs (A lot of them too.. the thing has 4 outputs, not including the FX loop, which could be used as an extra output). You can turn off the all the sims except for the amps and get awesome results this way. The only problem with this is the same problem you have with real amps. A 4x12 with V30's is never going to sound that great for cleans compared ot open back 2x12's, 4x10's, and cabs using warmer speakers designed for cleans. Another example would be using the AC30... using the alnico blues speaker sim would sound much better than running it through your V30 cab. So, you are very limited, unless you have a ton of different cabs for various sounds and styles of playing... and if you wanted to play live like that, it'd take a lot of gear to move and a complex switching system to have the cabs set up for the right sounds.

And things like the intelligent pitchshifting in the unit can not be found anywhere else besides with it or Eventide. There is nowhere else you can get intelligent pitchshifting of that quality.

It also has various graphic and parametric EQ's, noise gates, etc. All are highly routable and extremely good.

I'm not pushing it on anyone or anything. I just thought the video was cool and wanted to show it. I also don't think the video was really anything amazing sounding... There are a few sounds he used I like a lot, and a few I didn't like, but that's not the point. Everyone's into different sounds. And me going over the features and everything it can do which makes it extremely valuable is just because people don't realize everything it can do when and say stupid things about the price. It's totally fine if you aren't interested in all the features, but to someone who WOULD use them, it's not even expensive when you take into account everything you get.

• Members

i like the way tubes smell...:)

because it feels better when i play thru them then
when i play thru SS stuff.( even at the top level.)
im not saying its bad..it just feels better when i
spank the plank..:)

One tone....vs many tones, effects, almost an entire studio of sounds

Why bother with one silly amp that you can't even record direct with?

• Members

i like the way tubes smell...
:)

because it feels better when i play thru them then

when i play thru SS stuff.( even at the top level.)

im not saying its bad..it just feels better when i

spank the plank..
:)

I understand what you're saying, man. We all have that bias. Trust me, even thinking about playing through powered monitors instead of guitar cabs weirds me out. But I'm trying to stay open minded about it and want to try it for myself.

And about the feel... that has been a criticism of modeling for a long time, but a LOT of people are saying the Axe-FX feels exactly like a good tube amp. And these aren't just every day guys coming from PODs. A lot of these guys have had high end amps like Fargen, Matchless, Bogner, Diezel, etc., and they have sold them off after getting the Axe-FX and trying it for themselves. That is the first thing that really got me curious. If it can win over even the most diehard of snobs, there must be something great about it.

It's tough as a guitarist used to real amps and cabs to make that transition, especially with all of the people (like some in this thread) that have strong biases and talk {censored} ridiculing you. BUT if this thing sounds as good to me in person as many of the recordings I've heard, I won't have a problem using it. After all, the SOUND and feel, I suppose, are really all that matters.

• Members

i dont mind playing thru weird stuff..( makes it fun.)
but i dont think that ( at least right now) that any
SS amp is going to really sound as good as tubes..
esp in the feel of the amp.

im sure you emulate some amps..but if i can get a
decent rip on the amp..and then tweak it,id rather do it
that way.alot of amps are diode based now.
( Cameron,Bog,Diezel,)
but in there are Tubes..and they still contribute to the
sounds..you cant really get past that part.

I understand what you're saying, man. We all have that bias. Trust me, even thinking about playing through powered monitors instead of guitar cabs weirds me out. But I'm trying to stay open minded about it and want to try it for myself.

And about the feel... that has been a criticism of modeling for a long time, but a LOT of people are saying the Axe-FX feels exactly like a good tube amp. And these aren't just every day guys coming from PODs. A lot of these guys have had high end amps like Fargen, Matchless, Bogner, Diezel, etc., and they have sold them off after getting the Axe-FX and trying it for themselves. That is the first thing that really got me curious. If it can win over even the most diehard of snobs, there must be something great about it.

It's tough as a guitarist used to real amps and cabs to make that transition, especially with all of the people (like some in this thread) that have strong biases and talk {censored} ridiculing you. BUT if this thing sounds as good to me in person as many of the recordings I've heard, I won't have a problem using it. After all, the SOUND and feel, I suppose, are really all that matters.

• Members

i dont mind playing thru weird stuff..( makes it fun.)

but i dont think that ( at least right now) that any

SS amp is going to really sound as good as tubes..

esp in the feel of the amp.

im sure you emulate some amps..but if i can get a

decent rip on the amp..and then tweak it,id rather do it

that way.alot of amps are diode based now.

( Cameron,Bog,Diezel,)

but in there are Tubes..and they still contribute to the

sounds..you cant really get past that part.

Yeah, but you've never tried this. This is unlike anything that has ever been made before. You can't really know what'd be like without trying it, eh?

• Members

this thing definetly seems cool for sure..but I'd have to hear and play one in person to make a final judgement (as with anything else)..

alotta the vids I'm seeing (and I haven't seen them all mind you, but quite a few) show off the delays and such more than anything else..which is cool and all, but I get great delay from my $200 boss DD-20...

