VHT Fatbottom 4x12 vs. Deliverance 4x12 - contradicting opinions?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

Okay, I've read tons and tons of things about these two cabs compared to each other and the info I've gotten is all over the place. Some people say the Fatbottom is way tighter. Some people say the Deliverance is way tighter. Some people say the Fatbottom is a little tighter, but the Deliverance is more open, overall better sounding, and still 90% as tight as the Fatbottom. And then there's other people who say the Deliverance cab is extremely loose and don't like it at all....

So, what's up with all of these contradicting opinions? I mean, I know people all have different setups and all, but some of the things I've heard about these two cabs are opposite extremes.

About the only solid "facts" I've gotten out of it is that the Fatbottom is very tight and focused, but really directional, and the Deliverance is more open and disperses sound better...

I'm really interested in one of these two cabs, but I don't know which one...

• Members

i played both cabs side by side last year with the same amp and i went in wanting to buy a fb and i came home with a dcab, the fb was a little bit tighter but i didnt like the way it sounded, it seemed like it had more highs and was thinner sounding, the dcab sounded warmer to me and bigger sounding with a wider projection.

• Members

I have both now.

Recorded with a FB: http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25376

Recorded with a D412: http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25644

Same rig (Carvin CT into a Deliverance 120), same mics (Cascade Fatbottom II and a Heil PR30). Some variance due to mic placement and room variance, but you can hear a little bit of the cabinet differences IMHO. The D412 is almost brand new, so it will loosen a bit further as well.

• Members

i played both cabs side by side last year with the same amp and i went in wanting to buy a fb and i came home with a dcab, the fb was a little bit tighter but i didnt like the way it sounded, it seemed like it had more highs and was thinner sounding, the dcab sounded warmer to me and bigger sounding with a wider projection.

You have an uber cab too don't you? Which would you say is tighter sounding -- the uber or the deliverance cab? My bogner cab is the standard cab with all v30's, but the uber and standard cab are the same construction-wise.

I guess a comparison between it and a v30 mesa traditional cab would be cool to hear too...

• Members

you live in central florida... there are GC's and SamAsh's everywhere, not to mention other guitar stores. what's so hard?

I could be wrong but I don't think they carry VHT's at our stores... there might be some at the smaller shops though. I'll have to check around for some dealers I guess...

• Members

There is no way in hell that the Deliverance cab is Tighter than the FATbottom. NO WAY.

Both have a similar smooth/processed sounding high end. The deliverance cab is a bit more open, the fatbottom more focused.

Would you say the that deliverance is a loose cab, though? Or is it still tighter than most v30 cabs out there? (like Bogner, Mesa, Orange, Splawn, etc.)

I want a tight sound, but the deliverance cab being more open and "bigger" sounding is appealing too..... Is it still fairly tight, and the fatbottom is just super tight, or is the deliverance just a loose cab, or what?

• Members

East Coast Music

6976 N. Atlantic Ave.

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

Phone: (321) 783-5860

FAX: (321) 783-3847

Synergy Guitars Corp.

1120 Holland Dr. Suite 13

Boca Raton, FL 33487

Phone: 561-999-0533

Fax: 561-999-0535

I cant believe that you just listed Synergy...get ready to get torched!!!!!!!

• Members

The biggest difference is heard when the amp is played loud. Any comparison in tightness to the FB goes right out the window when volume is pumped through the Dcab.

The Dcab seems to work alot better if you play in standard tuning.>Still pretty tight but if you drop to C or even standard a whole step down, the lows are nowhere near focused enough for what I'd want to hear..

The cab itself sounds like a percussive drum because of the bracing..Think about the resonance you hear when you strike a drum..There you go

• Members

Is the fatbottom so tight that it sounds bad for cleans? I imagine the deliverance cab would sound more natural and better for clean playing...

That was the 1 advantage the Dcab had yeah..

The Cleans are not bad on the Fatbottom though. You basically loose alot of the resonance that a rear loaded cab affords you..

The cab is so tight that the notes project outward alot quicker.

• Members

Hmm.... I'll guess I'll see what I can do about trying both. If the Deliverance cab is tighter than the rearloaded cabs I'm used to it might be tight enough for me.

I am pretty interested in front loaded cabs and these P50E speakers though... lately I've been noticing there are certain things that annoy me about v30s. For some reason I have a strong feeling that I'd like either of these vht cabs more than my Bogner cab... I need to try them out and find out.

• Members

That was the 1 advantage the Dcab had yeah..

The Cleans are not bad on the Fatbottom though. You basically loose alot of the resonance that a rear loaded cab affords you..

The cab is so tight that the notes project outward alot quicker.

One more comment here.... that wouldn't necessarily be a problem if I added reverb to the cleans coming front the fatbottom though, right?

EDIT: Oh, and not that I'm into them that much or anything, but just read that Unearth uses the Deliverance cabs.... and I know they play 7 strings, so that cab would still have to be pretty tight I'd think... yeah?

• Members

One more comment here.... that wouldn't necessarily be a problem if I added reverb to the cleans coming front the fatbottom though, right?

EDIT: Oh, and not that I'm into them that much or anything, but just read that Unearth uses the Deliverance cabs.... and I know they play 7 strings, so that cab would still have to be pretty tight I'd think... yeah?

You know, I would normally have to agree but I know what I heard from that cab(other HC formties could atest to this as well) and it wasnt anything to write home about, I wish it was. I was dissapointed.

Also take into consideration that Unearth boost their amps and that takes away alot of the dynamic range of the overall frequencies,cuts alot of bass.. That compression of the signal makes the bass easier to handle so that could be a good thing with this cab.

Archived