I'd like to play one in person to see what the hub bub's about

• Members

Yeah, but you've never tried this. This is unlike anything that has ever been made before. You can't really know what'd be like without trying it, eh?

Seconding that. The one thing that AxeFX has over any other modeler around, including the top-end computer-based modelers (especially Amplitube's most recent release, which matches its modeling complexity and depth, and in my opinion can produce tones that are just as authentic within the range of its models). Though they and even some of the footboard-console modelers (though in a much more limited sense with the $600 and below floor units, for the most part) can get some excellent sounds, the AxeFX dominates in "feel."

• Members
Josh, you need to preface all your posts on this thing with links to

"Ultra Price = 1900.00"

"Standard Price =1350.00"

""This unit is on par with $2000.00 + FX processors ala Eventide"

"
The difference between the Ultra and Standard is
"

It seems like the posts always go there

He's obsessed with it now that he put money down on one.

It's like he needs external validation to sooth his purchase decision so he's trying to convince the forum to have the same preferences for tone as he does. :p

• Members

It's like he needs external validation to sooth his purchase decision so he's trying to convince the forum to have the same preferences for tone as he does.
:p

Buying an AxeFX seems sort of like joining Scientology in that regard. ;)

Repeat after me: I have an AxeFx, and I have a massive boner! It gives me all the love I need!:

AxeFXWood.jpg

• Members

It's like he needs external validation to sooth his purchase decision so he's trying to convince the forum to have the same preferences for tone as he does.
:p

Or maybe it's because people make the same retarded comments over and over? Don't comment on the price if you have no clue what all it can do and don't know what you're talking about. Seems pretty obvious, huh?

As far the thing comparting the Standard and the Ultra, he asked me what the difference was... I answered him. What's your problem?

P.S. You don't put any money down on them to be on the waiting list. Again, you seem to not know anything about it.

• Members

true..im not denying that its decent.what i feel about
those things are its always a close second.
i have Vamps..( bass and geetar.)..and i have 1/2 stacks
as well.(wanting another one too.)..but i cant see using
it as my "main" thing.i played jazz as a kid and there
something about wood and tubes and that just works for
me.maybe its just more "organic" .?..i had freinds who
had hollow-body guitars that were like playing a hot
wired acoustic..(you know what i mean.?) ..it a "live"
instrument..(like say a violin, or something.)..to me
thats that why i stick to tubes and wood..

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/BobDenver/P9187084.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/BobDenver/P9187085.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/BobDenver/P9187090.jpg

• Members

Josh, you need to preface all your posts on this thing with links to

"Ultra Price = 1900.00"

"Standard Price =1350.00"

""This unit is on par with $2000.00 + FX processors ala Eventide"

"
"

It seems like the posts always go there

Haha, yeah..... it's because people always look at the website and quote inaccurate prices, and then they'll say something stupid about it being a overpriced pod, because they don't know what all it can do, so I have to tell them about the effects, and then some guy will ask me what the difference between the ultra and standard is so I have to post that link. It's always the same stuff....

• Members

this thing definetly seems cool for sure..but I'd have to hear and play one in person to make a final judgement (as with anything else)..

alotta the vids I'm seeing (and I haven't seen them all mind you, but quite a few) show off the delays and such more than anything else..which is cool and all, but I get great delay from my $200 boss DD-20...

I'd like to play one in person to see what the hub bub's about

Well, they are showing off "delays and such", because it's one of the best effects processors in the world. Disregarding the amp modeling, it's pretty much the same type of unit as an Eventide effects processor... People buying it for effects want to hear the effects...

And you might get decent delay from a DD-20, but nothing like this...

• Members

i buy the cheap one..all ready have tons of effects..

one good rack peice and the "standard" would be plenty.

I agree. For most people the standard is all that'd be needed. I only got talked into the Ultra because I love effects and it can do some things the Standard can't do... like looping, synth, extra multi-tap delays, faster tracking for the pitch shifting/harmonizer, extra graphic & parametric EQ's, extra memory to allow more things to be run at the same time, etc.

• Members

I posted a few threads about the Axe when I first had got on the list, and went through a lot of the same stuff here.

(I didn't post nearly as many times as you have though)

but, the sad part of the deal is...you are just excited about finding this "new" piece of gear and you want to share it with others, and then you get flamed for sharing.

I totally admit, I am still up in the air about the Axe, and I have actually played one (which I would say was quite an eye opening experience), but I have also spent quite a bit of time weighing all the comments I have read, and 99+% comes out to "this box is the real deal".

So if I can ditch my 24 space rack my (2) 4 X 12's (2)1 X 12's and all my heads and cords and well you get the idea....sign me up.

Well I am signed up, but I am definitely going to be putting some quality time in with the Axe to find out if it can do it for ME!?!

I sure hope it can and does, and I am not going to worry about the people who comedown on me for being excited.

Archived